Water tank

Alygo

The only smell I've ever experienced is from the waste tank. Easily cured by using tank freshener as described above.

You shouldn't get any smell from the fresh water tank unless the tank has been left fullish for a few months, especially in hot weather. Perhaps you're confusing smell with taste?

Best to empty the fresh water tank and flush the pipes after each trip to prevent the growth of micro-organisms.

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up our Orian Dorado about 6 weeks ago and found that the "habitation check" didn't check the waste water tank, which had been left half full by the previous owner.... on our first outing the smell was so bad it made Mrs W gag.... I work in waste water and can confirm that the effluent in the tank had gone septic... it also had enough solids in it to stop it draining from the tank when the tap was opened.

To remedy the problem, I had to take the tap off and back-flush the tank with a hosepipe... this released enough of the gunge to allow it to drain... thick black sludgy water, directly onto my drive... the smell was incredible !!!

After that I poured half a bottle of bleach down it, and then, after seeking some advice, 6 litres of cheap Coke. I flushed it again after that to remove the last of the black flaky residue, and so far it now doesn't smell at all......

Probably doesn't help you much, but I got that off my chest :-)

There used to be an on-line entry relating to motorhome waste-water tank cleaning that listed various products that might be employed. This entry now seems to have disappeared (I think it was on a personal website) but the potential effectiveness of each product related to how acidic or alkaline it was.

Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/why-is-phosphoric-acid-used-in-coca-cola-drinks-diet-coke-coke-zero

but the percentage must be minimal or it would burn out a drinker’s innards. Logically, if one filled a waste-water tank with Coke, the phosphoric acid should have some cleaning effect. But if the tank - and, equally important, the pipework that feeds to it - are badly contaminated, Coke will have as much chance of removing the contamination as Boris Johnson of winning the London Marathon.

For a badly contaminated tank, initially using bleach is the time-honoured method and, after that, milder cleaners should keep the tank smell-free. Smell-traps (example here)

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/waste-pipe-smell-trap-28mm/2814?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7p3p3ea61gIVzYKyCh3EwgsyEAQYBSABEgIEmPD_BwE

should prevent odours from the tank entering a motorhome’s interior, but retro-fitting such traps is not always practicable.

Past discussions here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Grey-waste-tank/46407/

I notice a lot of people after washing clothes tipping the water around bushes or directly down a drain when it would do more good going down the sink and thru the waste tank which I only empty when at least 1/2 full and after a long drive so its been sloshed around and takes out a lot of sediment from the tank. The drain tank always needs to be closed not left draining into a container as this allows any solids to settle and stay in the tank

There is little point in cleaning a grey tank because the next time you wash up the cooking utensils some food debris will go into the tank and start decomposing and smelling.

If smells are getting into the vehicle it beacause of a poor piping layout or lack of the P traps that stop smells wafting indoors at home.

If its the smell during draining try a clothes peg on the nose. Growing up 70 years ago in a farming area with its attendant smells has its advantages .

Archived