Globecar 600L Automatic

sandalwood

The 600L is basically a cut down version of our 636SB Campscout, I have cast a critical eye over this model as I was interested as to how it might work for us.

Our conclusion was the Galley area was too compromised for us, we like the fact on our van the fridge/cupboard plus washroom/door in effect gives us two separate 'rooms' in the van, plus it is easy to fit a hob/grill unit or oven to our van and still have plenty of storage in the galley. Also I think (would need to check again) the dinette is slightly smaller and we do like the size of our dinette. Also we like the high level fridge on our van.

If 6m is important to you and/or you are happy with layout, it's fine, but we think the extra 360mm (14") of our van is much better.

colin - 2017-09-11 12:11 PM

The 600L is basically a cut down version of our 636SB Campscout, I have cast a critical eye over this model as I was interested as to how it might work for us.

Our conclusion was the Galley area was too compromised for us, we like the fact on our van the fridge/cupboard plus washroom/door in effect gives us two separate 'rooms' in the van, plus it is easy to fit a hob/grill unit or oven to our van and still have plenty of storage in the galley. Also I think (would need to check again) the dinette is slightly smaller and we do like the size of our dinette. Also we like the high level fridge on our van.

If 6m is important to you and/or you are happy with layout, it's fine, but we think the extra 360mm (14") of our van is much better.

While I agree that a 6.36m van offers far more space I believe that once you get over 6m the advantages of a panel van disappear in which case a conventional motorhome is better. I say this as a committed panel van man myself who would be reluctant to own anything else due to water ingress issues experienced in the past.

I have a 2017 Euro 6 150hp 600L revolution - we imported it from Germany in January.

we have done 6500 miles in it so far this year and am very happy with it.

the 6m van suits us well - but we could possibly have gone for the Camp scout revolution at 6.4m - - but we are very happy with the 5.99m variant - the fridge is small - but adequate and there is less space in the galley - but everything is a compromise

recommended

We were excited when the 600L was launched - 2015, I think - because we wanted fixed twin beds in a sub-6 metre van. When we finally got to view one we liked it, but because I am tall, in the end decided it was just too much of a compromise. I think the two deal-breakers for us were the height when standing at the kitchen sink (I recall the floor is raised at the point because it is also the shower tray). The other thing was the bathroom - looked tricky to use the loo standing up and difficult to get proper access to the wash basin.

That was more than 18 months ago, and my memory on the detail may be hazy. Also the design may have been adjusted since then.

A couple of other points -we wanted an automatic, so it would have to be a factory order for the following model year, and which they couldn't quote a price - but the indicative figure for the spec we wanted was getting very expensive. Also, we didn't care for the upholstery in the new model - preferred what we'd seen - but it had a manual gearbox.

We ended up with a Rapido V68, at 6.4 metres and fixed twin beds. Very happy with it.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that you lose the advantage of a panel van once over 6m. I have a 6.36m van and I don't see the additional length as being a problem whatsoever as it has no impact on driving or parking whist at the same time adding some very useful internal space to play with. We originally went for a 6m van but was seduced by the additional space in the 6.36 and took a chance it would still fit into the space alongside our drive, which it did. We are very glad that we did. I think layout is key and, unless there are particular size restrictions for you I think it is best to compromise as little as possible so you get the facilities you ideally want or need.

A coach built motor home will generally be a good bit wider than a PVC and I think this is much more of a potential problem compared to an extra 400mm of length.

Don636 - 2017-09-11 8:43 PM

I wouldn't necessarily agree that you lose the advantage of a panel van once over 6m. I have a 6.36m van and I don't see the additional length as being a problem whatsoever as it has no impact on driving or parking whist at the same time adding some very useful internal space to play with. We originally went for a 6m van but was seduced by the additional space in the 6.36 and took a chance it would still fit into the space alongside our drive, which it did. We are very glad that we did. I think layout is key and, unless there are particular size restrictions for you I think it is best to compromise as little as possible so you get the facilities you ideally want or need.

A coach built motor home will generally be a good bit wider than a PVC and I think this is much more of a potential problem compared to an extra 400mm of length.

I broadly agree with Don. Our last coachbuilt van was only 6m long, but the standard 25cm wider. That foot of extra width makes a heck of a difference in terms of driving on narrow lanes and streets. Whereas, an extra 36cm in length does not have any significant impact when driving.

And even when parking, I'd rather have a foot less width than the extra 14" in length of the 6.36m van. Obviously, a 6m van is even easier to park.

But the bigger option certainly provides a bit more comfort and living space internally.

Archived