Ways across the Pyrenees?

StuartO

We're touring on the Iberian Penisula and intend to drive home through France in due course.  Any tips about crossing the Pyrenees?

I'm open minded about West or East coast, slightly favouring the East) but I also like alpine passes and have a hankering to visit Andorra - or is it just a duty-free anticlimax?

I'd be gratefull for your experiences and recommendations.

We popped into Andorra from the south (from La Seu d'Urgell) and although it's not an experience I'd repeat it is one of those things that you should experience! A crazy place and, yes, somewhat of a duty-free hell, but it has to be done.

Then, if you drop back South out of Andorra, my favourite Pyrenean crossing is just to the West. Out NW on the winding N260 to Sort and then North through Rialp on the C-13. Some spectacular scenery, big ups and downs and absolutely beautiful river valleys.

On over the top of the Port du Bonaigua at almost 2100m then down, down, down into Vielha and onwards into France..

StuartO - 2017-09-19 4:39 PM

I should have mentioned,it will be well into October by the time we are heading over the Pyrenees.  When do the moutain passes close down?

The Val d'Aran, north of that pass (Port de Bonaigua) is where I was told the Spanish royal family ski. The roads are very well kept as you'd imagine, and I'd be surprised if they weren't kept open. From memory the ski resort is called Baquiera-Béret. Maybe they have a website? They have their own dialect, Aranese. Lovely smell of woodsmoke always in Viellha.

Over the years we have done most of the routes across the Pyrenees mostly without bother. Andorra can be a pain as noted especially at the French end. Also price wise we found it a bit of an anticlimax.

In October who knows with the variability of the weather but we have not had problems crossing well into November. There are various sites that give up to the minute information such as http://www.sport-passion.fr/parcours/etat-cols-pyrenees.php

Archived