Campervanning around Europe!

andy1

Hi All,

My girlfriend and me are completely new to the Campervan world and are taking a 3 month tour around Europe starting March 1st this year. (We have bought a van already.) I know it's a bit of a wide question....but does anyone have any advice for us beginners? i.e. what not to do where not to go etc??!! Good camp sites or free parking sites etc?

Thanks a lot,

Andy

Hi Andy

Wellcome to the site

You should get a fair responce to your post, there is a wealth of knowledge from the contributors on here, but it may have been better under the Motorhome section.

Meanwhile go to the search and enter "Don Madge" in the author field & select within the last month.

Don has recently posted a tremendous amount of info regarding European touring (+ other destinations)

You could also search for "Aires" (France) & "Stelplatz" (Germany) in the subject field for low cost overnight stops.

Best of luck with your trip.

Flicka

Hi Andy, Wellcome to the world of motorhoming, if you get the chance there is a motorhome and caravan show at the N.E.C. Birmingham, 17th to 25th Feb 07 where you would get loads of information, can camp overnight also meet other motorhomers who are always ready to pass tips and information on to you, (try the web site for the show).

Happy travelling Carol. *-)

Guest starspirit

In view of the short time and steep learning curve might I suggest you use the van for at least a weekend and preferably more to learn what it does and how it does it.

Even more important learn whether the bed is comfortable and whether the kitchen toilet and lounge areas work for you.

Yet more important is discovering what does NOT work well for you whilst there is still time to do something about it.

Try to camp at least one show for the weekend and you will probably learn more from some of the other motorhomes in two days there than a year of reading books and websites.

All those who live in their vans this time of year are hardened nut cases and will readily share information and experiences with you.

By the way you will need Propane (red bottles) not Butane (blue bottles) this time of year.

And a couple of 4 pint milk containers filled with fresh water will overcome a frozen pump or empty tank long enough for a cup of tea and a quick wash and shave before sorting it out.

Even a vacuum flask of hot water will keep overnight - just in case!

Hope this helps a bit and I wish you luck - wish I were going too!

Hi Andy,

An important point that you may not be aware of; Calor gas is not available in Europe.

You will need to use Camping Gaz, have a system like Gaslow fitted (costs around £300 I believe) or purchase the cylinders for the particular country you are visiting. A search on this forum using 'Gaslow' and 'gas' will give you more details.

Also if you search 'aire', 'stellplatze' 'Camper-stop Europe', ACSI, Camping Cheques and Municipal you will find dozens of references for discounted, cheap and free camping.

Have a great trip. :-D

Cattwg

• 2 weeks later...

Just book the ferry and follow your nose into France at least. Keep off the autoroutes - whats the rush?

Having a refillable gas cylinder is a good idea, my choice was a proper steel bulk tank bolted to the chassis beneath the vehicle. Secure, proper inside fuel gauge and I get a free locker. Bits from

MTH Autogas.

Camping municipal sites are nearly always more than good enough and if you try and speak their language they will oove you for it.

Go south and stop when you get to the sun.

C.

Hi Andy

You won't find many municipal campsites open in March so aires will be best - get the aires book as soon as you reach France from a bookshop or large supermarket - but the 2007 one possibly won't be out until mid March

Also you didn't state what type of campervan you have - will it be winterised? Camping Gaz in small 907 cylinders is now very expensive about 18EUR in France and Italy for an exchange and one cylinder won't last long if you need heating!!

As well as Don Madge' useful postings we have put a lot of advice and trip reports on our website (www.motorhomeandaway.co.uk) based on our own experiences!

enjoy the trip and the planning

Steve

Archived