Habitation electrics stopped working

Kevin1946

This rather begs the question as to why or how has the alternator failed.

In perhaps 50 years of experience with alternator equiped vehicles, I have suffered several failures.

The most comon cause has been worn brushes. These were replaced with varying degees of difficulty on different vehicles, mainly due to access.

In the early days I did have an externally mounted Lucas regulator fail, and with the same retrofitted setup I was confused by a slipping drive belt. (That was diagnosed when I accidentally touched the pulley after stopping to investigate a drop in output.) I also had a stator inter-turn short circuit on the same setup, but that was perhaps partly due to the exuberance of youth driving on flooded roads in a diesel Land Rover.

Alan

The conclusion seems point towards checking the brushes, if the alternator is reasonably accessable, but on my 2.8JTD its behind the engine, and does not seem to be the easiest of jobs, even with the availability of a maintenance pit.

Probably high miles 98,000) I bought it at a good price 16,000£ the old gent sold it to a dealer & could not find the papers,he had it 10 years,It had no extras.i fitted new discs & pads,front wheel bearings,ball joints ,back shoes & drums l.e.d lights,2x100 solar (not connected yet) Tv& aerial,new radio,Rug buddy 120 watt( heating) & now a new alternator & timing kit.spent 2100 to date .This work should make it a reliable van when it's finished.we like the size & L shape seating.

Archived