Discrimination by ferry company

foxy

Good morning all, just tried to book a ferry to Ireland with Irish Ferries using Tesco vouchers. Everything going fine until what type of vehicle sir. Sorry we dont take Tesco vouchers for motorhomes only for cars and Motor cycles. Made booking with Stenaline Ferries no problem at all, in fact they were very courteous and helpful. Got back to Irish Ferries to ask why they discriminate against motorhomes, thats the policy was the curt reply. when I suggested that there policy may need looking at as there are quite a few motorhome owners out there the person just said "well thre you go".Needless to say they will not get my business in the future.

Foxy

Hi Foxy - don't personally know anything about Tesco vouchers for use on ferries, but I would suggest this is something which should be taken up with Tesco Managing Director, as it reflects badly on them. On the basis that they would take the vouchers for cars, then unless the 'small print' syas they won't take them for Motorhomes, I am sure Tesco would be glad of this information.

HI Keith,Tesco vouchers are a means of getting great deals. If you have a tesco shoppers card or Visa then every purchase gets you points which every Qtr are converted into vouchers which have a face value. These can be used in exchange for goods at any tesco store. Now here is the money saver. Certain companies (most ferry companies) have a deal with tesco wheras the vouchers you have will be worth 4 times the face value. So for example Dover - Calais £100 then you only need £25 voucher. What a saving eh.

Foxy

Guest starspirit
For what it is worth I've just been looking at ferry prices to ireland and from what I've seen Irish Ferries from Pembroke Dock seems to be the least expensive (not to be confused with cheapest!) this year, although I will try CCC Carefree before booking for May as they do sometimes come up with better deals than an individual can find online.

Hi Mark

Thats really good - must be an excellent saving! Living in Cornwall it really doesn't make sense to depart UK from anywhere but Plymouth, and although it's quite pricey, it's agood service, and we're home within an hour and a half of getting off the boat. I prefer to drive in France than UK, but regrattably can't see Brittany ferries taking Tesco vouchers - especially as we already get a 33% dicsount for our Brittany Ferries.

Hi Mark

sorry for delay just been away.

I have the Tesco clubcard deals in front of me and the list of ferry companies taking teco club vouchers are:-

P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao

P&O Hull to Zeebrugge/ Rotterdam

P&O Irish ferries Troon to Larne. Cairnryan to Larne.Liverpool to Dublin

Irish Ferries Holyhead to Dublin. Pembroke to Rosslare BUT THEY WILL NOT TAKE VOUCHERS FOR MOTORHOMES hence initial thread.

Wightlink all routes to Isle of Wight

Stennaline all routes to Ireland (which I have booked with)

Hope this helps

Foxy

Went to Ireland last summer with our motorhome. Beautiful country, less trhan beautiful weather, and only a few very good camp sites.

Indeed there is a dearth of camp sites except in the far south-west. And even there, they are disappearing fast as touring sites are converted to take mobile homes - guaranteed year-round revenue with none of the hassle of booking in arrivals each night, etc.

As a result, many of the sites we stayed at got grossly over-used and the Irish do not seem to have (or adhere to) any rules about spacing. So at one site 7 motorhomes/ caravans were spaced only 2 or 3 feet apart. One small fire and all 7 would have gone!

If we go again, it will definitely be off-season.

Archived