2.8Jtd coolant thermostat replacement

BruceM

Anyone changed the coolant thermostat on the 2.8Jtd?

It should be a straightforward job however access to the thermostat cover retaining bolts is constrained by the air feed from the turbocharger. Before pulling things off unnecessarily I’d like to check procedure with someone who’s been through the process before.

I've made a more detailed posting to the Fiat forum but it seems wise to spread the query to as large a constituency as possible.

Many thanks

Ducato2.8JTDThermostatAccess.jpg.1e0136228704190a984e8cee31a7234d.jpg

You don't say why you need to change it.

A common fault is the temperature gauge showing high when in fact there is nothing wrong with the thermostat. If you have a different problem then I apologise for muddying the waters.

All input is useful so nothing muddied.

The temp gauge was moving only to about the first quarter even after a long run (2hr?) so I’ve changed the temperature sender. The old temp sender subsequently tested as defective. The temp now climbs on the gauge to just over a third of the way up after a long run but not to the half way mark as it should. If left stationary and running the temperature gauge will eventually climb to normal (half way mark) and then progressively above normal. So I’m thinking that the thermostat is permanently open. A replacement thermostat is less than £10 so in normal circumstances changing it would be 30 mins well spent. However on this engine the thermostat cover access is not as straightforward as on any other vehicle I’ve worked on. Hence the reason I need tips and advice from anyone who's already gone through this. The manual simply states to unscrew the two bolts so no help there. Incidentally, I’m wondering if it’s been changed before, a close look at the photograph appears to show some black sealant at the edge of the mating surfaces of the assembly. There’s under 70K on the clock so it does seem bit soon to go through two thermostats.

Yes, it sounds like a missing Thermostat.

Maybe a knee jerk reaction by someone to the Temperature gauge problem common on many vans with that engine. I had it myself on the last van.

Just as an aside, I had that van (with 5 Tonne MAM) and in 5 years of ownership, I never heard the cooling fans operate. The needle never ever went past the normal halfway mark.

Thanks for the input. I managed to get my camera to the farthest bolt to check the clearance and I think that there might be enough – it even looks as though clearance may have been intentionally left – see the picture. The bolts though, I suspect, will be tight.

It’s interesting what you mentioned about the temperature gauges having a reputation for reading high. Something to look out for when the thermostat is changed.

ThermostatBoltAccess.jpg.79a11fc80686e628488b04f73983a770.jpg

The fault appears as soon as the ignition is switched on (even with a cold engine), the pointer flies up to Maximum on the gauge.. In my case I fitted a new sender unit. Others have removed the binnacle over the gauges, unplugged the wiring and earthed it out (with the ignition off of course), it was believed to be caused by Static electricity due to a poor Earth. Others have also just cleaned the connections on the Sender and the Binnacle.

Archived