Dometic RM 7361 L fridge not working on gas

michaelconroy

Hi

I have an ongoing issue with the gas operation of this 3 way fridge.

The fridge works fine on 240v and 12v, although I have no independent thermometer so don't know if the temperature control works properly.

The pilot lights up on gas but, whatever setting I put the temperature control knob at, the gas flame stays the same & the fridge does not cool.

I've replaced the gas jet, cleaned out the flue and I've replaced the electronic component assembly (the temperature control was faulty).

Simply put it seems that the gas supply to the jet is neither increasing nor decreasing according to need.

I'm thinking that the problem has to be either a faulty temperature probe or a faulty gas valve?

Does anyone have any views please? And, if it might be the gas valve, it is serviceable by myself?

Thanks in anticipation.

michaelconroy - 2017-10-20 12:58 PM

Hi

I have an ongoing issue with the gas operation of this 3 way fridge.

The fridge works fine on 240v and 12v, although I have no independent thermometer so don't know if the temperature control works properly.

The pilot lights up on gas but, whatever setting I put the temperature control knob at, the gas flame stays the same & the fridge does not cool.

I've replaced the gas jet, cleaned out the flue and I've replaced the electronic component assembly (the temperature control was faulty).

Simply put it seems that the gas supply to the jet is neither increasing nor decreasing according to need.

Thanks in anticipation.

The thermostat does not increase or decrease the gas flow it just turns it off at the set temp. and on again when it drops below that temp. Are the lights next to the temp. control knob turning off and on as you rotate the knob if not the the spindle is sheared repair as per a video I post on your last post (bit of déjà vu here )

michaelconroy - 2017-10-20 11:58 AM

...The pilot lights up on gas but, whatever setting I put the temperature control knob at, the gas flame stays the same & the fridge does not cool...

Firstly, there is no gas ‘pilot light’ as such.

As BKen1 has advised, when a Dometic 7-series appliance is running on gas the fridge’s thermostat causes the gas-burner to turn on and off automatically. When the burner is alight it should always operate at full blast. There is no ’partial throttling’ based on the temperature-control’s setting - the gas-burner is either noticeably roaring at maximum output or not alight.

As I understand it, your fridge’s gas-burner’s flame remains low (as if it were a ‘pilot light’) and those symptoms are described here

http://murviclub.org.uk/w/fridge/

As you’ve replaced the gas jet (which would have been the prime suspect) it woud be logical to assume that there’s a problem with the gas valve that is restricting the supply of gas to the burner.

(Does the rest of the gas system work OK? Gumming up of electrically-operated gas valves on fridges and heaters was a recognised problem at one time and resulted from ‘oily contaminants’ in the gas bottles managing to find their way through the gas-regulator.)

Once we has 220 volt in our net work for years and now 230 whit pumps. You are already to 240 as you said. A dometic fridge standing against the wall whit their two top/ under griils has perfect ventilation compared to inhouse ventilation at home Some things are in reach via the grillas.Some are not . In that case you have to swift from the inside. Have a nice time.

747 - 2017-10-20 7:16 PM

Anyone remember Professor Stanley Unwin? 8-)

Feel free to delete this post Derek. :D

I’ve often wondered how aware Monique is of the limitations of GOOGLE’s translation software and how peculiar/incomprehensible the translated Dutch-to-English version that appears in her forum postings can sometimes be.

In this instance I believe she is commenting on Michael’s question “...And, if it might be the gas valve, it is serviceable by myself?” saying that some maintenance/repair work can be performed with the fridge remaining in place, whereas other tasks require the fridge to be displaced or removed.

I’m not sure if the gas solenoid valve can be ‘serviced’ and I’ve no idea if the installation of the Dometic fridge in Michael’s motorhome (I don’t think he has ever provided details of the vehicle’s make, model and year of manufacture) would allow sufficient access through the lower exterior ventilation grille for the valve to be replaced without moving the fridge beforehand.

These valves are not cheap (at least £100) and, as there’s no certainty that the valve is the culprit, it might be wiser for Michael to get the fridge attended to by a Dometic engineer rather than buy and DIY-fit a replacement valve and then find the fault is still present.

Thanks BKen1. I had to replace the electronic component assembly complete with new spindles after I lost a tiny spring behind the selector dial.

There are no indicator lights next to the thermostat control.

Thanks for the info on how the thermostat works. My gas flame is never more than very low (as though it were a pilot light).

I think the gas valve may be defective. I'll see if I can service it....

Archived