Travelling weather

Don Madge

We hope to leave for Portugal at the weekend and I thought the first timers abroad would be interested in the system we have for checking the en route weather.

At http://www.weather.com we check the 10 day forecast for the main cities/towns we pass through. This will give you a rough idea what weather to expect on the way.

I've checked the route weather this morning and so far it looks like we are in for rain showers which usually means it won't be too cold. It's either wet and warm or sunny and cold.

This morning on the Algarve the temp is in the low 60's F it can't be bad

Safe travelling

Don

PS Don't forget Portugal is on GMT and not CET.

Great tip Don.

We are off too YIPPEEE. catching the ferry from Dover on Sat evening and heading for Portugal (we have a brolly) - look forward to seeing you on the road.

So that's two of us deserting the Yorkshire weather. Odd 'cos its always sunny here! >:-)

Bye the Bye just booked via the caravan club for the return journey (at decent sailing times) for 8metre 'van for £67 didn,t think that was at all bad :-D

Hi all,

I'm very new to the forum so apologies if this has already been covered but I hope it's useful. The website Don mentioned is excellent but on the basis you can't have too much of a good thing, you may like to know that the met office's web site www.metoffice.gov.uk has been revamped to make it more user-friendly and very comprehensive.

As well as national and regional weather, you can home in on a town or even a postcode e.g. for a CL site and get very local weather (or at least it's nearest weather station). Forecasts are given for days 1-2, 3-5, 6-15 and seasonal. By switching between days and between weather, wind or temperature graphics you can build up a good mental picture of what is likely to happen when.

If you feel adventurous, look at the pressure charts, run the animations and for fun you can have a go at your own predictions.

Stuck on a site with the rain drumming on the roof and wondering when to go out for the walk? Look at the rainfall radar images, roll them back a few hours and advance the graphic 30 minutes at a time and with a bit of practice you should be able to predict fairly accurately when the heavy rain will clear where you are and how long before the next belt arrives - so go walking in the dry (or drier) bit in between. On rainy days I use it to time slots when I can get out in the garden and do a bit before rain stops play.

Bob

w1ntersun - 2007-01-10 7:48 AM

Hi,

Don hope to see you at Conil de la frontera, we are there now

weather is blue skies at 20c during the day 6/8c at night no wind

Safe trip

Richard

Richard,

Should be there some time next week if all goes well. :-D

Bernie,

We are booked on the 1930 hrs Sea France sailing on Saturday. If I don't see you before we'll meet up on the Algarve some place. :-D Ferry cost us £54.20 for a six metre van. :-D

To everybody else thanks for your good wishes, see you mid March.

Regards

Don

See ya Don!  Portugal is lovely no matter the season. 

Just a thought on the weather site... I too have used this one, especially for recent trips to the Baltics and Tuscany.  I learned the hard way that it is subject to at least the same variation as all other weather reports!  It reminds me of the old adage about culturing bacteria which converts all too well to meteorology (don't ask!)...

"No matter how comprehensive the data or how predictable the patterns, the weather will do as it damn well chooses!!"

Drive carefully!

Archived