Fitting Omni directional aerial

Barcobird

I am thinking of fitting an Omni aerial on the roof but the problem is where I want to mount it, it is not over the cupboard where I need to fit the booster.

I can trail a cable over the roof in a box section and put the cable through the roof in a cable gland. The problem arises with the mounting bracket, they show the cable as going down through the middle which obviously eliminates water Ingres. I would need to cut a small slit in the base and bring the cable out at 90 degrees, applying a good dollop of sealer, would this be a problem in any way with the cable ?

Can't see a problem with your proposed routing of the cable.

However, before you install, suggest you test for reception quality. These flying saucer type aerials can perform OK in areas where a strong signal is available. Think you'd struggle where the signal is poor.

Billggski - 2017-09-18 5:20 PM

I tried omni but the signal was pathetic. I have fixed a mount on the back and have a directional aerial I just drop on and rotate. Pick up UK signal in Belgium!

I have a directional aerial now which is fixed to a pole, I drag it out of the garage and bolt it on to the scooter rack which is a pain in the ****. I dont want a handle coming through the roof to move it about, how have you fixed a bracket and how do you reach to turn it round. Is your cable fixed or do you thread it through a window etc.

Billggski - 2017-09-18 5:20 PM

I tried omni but the signal was pathetic. I have fixed a mount on the back and have a directional aerial I just drop on and rotate. Pick up UK signal in Belgium!

What type of directional aerial are you using, I may end one of these as the non directional ('Omni' directional ??!!) supplied by Autotrail is rubbish, unless you get an excellent signal, which is not very often!

Robbo - 2017-09-18 5:36 PM

Can't see a problem with your proposed routing of the cable.

However, before you install, suggest you test for reception quality. These flying saucer type aerials can perform OK in areas where a strong signal is available. Think you'd struggle where the signal is poor.

So good news and then bad!

I have heard they are a bit hit and missand others have said they get a brilliant signal.

The plus side is they are a neat fitting which alleviates the problems as mentioned in the post above.

Unless of course you or someone has a solution *-)

I have posted this before. The best directional aerial on the market according to the "experts" on MMM and Practical magazine is the Teleco Teleplus2. Better than the Status directional unit which they used in their comparison tests and I have to say I agree with them. I have fitted 3 over the years and they are very good all be it a bit pricey but you get what blah blah. I use mine in Spain and can pick up all the stations in the region, some with dual language. i.e. English. I fitted the one I have now because Astra 2 went walkabout a few years ago so this unit gave me a bit more choice. It impressed a friend in the Oxford area who said the aerial on the roof of his house was no where near as good as the Teleco.

keninpalamos - 2017-09-19 3:38 AM

I have posted this before. The best directional aerial on the market according to the "experts" on MMM and Practical magazine is the Teleco Teleplus2. Better than the Status directional unit which they used in their comparison tests and I have to say I agree with them. I have fitted 3 over the years and they are very good all be it a bit pricey but you get what blah blah. .

Out of interest, how is the coax cable routed into the MH with these?

It clearly is visible leaving the antenna not secreted away down the pole in the dry as Status do, plus, does this leave the potential of the cable getting wrapped around the pole?

I have posted this before. The best directional aerial on the market according to the "experts" on MMM and Practical magazine is the Teleco Teleplus2. Better than the Status directional unit which they used in their comparison tests and I have to say I agree with them. I have fitted 3 over the years and they are very good all be it a bit pricey but you get what blah blah. I use mine in Spain and can pick up all the stations in the region, some with dual language. i.e. English. I fitted the one I have now because Astra 2 went walkabout a few years ago so this unit gave me a bit more choice. It impressed a friend in the Oxford area who said the aerial on the roof of his house was no where near as good as the Teleco.

What I am trying to avoid is having a pole/ handle coming through the roof, I just wanted a neat discreet fitting on the roof which gives me a better signal than the indoor Avtex we are using at the moment.

Ocsid - 2017-09-19 7:22 AM

I have posted this before. The best directional aerial on the market according to the "experts" on MMM and Practical magazine is the Teleco Teleplus2. Better than the Status directional unit which they used in their comparison tests and I have to say I agree with them. I have fitted 3 over the years and they are very good all be it a bit pricey but you get what blah blah. .

It clearly is visible leaving the antenna not secreted away down the pole in the dry as Status do, plus, does this leave the potential of the cable getting wrapped around the pole?

although you can see the coax cable coming out from under the body of the aerial in them passes through the plastic mounting on top of the pole and goes down the pole coming out at the bottom of the pole inside the van. To save me climbing up on the roof of my van to take pictures I had a look at the Teleco web site and it does not show a coax cable at all! But believe me that's where it goes, so no question of it ending up rapped around the pole (lol)

keninpalamos - 2017-09-19 3:26 PM

Ocsid - 2017-09-19 7:22 AM

although you can see the coax cable coming out from under the body of the aerial in them passes through the plastic mounting on top of the pole and goes down the pole coming out at the bottom of the pole inside the van. To save me climbing up on the roof of my van to take pictures I had a look at the Teleco web site and it does not show a coax cable at all! But believe me that's where it goes, so no question of it ending up rapped around the pole (lol)

Thanks, it now makes sense to me.

We are just blanking ours off as the reception is so poor. We fitted the status last time but unfortunately have nowhere to fit the stick in our new motorhome, I would highly recommend the latter, we even watched tv near Perpignan although English tv on French channels.

Billggski - 2017-09-19 9:57 PM

Next to the ladder to the roof rack, nip up the ladder, pop it on, up to two metres with extra poles. Spin it around until I get a shout from inside.

Cable through the window at the moment. It's a vision plus.

I'm not that keen on watching telly Bill! And if I got a shout from inside it would only mean one thing, I've been broken into! :-)

Next to the ladder to the roof rack, nip up the ladder, pop it on, up to two metres with extra poles. Spin it around until I get a shout from inside.

Hi there,

I just wondered which model of Vision Plus aerial you have and does it fit on a "standard" aerial pole?

Regards,

Paul

Yep that's all rinky dinky do when the sun is shining, what happens when it's p******g down *-) no tv or you get soaked :'(

Pete

I’m guessing that your 2015 Elddis has an Avtex ‘twig’ TV aerial, not a Status one.

These links

https://www.greentrees-caravanstore.co.uk/community/2083/ref025-elddis-tv-aerial-stick-type-loss-of-signal/

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/107017-new-elddis-374-with-rubbish-avtex-twig-aerial/

may be of interest.

Archived