Which Tablet?

Tracker

For a few years now I have been using an ipad for away from home internet access via wifi when available of a dongle with phone sim but I have always found that all the internet browsers and email access to be far more complicated, difficult to make them do what you want it to and much less user friendly than my desktop computer at home which is easy to use and set to the way that I like so I do not expect to buy anything else Apple.

I accept that being an old fashioned and dim witted user does not help but I have no problems with my PC at home where proper full versions of Firefox, Chrome and Gmail etc all work as the maker intended.

Do the current batch of windows, I am no great lover of Microsoft but at least it all works, or android based tablets work more like the PC or shall I continue to vent steam everytime I try to use the ipad, not to mention the updates and downloads that Apple are intent on foisting on me.

There must be an easier way, how hard can it be for heaven's sake?

Afaik all tablets will be different to a desktop or laptop, my phone runs windows 10 mobile, whilst it is very similar to windows 10 there are a couple of things which will catch you out, just a few minutes ago I was struggling to recall how to copy and paste with it.

Hi Tracker,

I don't know if this will help but I use my Samsung Tab 3 tablet without any problems. We recently returned from a five week trip around France , Holland and Belgium and used the tablet for internet access and e mails etc. via a wifi hot spot from my mobile phone. It's much better and easier now with the new EU rules, the calls,texts and data all just come off your normal monthly package, if you are on contract. I have 5gb of data per month and this was enough for wifi use on my tablet and my wife's tablet, also made calls and texts back to tbe UK and within country. I suspect it will work a little different if gou are on PAYG with your phone provider.

I find tbe Samsung tablet very easy to work with and have ot experienced any problems.

Have you considered a laptop, Rich? Bit bulkier (though newer ones very slim), but has proper keypad, and it is possible to load, and run, all the usual programs. Surprisingly large solid state drives now available (no mechanical HDD) and, if you are prepared to get an external CD/DVD drive in lieu of built-in, the laptop becomes even slimmer and has no moving parts. If you're not familiar with Win 10 that will seem a bit different, but otherwise should run just like your desktop. Can be had for under £200, but price depends on what you want. Trip to PC World? :-D

Whatever you get, if it runs Windows 10 give the software a good trial before you buy. I have W10 on my laptop, I wish I could go back to W8 or something but Microsoft won't let that happen.

I have another laptop with XP on it, works fine for me.

H

I love my Lenovo tablet with Windows 8 - I think I got the last one though as everything else was Win10, which I couldn't get on with (downplated the home laptop back to 8 after tearing my hair out).

Don't know what I'll do when it turns up its toes, likewise my beloved Windows 8 phone!

I love the intercompatibility and synchronisation across computer, tablet and phone.

Thanks Guys, we use Win10 on home PC and laptop and having made it far easier to use (in my view!) by installing Classic shell to replace many of MS's 'improvements' I find that helps make it much easier to use. On balance I am happy with W10 and would not go back to W8.

We don't want another laptop as for a start I hate the touch pad which always over react when my finger gets too close - now where have I heard that before - plus it is too big and bulky.

I could learn to like the MS Surface, but not at the current price for an item that sees irregular use, but still no mouse although I should be able to add a cordless mouse if it has usb sockets.

At the moment a Samsung Galaxy looks favourite, but that might change!

Thanks, I hadn't thought about Chromebooks, but looking at the reviews I can see the attraction of a safer less liable to invasive malware device, although I am less enamoured with the need to login to a Google account to use it as I have this paranoia about giving any information I don't have to to the likes of Google, Microsoft, Apple, et al.

I also like the look of the hybrid Win10 tablet / laptops but, thinking about it a bit, Microsoft's vulnerability to invasion makes me hesitant to have the same os as my PC?

It does not need to be too complex as it will probably only ever be used for internet browsing, emails, photo storage, social media (wife not me!) and a few basic games like solitaire etc., but with dubious eyesight and fat fingers good screen resolution and an easy to use keyboard or on screen keyboard are a must.

For those who prefer a screen to a paper book, the ability to store Aires and ACSI and other sites details for off line access would be handy too?

Judging by the number of readers there seems to be a bit of interest in all this info so many thanks to all who have contributed so far and all contributions of your experiences in this minefield of devices and operating systems are invited and welcome, as like so many amongst us, I do struggle to get my brain around a lot of this techy stuff.

I've got both Windows and Android tablets.

The Window tablet is a convertible HP with a 10 inch screen. I find it a lot easier to use with the keyboard attached (it's held in place with magnets which works really well). Maybe its me but it seems to require much more accuracy when using it solely as a touchscreen device. The other issue I have is that it 'only' has 32 GB of Ram and every time there is an update to the operating system I end up with massive temporary files (a copy of the previous system is retained for a certain amount of time) and it's touch and go whether or not the updates actually install. Microsoft seems to be very relaxed about introducing updates that make older equipment obsolete. Just to wind me up further, the HP software frequently pops up when least wanted asking me to check the system and frequently fails to do what it sets out to do.

I also hate everything revolving around the cloud (I admit it's a personal bugbear) and find that Microsoft Office seems to work better on an Android device than a Microsoft tablet. It may just be that I haven't got it set up properly. I've tried alternatives, but LibreOffice doesn't fully support a touch screen and I'm not so keen on WPS.

I think Android apps have the edge over Windows, and I think my Android tablet (which has less Ram) deals with updates much better than Windows. It also seems to need less accuracy when using it by touch.

I've recently switched phones from a Samsung to a Sony (both Android) and I find the Sony is much better at dealing with updates and backing up data to my PC. I guess proprietary adaptations to Android will impact on tablets as well.

So which would I choose? I like the way my windows tablet is much more like my PC but I think my Android tablet deals with updates much better and is a bit 'slicker'. I also prefer Gmail to Windows Mail but I groan every time Gmail gets revised because those very clever extra features that get added seem to detract from usability. If I was buying a new tablet for email, surfing the net and playing games I would probably go for Android, but if I wanted a tablet to run Office then I would stick with Windows but get at least 64 GB of Ram; a detachable keyboard; and avoid HP.

I do really like having the keyboard on my windows tablet. It stands up by itself and I find it much quicker to input text.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I have a bluetooth keyboard that came with the ipad and with a bit of luck it should work with any Bluetooth enabled device.

That said I've never used the keyboard because I find the ipad on screen virtual keyboard is more or less, with a few niggles, acceptable and it's one less complication unless I were writing a novel!

As of now a Samsung Tab S2 at about £370 seems favourite, not least because it's what SWMBO favours and it a foolish man who disregards his wife's ideas just to save a few quid!

Hi Rich,

I use a Galaxy tab S2 LTE version with it's own sim card so that i have the best of both worlds. It's brilliant and comes bundled with it's own MS Office suite so is compatible with all of the MS files too. Battery life is very good and seems pretty tough. Can't recommend it highly enough but if you can stretch to an S3, they have the S pen and it's very useful.

I also use a Lenovo convertible touchscreen tablet / laptop at work and it's the most infuriating device i have ever owned. Will not wake up when you open it without powering down and re-booting and sometimes the touchscreen just won't work. Been back to John Lewis with it 5 times but it never misbehaves when it's there! I don't care for Win 10. I use win 7 at home and it's great.

Various tablets for medical reasons.

For communication purposes, I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.2 which I have been advised by Samsung is now so old it is not repairable.I had to ask as there is a fault in the area of the power socket which prevents it being connected to main windows computer, but as stand alone unit , it has multiple apps loaded,

I have also been advised of a workaround way of being able to transfer any data, using esfile transfer software.

tablet use in van includes Copilot satnav , with added pois for aires, club sites, britstops etc, as well as games etc.

Samsung suggested it should be scrapped and replaced with a much newer device..but why as it still functions stand alone..they just want more sales !!!!.

Tonyg3nwl.

Hi Rich,

I have a Lenovo 10 inch tablet bought from argos for £99.00 running on Android which is very good battery lasts well dependant on use of course it is a bit on the heavy side though also bought a Acer inspire one netbook, 11inch screen solid state hdd so no noise at all from cooling fans, weighs very little five hour battery life opens up and shuts down in seconds.

Mine runs on Windows 8 but I believe that you can get them with Linux this cost £129.00 from Tesco.

Pete

I use a 6" android phone aka a phablet. Easy to use, with a big clear, high resolution screen. Google Cubot Max. They are really cheap, Chinese phones and at around £100 are a fantastic piece of kit. I have two of them (one for work, the other for keeping up with my social media) and have had no problems with them. I have travelled all over Europe with them and never failed to get a data connection. Great to use with the Site Seeker and Motorhome Parkings apps.

Personally, I would not use anything other than Apple because I know for certain it will work straight out of the box. So no surprise that this is being written on a MacBook with a solid star drive, starts up ready to use in 25 seconds from cold. Browsers work, email works and you can get the Apple versions of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint. I use the former two but prefer to use Apple's Keynote which beats the pants off Powerpoint for flexibility and configuration. I also use an iPad which is wifi only and have taken it all over Europe and America with no issues. But they are much more expensive, you say. I just say that I want my kit to work as and when I want it not mess about with Windows variegated settings which can be problematic - I know this from past experience of a PC.

If you look around there are lots of people who prefer Apple to others because of their reliability. My old MacBook still works as the maker intended from 2009 and has had only one repair when I accidentally dropped it - came back better condition than seconds before I dropped the thing! I was asked yesterday would I ever consider a Windows computer to which I replied I would not use one for a million pounds!

Archived