Rain X Plastic water repellant on motorhome?

michaelmorris

We have an Elddis Autoquest 200 which has a lovely large picture window at the back. This is lovely for looking out of with mug of tea lying in bed first thing in the morning. It also means I can actually see out of the back with the rear view mirror in the cab. However, it frequently get filthy, making very difficult to see out of this window when driving.

It struck me that getting a water repellent film to coat this window would probably make this far less of a problem. Rain X make a water repellent specially designed for use on plastics

http://www.rainx.co.uk/rain-x-products/rain-x-plastic-water-repellent/

Has anyone tried this on the windows of their motorhome? Does it work? Any problems?

Thanks

have used a hard wax on our windows and it works ok,

i would avoid car polish as it has light abrasive in it ,rain x is good stuff

i use it on my bike helmet visor,you have just given me an idea i will try it on inside of

mh windscreen to keep condensation down :-)

I doubt anything will stop the mucky water thrown up by the wheels and sucked in by the flat design of the back of the van from hitting the window, except maybe more effective or a full width mud flap,?

Whether anything will stop the water born muck from remaining on the window after the water drains off only trying it to see will tell, unless anyone has?

ernst - 2017-10-11 12:17 PM

i use it on my bike helmet visor,you have just given me an idea i will try it on inside of

mh windscreen to keep condensation down :-)

I doubt Rain-X would reduce the amount of condensation that forms as this is a matter of temperature difference. This is best addressed by covering the outside of the screen with something a reflective, insulated screen such a aSilver Screen

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Using Rain-X might mean that condensation runs off the screen more easily. Do you want it to run off the screen?

I see in the link that it is made for plastic and not to be used on glass. I can't see it working on the mucky water thrown up on the rear of the van but I could be wrong. It will probably mean that any water will bead and run away leaving streaks in the mucky stuff. If it's like other Rain X products it might not last too long either.

Archived