Motorhome Search

Palmerlee

Joined the forum today and hoping for some advice from seasoned 'motorhomers'!

We've been looking to buy a MH for about 12 months but have only recently taken the search seriously and will probably take the plunge in time for next Spring.

We hired one for the week recently to confirm its definitely for us. We also went to the NEC show last October where we viewed dozens of models / layouts etc and are due to go again in a few weeks.

Key requirements are an ISLAND BED (a must), < 7.5m, 4-berth, 'bench type' seating and a budget of £50-55k.

So far, this has led us to the Elddis Majestic 254 or the Autotrail Imala 730 (or soon to be released 732).

Would be really grateful if anyone has any direct experience of these models or whether there are others we should be considering based on the above criteria.

Many thanks.

The Elddis Majestic is a "dealer special" by Marquis.

This is available as the Elddis base model www.elddis.co.uk/elddis/encore/encore-254

& also available as "specials" from other dealers.

The Elddis models are on the Peugeot chassis base vehicle - Peugeot Boxer 2.0 160bhp Blue HDi Turbo Diesel engine (AdBlue fluid & no Auto box availabl e)

Also Swift Escape 694 www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/swift-escape

Which is also available as "dealer special" from various dealers.

The Autotrail, Adria & Swift, are all on the Fiat chassis (no AdBlu & Auto box is an option) Engine options are 2.3L @130, 150bhp

We looked at the Elddis 254 when we were first getting into motorhoming and I have to say that I thought the build quality was fairly shoddy, hence the reason why we didn't go any further with the purchase.

Also, you mentioned the two Autotrails but they will both struggle to give you enough payload for two people never mind for four.

If you want an Autotrail then I would potentially opt for the Tracker RB in Hi-Line guise. You can probably achieve a deal on a MY17 model (if bought in the next couple of months, stock dependent) that fits your budget and it will give you a decent payload to boot.

Cheers,

Andrew

My only disagreement with your opening post is the need for 'bench seating'. Our first 2 vans were like that and we much prefer what we had in later vans, ie swivel cab seats. We find them much more comfortable and better utilisation of the available space.

Best of luck anyway with your search. If not buying new, take a damp meter with you when checking out used vans.

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

Excuse my ignorance but can I quiz you on the potential payload issue please.

Am I right in thinking this is the weight of people and belongings taken on board the MH?

A Google search tells me the Imala 730 has a payload of 330kg and the Majestic 254 421kg. If four people travelling, I can understand the Imala issue certainly, what range would you suggest ideal for a 4-berth MH?

Palmerlee - 2017-09-29 8:39 AM

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

Excuse my ignorance but can I quiz you on the potential payload issue please.

Am I right in thinking this is the weight of people and belongings taken on board the MH?

A Google search tells me the Imala 730 has a payload of 330kg and the Majestic 254 421kg. If four people travelling, I can understand the Imala issue certainly, what range would you suggest ideal for a 4-berth MH?

Hi Lee,

If you place 'Autotrail Weight Calculator' into your search engine then you can have a play with the different models, specs, additional equipment and MTPLM choices. The Imala 730 comes with a choice of MTPLMs of either 3.5Tonnes or 3.65 so make sure you select the right one from the drop down menu.

Assuming you have a C1 License then you can drive the Imala 730 Hi-Line (with only TWO travel seats) with a registered MTPLM of 3.65T so let's use that for our example.

The AT Weight Caluclator stipulates the following:

1. Max authorised weight: 3,650kg

2. Number of seats: 1-passenger ( the drivers seat and his/her mass of '75kg only' is included in the stated MTPLM).

3. Passenger weight allowance: 75kg

4. Personal kit allowance for both passengers: 93kg

= Available payload of 312kg.

Right then I'll do some figures for 4-people (assuming the driver weighs 75kg or else any extra 'chunk' will come off the available payload):

1. 3,650kg

2. 3-passenger seats.

3. Passenger weight allowance: 225kg (reduce this if it's for children but don't forget that kids grow up).

4. TBC?

5. Add between 100kg and 150kg to the original manufacturers MIRO figure as I swear that all AT vans are heavier in real life than what they quote in the books.

6. Don't forget that these figures do not include any useable water so add 1kg for every extra litre of water you wish to carry (upto a max of 135l as per the tank capacity).

7. I'm sure that you'll get a TV (media pack-1) and a solar panel included in your deal (most AT deals include this), which collectively weighs 16kg.

......so your available payload with 4-people, no water and NO extras (I excluded serial-4) is:

312kg minus the above numbers = (minus) 4kg.

I've assumed that an Imala 730 will weight about 150kg more than the manufacturers quoted figures since my Imala 620 did just that and it was a much smaller van.

You've now got (-)4kg to play with and yet you still haven't fitted a bike rack (or the bikes to go on it); you've got no food, water, clothes, bed linen, books or tooth brush and there's no awning either.

If you add the awning and a bike rack then that will remove circa 45-50kg (combined) so your new available payload is now between -49kg and -54kg.

Not good eh.

It's only when you start crunching the small details that you find a van to be workable or not.

Hope this helps (and I hope that I've added up correctly too),

All the best,

Andrew

There have been some scary stories about Marquis as a dealer doing the rounds.

I would do some research on the dealer too.

I would also recommend trying to keep the weight < 3.5T.

There are small annoyances that crop up with our 3.8T MH.

Some urban areas restricted to <3.5T toll motorways in places like Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic etc. you need a special box.

Hope it all works out for you.

The best thing to do with any Auto-trail is go to their website and, as Bop says, use the weight calculator to calculate payload. Don't forget to factor in any extras you add and that the van might weigh more than the manufacturer says. Manufacturers might say that they work to a tolerance of +/- 5% but I've never heard of anyone whose van weighs less than the manufacturer suggests!

With the ever growing list of goodies added to Motorhomes and their physical size, payload has become more of an issue and needs to be checked before buying something that won't carry all your toys.

Good luck with your hunt.

Hi Palmerlee

Have you realised that going for inward facing rear bench seats will restrict you to driver & passenger only for travelling.

Bench seats are no longer legal for seating passengers for travelling.

Model dependant Autotrail do offer the option of one bench changed to a twin forward facing travel seat. It will decrease payload available due to the additional weight of the seatbelt structure.

See the Autotrail website for into & cost.

Just had a look at weight calculator on the Autotrail website for the Impala 730.

My flabber was gasted.

The foward facing rear seat option is not available in this model.

On the 3500kg chassis payload is only 162kg after allowance of 75kg allowance each for driver & passenger BUT without ANY water.

Even changing to the 3650kg chassis (if licence allows) would only give 312kg payload before any water or accessories added.

flicka - 2017-09-29 5:28 PM

Just had a look at weight calculator on the Autotrail website for the Impala 730.

My flabber was gasted.

The foward facing rear seat option is not available in this model.

On the 3500kg chassis payload is only 162kg after allowance of 75kg allowance each for driver & passenger BUT without ANY water.

Even changing to the 3650kg chassis (if licence allows) would only give 312kg payload before any water or accessories added.

John, you must be on the wine again mate (I'm on the port FYI) as we sorted this payload-thing out this AM.

In basic terms we've already established that the Imala 730 is as much good as a chocolate fireguard.

Right, chaps, I'm back to my bottle of port and biscuits.

>:-(

Regards,

Andrew

flicka - 2017-09-29 5:09 PM

Hi Palmerlee

Have you realised that going for inward facing rear bench seats will restrict you to driver & passenger only for travelling.

Bench seats are no longer legal for seating passengers for travelling.

Model dependant Autotrail do offer the option of one bench changed to a twin forward facing travel seat. It will decrease payload available due to the additional weight of the seatbelt structure.

See the Autotrail website for into & cost.

Will just be the two of us (plus dog) most of the time - kids are of an age where if they join us, likely to be for part of the time and so they will have to bring a car which will be helpful! Much prefer the inward facing bench seats for stretching out rather than more of a cramped feel having to sit around a fixed table.

Thanks everyone for the advice / comments, very helpful.

sandalwood - 2017-10-06 3:49 PM

ALWAYS RAPIDO! Fantastic layout, lovely wood, great build. We have had the 776 FF, for few years!

Ian

Thanks Ian

We thought we were set on an island bed but having seen this, it looks very nice.

One question, are they all left-hand drive?

Hi,Just changed from a Swift Bolero 730 fb to a Elddis Encore 254 last month,Yes there is a slight difference in quality but there is a difference in price! Having an island bed is bliss for the early morning for the call of nature scenario!!,Secondly there are two fully belted fold up seats under the bench settees for occasional use, hope this is of some help.

Palmerlee - 2017-10-06 4:37 PM

ALWAYS RAPIDO! Fantastic layout, lovely wood, great build. We have had the 776 FF, for few years!

Ian

Thanks Ian

We thought we were set on an island bed but having seen this, it looks very nice.

There are advantages to an island bed so, if you had been previously set on one, don't discount too soon. Rapidos are available in RHD.

Palmerlee - 2017-10-06 4:37 PM

Ian

Thanks Ian

If you are looking to buy new, I’m doubtful that any standard 2018 model-year Rapido would fully meet the criteria you’ve specified in your original posting.

The 696F model

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_low-profile_serie-6f_696f.chtml

is 7.49m long, has an island bed and inwards-facing seating, but realistically you’d need the optional ceiling-mounted drop-down bed to sleep 4 adults and you’d probably need to stretch your budget to the limit (and watch the payload on the 3500kg version).

http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/products/motorhomes/HCCQF48250/2018-rapido-serie-6-696f-premium-edition

Regarding your left-hand drive question, very few motorhomes (and then only really large ones with a huge price tag) that are built in Continental Europe and marketed in the UK will be available only in left-hand drive format. It is possible to order an LHD Rapido from a UK dealer (I did it) but it’s an unusual thing to do and financially daft!

(I admire sandalwood’s enthusiasm... ;-) )

Archived