Vets in France

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

Last year it cost us 50 Euros for a vet in Calais to give our border collie one pill and one spray of insecticide before we could come home.

Accepting that the lady was friendly, charming, spoke good English and knew exactly what to do, it still seems a lot to me?

Or am I just a tight fisted grumpy old man?

Depends. Did you get the rest of the Frontline pack for that money? If not then yes, you were charged a bit much.

The vets have to do 2 things (apart from the paperwork)

1 Is to give a worming tablet. Unfortunately you can't buy the ones they use online so you must pay up. You could buy from a UK vet I suppose but I doubt it would be any cheaper.

2 is to administer Frontline Flea treatment. This is available online in the UK at much reduced prices. Do a Google for Frontline. If you take your own with you then the French vet will use it.

Last year I had my dog done in Mayenne and paid around 50 Euros but that included 3 phials of Frontline of which I kept the other 2. That made it work out a bit cheaper. Next time I'll take my own.

If you want to look for a REAL ripoff how about the £30 charged by the ferry companies for looking at the passport and scanning the chip? On some crossings I've paid more for the dog than for 2 people and 7 metre MH :-S

:-D Hi,

Look forewards to meeting up in Shepton, when we go to France we stay at the La Chaumiere campsite just outside St. Omer. the nice lady works for a vet in St Omer and makes the appointments etc, last time they charged us 40 euros per dog.

Regards Henry

michele - 2007-01-08 5:46 PM

Startspirit,

Where I live it cost £27 to consult with the Vet before you even start ?

So yes I do find it expensive on one hand but,if you lived here no .

;-)

French vets are, on the whole, quite reasonable. I guess it's a bit galling to pay the guy to do 2 things you can do yourself. The only thing I'm not qualified to do is sign the passport :-S

But to keep a sense of perspective it's a damn sight cheaper than quarantine...

Guest starspirit

Thanks people - and yes she really was a very nice lady with a wonderful French way of speaking English which is hardly surprising if I come to think about it.

I may even go back again this year!

starspirit - 2007-01-08 8:10 PM

she really was a very nice lady with a wonderful French way of speaking English which is hardly surprising if I come to think about it.

Funny, I've often noticed that about French people :-D

You do pay quite a lot in the more usual places like Calais etc, we have been to Brugge twice now and the first time we were charged 35 euros for 3 dogs, yes 3 dogs ... in total! The second time we used them it was just over 20 euros for 2 dogs. As Brugge is a nice place to spend a bit of time and the end of the holiday before coming home we won't mind popping in again and we've found a stonking 'aire' to stay overnight on the way back to the port so that's not a problem either. (lol)

Archived