PVC registration charges.

Brian Kirby

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-06 1:15 PM

The “M” and “N” references relate to Type Approval categories and, if a vehicle has been assigned a Type Approval class, this won’t change. Type Approval classes are summarised here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/definition-of-vehicle-categories.asp

and ‘coachbuilt’ motorhomes will normally be assigned to the “M1SP” class..........................

But, where a panel van is professionally converted into a motorhome, the converter (UK or continental) will alter the T/A category from N1 to M1 on his final stage CoC. The converted van then becomes a motor caravan, and is allocated to M1SP, as with coachbuilts. I think the DIY converter has a route to achieve this with single vehicle T/A, but I have no idea if this is worthwhile pursuing.

Setting the applicable speed limit against an unladen weight of 3,050kg seems to be a UK quirk. Folk should bear in mind that, once outside UK, the determinant is whether the MAM exceeds 3,500kg, when lower limits apply (as relevant for the country one is in).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as an update to the above on VED.

A tale of three motorhomes; and related matters. :-)

All three are based on a 2017 Fiat Ducato X290, 3,500kg MAM, 2.3 litre, 130PS, 6.0M long. One is RHD, the other two LHD. All come with Fiat Certificates of Conformity (CoCs) that show CO2 emissions (combined cycle) as 179g/km, and the T/A category as N1 (goods). All are converted to motorhomes under the EU multi-stage procedure (DIRECTIVE 2007/46/EC), gaining final stage CoCs as type M1 (passenger).

Van A is RHD and is converted to a motorhome in the UK. The T/A procedure is undertaken by the UK Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA). It leaves the factory with a final stage CoC that omits the original Fiat CO2 figures, and passes to a dealer who registers it in June 2017, in accordance with DVLA procedure, to be issued with a V5C showing its body type as "Motor Caravan" and its taxation class as "Private/Light Goods (PLG)." Applicable VED rate (2017) £245.

Van B is LHD and is converted within the EU, but outside UK. The T/A procedure is handled by its national authorised body. It leaves the factory with a final stage CoC that omits the original Fiat CO2 figures, and passes to a UK dealer who registers it in June 2017, in accordance with DVLA procedure, to be issued with a V5C showing its body type as "Motor Caravan" and its taxation class as "Private/Light Goods (PLG)." Applicable VED rate (2017) £245.

Van C is also LHD, converted within the EU but outside UK. The T/A procedure is handled by its national authorised body. It leaves the factory with a final stage CoC that may, or may not, include the original Fiat CO2 figures, and passes to a local dealer, from whom it is bought privately for import into the UK, in June 2017. On arrival in UK it is prepared for registration by having its headlamps changed to dip left, its speedometer altered to show MPH and KPH, and its rear fog lights verified as meeting UK requirements. It is then submitted for Mutual Recognition to the UK T/A authority, the VCA, at the end of which it is issued with an Individual Authorisation Certificate (IAC), allowing it to be registered in accordance with DVLA procedure. The IAC includes (as required under DIRECTIVE 2007/46/EC) the CO2 figures from the Fiat (first stage) CoC. It is then submitted for registration by DVLA, to be issued with a V5C showing its body type as "Motor Caravan" and its taxation class (based on the CO2 figures shown on the IAC, irrespective of whether or not these are shown on the final stage CoC) as "Diesel Car". Applicable VED rate (2017) £800 year 1, £450 years 2 - 6, £140 thereafter.

I am assured that the VED rates as applicable to Van C (personal import) will apply equally (but subject to the stage 1 CO2 emissions - over 190g/km the year 1 rate rises in three steps to £2,000, between 151 - 170g/km it is £500) to all new (i./e. not previously registered) coachbuilt and A class vans privately imported to UK in future, while the VED rates applicable to vans A and B (whether or not left hand drive) will continue to be PLG as above.

If the vehicle's MAM exceeds 3,500kg it will, in all cases, go into taxation class "Private/HGV", with VED charged at £165.

You may wish to take account of the above if intending to import privately into UK from within the EU. The obvious winners from this are those importing vehicle weighing over 3,500kg MAM, and (possibly) previously registered vehicles.

The above is believed correct. If anyone knows otherwise I'd be grateful for correction. Thanks.

Hi Brian,

What's your authority for this - have you been speaking to Mr. Hammond on the qt?!

Do you know when these changes are intended to come into effect? Will there be a written explanation from HMRC?

One imagines this tax could have a fairly drastic effect on coachbuilt and A-Class sales. Or maybe folk will just put up with it?

Presumably, in your examples, Vehicles A, B and C are all PVC's rather than coachbuilts?

How do the authorities propose to deal with the fact that it's well-nigh impossible to calculate accurately the CO2 emissions of such vehicles because of the changed bodywork, (albeit they will always be worse than the original design!).

I am struggling to see the logic behind these changes; but when did logic ever apply to taxation?!

This March 2017 DVLA document may be of interest

http://dvla.dft.gov.uk/ved/industry-brief-motorhomes-kit-builds-multi-stage-build-vehicles.pdf

My LHD Rapido motorhome’s Fiat Certificate of Conformity (CofC) carries no Category of Vehicle description (not surprising as Fiat just provides Rapido with a chassis-cab that is unsuitable to be driven on the road) and no CO2 datum (for the same reason).

The Rapido CofC categorises my motorhome as “M1 Autocaravane > 2600kg” and includes the statement “Emissions de CO2/consommation de carburant : non concerné”.

So, whether marketed through a UK dealer or personally imported, there’s no way for the vehicle to be UK-registered other than in the PLG class. I’d expect other non-panel-van conversions to be in the same position.

(Can’t say I care much for the idea where a personally-imported motorhome with no CO2 datum on its final-stage CofC can be UK-registered as a ‘Diesel car’, as it seems to directly conflict with the DVLA’s own stance.)

brom - 2017-11-18 6:02 PM

Hi Brian,

What's your authority for this - have you been speaking to Mr. Hammond on the qt?!

Do you know when these changes are intended to come into effect? Will there be a written explanation from HMRC?

One imagines this tax could have a fairly drastic effect on coachbuilt and A-Class sales. Or maybe folk will just put up with it?

Presumably, in your examples, Vehicles A, B and C are all PVC's rather than coachbuilts?

How do the authorities propose to deal with the fact that it's well-nigh impossible to calculate accurately the CO2 emissions of such vehicles because of the changed bodywork, (albeit they will always be worse than the original design!).

I am struggling to see the logic behind these changes; but when did logic ever apply to taxation?!

Hi Andrew. The rates quoted are the present rates of VED for vehicles registered post 1/4/17, and are presently visible on the DVLA website.

Not sure which particular "changes" you are referring to. It depends somewhat on what seems to you to have changed! :-) It is complex, and my explanation is possibly not the clearest achievable - but, sadly, 'twas ever thus! The main point I wanted to highlight is that the rate of VED chargeable varies hugely depending on the route one takes to buying a new van. The key lies in the differences in the path van C takes to UK registration, and the role of the IAC in that.

During my (expensive!) researches I was also told that the omission of the stage 1 CoC CO2 data from final stage UK issued CoCs was legally dubious, and appeared to conflict with DIRECTIVE 2007/46/EC, specifically with footnote "Q" (page 376) to Appendix 1 of Annex XI (page 317), which states ................."An EC type-approval issued to the most representative base vehicle remains valid irrespective of change in the reference weight."

This was argued to mean that where the stage 1 CoC contains data such as the CO2 emissions, they must be copied over to the final stage CoC. In other words, since the Fiat (and presumably other manufacturers') CoC for the N1 van includes the CO2 data, it must also appear on the final stage CoC for the converted M1 motorhome.

Presently, as above, it doesn't. If it did, all motorhomes based on light commercial vehicles or minibuses or whatever (few aren't) should all be placed into graduated VED as for vehicle C.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-18 6:25 PM.............................(Can’t say I care much for the idea where a personally-imported motorhome with no CO2 datum on its final-stage CofC can be UK-registered as a ‘Diesel car’, as it seems to directly conflict with the DVLA’s own stance.)

But, where the base vehicle is a class N1 van, and the Fiat CoC gives the CO2 data, even of the final stage CoC omits this, the personal import will have the stage 1 CO2 data quoted on its IAC. When DVLA register the vehicle they will use the IAC data if the final stage CoC is blank and, if 3,500kg or less MAM, the van will go into the Diesel Car taxation class and be subject to post April 2017 CO2 based graduated VED.

Even our present (2013) Hymer has the Fiat CoC as well as the AlKo and Hymer CoCs and, even for the Fiat cowl only, it states the CO2 emissions as 189g/km on combined cycle.

What confuses me is that your sources seem to be saying that the law currently, as from 1/4/17, is that all 3,500kg motorhomes or lighter SHOULD be charged at the higher rates, and that the CO2 emissions SHOULD be displayed. But that clearly isn't currently happening.

So, when is it expected that that the authorities will turn their attention to this anomaly, which is costing them a lot in lost taxation, and start insisting that converters display the CO2 emissions? And, given that it applies from 1/4/17, do your sources suggest this might be applied retrospectively? That really WOULD be popular!

I still don't see they can say what the emissions are, not because of the weight issue, but because the bodywork will cause variable amounts of drag, depending on the style, and therefore different fuel consumptions, model by model.

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-18 7:12 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-18 6:25 PM.............................(Can’t say I care much for the idea where a personally-imported motorhome with no CO2 datum on its final-stage CofC can be UK-registered as a ‘Diesel car’, as it seems to directly conflict with the DVLA’s own stance.)

But, where the base vehicle is a class N1 van, and the Fiat CoC gives the CO2 data, even of the final stage CoC omits this, the personal import will have the stage 1 CO2 data quoted on its IAC. When DVLA register the vehicle they will use the IAC data if the final stage CoC is blank and, if 3,500kg or less MAM, the van will go into the Diesel Car taxation class and be subject to post April 2017 CO2 based graduated VED.

Even our present (2013) Hymer has the Fiat CoC as well as the AlKo and Hymer CoCs and, even for the Fiat cowl only, it states the CO2 emissions as 189g/km on combined cycle.

DVLA’s stated policy is that - for new ‘multi-stage construction’ motorhomes with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg - the VED class those vehicles should be placed in on first UK-registration will depend on whether or not the motorhome’s FINAL-STAGE Certificate of Conformity (CofC) has a CO2 datum on it.

I’m not sure who you’ve spoken to, but whatever the VCA is doing when producing an Individual Authorisation Certificate (IAC), in principle this should not be expected to override the DVLA’s stated policy.

It may be recalled how much difficulty I had getting sense out of the DVLA regarding the VED class an over-3500kg-MAM motorhome should be assigned to if its final-stage CofC carried a CO2 figure. If the DVLA is essentially treating identical up-to3500kg-MAM motorhomes differently for VED purposes if the VCA gets involved - despite such treatment conflicting with the DVLA’s own policy - the DVLA needs to be questioned about this.

There’s a danger in becoming bogged down with technical fine detail. In this instance the DVLA shoild be asked if their policy is ALWAYS to assign a new ‘type M1’ up-to-3500kg MAM motorhome to the PLG VED class if the vehicle’s final-stage CofC does not carry a CO2 datum on it, or if there are exceptions to that rule. And if there are exceptions, the DVLA should define what the exceptions are.

• 3 weeks later...
Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-19 9:45 AM

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-18 7:12 PM

DVLA’s stated policy is that - for new ‘multi-stage construction’ motorhomes with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg - the VED class those vehicles should be placed in on first UK-registration will depend on whether or not the motorhome’s FINAL-STAGE Certificate of Conformity (CofC) has a CO2 datum on it.

I’m not sure who you’ve spoken to, but whatever the VCA is doing when producing an Individual Authorisation Certificate (IAC), in principle this should not be expected to override the DVLA’s stated policy.

It may be recalled how much difficulty I had getting sense out of the DVLA regarding the VED class an over-3500kg-MAM motorhome should be assigned to if its final-stage CofC carried a CO2 figure. If the DVLA is essentially treating identical up-to3500kg-MAM motorhomes differently for VED purposes if the VCA gets involved - despite such treatment conflicting with the DVLA’s own policy - the DVLA needs to be questioned about this.

There’s a danger in becoming bogged down with technical fine detail. In this instance the DVLA shoild be asked if their policy is ALWAYS to assign a new ‘type M1’ up-to-3500kg MAM motorhome to the PLG VED class if the vehicle’s final-stage CofC does not carry a CO2 datum on it, or if there are exceptions to that rule. And if there are exceptions, the DVLA should define what the exceptions are.

I'm resurrecting this again, in order to try to dispel some of the confusion resulting from earlier information gained. I had previously posted:

"Van C is also LHD, converted within the EU but outside UK. The T/A procedure is handled by its national authorised body. It leaves the factory with a final stage CoC that may, or may not, include the original Fiat CO2 figures, and passes to a local dealer, from whom it is bought privately for import into the UK, in June 2017. On arrival in UK it is prepared for registration by having its headlamps changed to dip left, its speedometer altered to show MPH and KPH, and its rear fog lights verified as meeting UK requirements. It is then submitted for Mutual Recognition to the UK T/A authority, the VCA, at the end of which it is issued with an Individual Authorisation Certificate (IAC), allowing it to be registered in accordance with DVLA procedure. The IAC includes (as required under DIRECTIVE 2007/46/EC) the CO2 figures from the Fiat (first stage) CoC. It is then submitted for registration by DVLA, to be issued with a V5C showing its body type as "Motor Caravan" and its taxation class (based on the CO2 figures shown on the IAC, irrespective of whether or not these are shown on the final stage CoC) as "Diesel Car". Applicable VED rate (2017) £800 year 1, £450 years 2 - 6, £140 thereafter.

All OK until we reach the bit above in bold, which is incorrect. There is a document (not itself dated, but dating from 2013), to which Derek earlier referred, but which I could not find, issued jointly by DVLA and the NCC, which is admirably clear, of which individuals at DVLA seem not to have been reminded. Having now found it on the NCC website, I'm attaching a copy below. It is admirably clear and, I have been assured by DVLA, remains current.

So, finally, there is a clear instruction that the IAC is not to be taken as the determining document for graduated VED - even where it records CO2 emissions: this is to be determined by the inclusion of CO2 emissions data on the final stage CoC alone.

Unfortunately, because the document dates from 2013 and seems to have dropped out of sight at DVLA, a small number of imported motorhomes (one a huge Luton bodied coachbuilt) have wrongly been allocated to graduated VED. Anyone who is currently in this position should appeal DVLA's decision, citing the DVLA/NCC letter as evidence that the original allocation to graduated VED was wrong.

DVLA---NCC-letter-web.thumb.jpg.6795a3d9c644e875a88a4055cd529e3f.jpg

lennyhb - 2017-12-06 10:46 AM

Sorry Brian that is incorrect the IVA certificate does not show any emissions, the only way if would show emission is if the application had been field in incorrectly. here is a copy of my IVA.

Ah but :-) it is on mine, Lenny, because I've seen it (though I don't, at present, have the certificate)!

I suspect yours took a different route through IVA. Mine was submitted direct to VCA using the "mutual recognition" procedure, and the final IAC shows the CO2 figure at field 49, where yours is blank. This is a purely paper based procedure, and VCA have confirmed that, under this, they pick up and enter the CO2 data from either the first or final stage CoCs or, if neither shows CO2 data, will trawl the original Type Approval database and extract the CO2 figures from that. They are adamant that, being the UK T/A authority, they are obliged to work "by the book", and are required to enter CO2 figures from wherever they exist.

I suspect your van went through the DVSA route for "Basic IVA", was subject to a physical inspection of headlights, rear fog light, and speedo, and then relied on the final stage CoC data to produce the IAC. It is a more "relaxed" procedure, but is claimed to be prone to delays in obtaining the inspection appointment - though I imagine this varies depending on how busy one's nearest inspection facility is.

However, the joint DVLA/NCC document clarifies that it is only the entry (or lack of) on the final stage CoC that is relevant for VED allocation.

This is all because the treasury ni-jacked a procedure designed to ensure compliance by manufacturers with specified emissions standards, turned it into a basis for taxation, and then complicated it further by adding a vehicle price barrier (resulting in political pressure from motorhome manufacturers) that the present messy confusion has arisen. Even Kafka couldn't have invented a more labyrinthine bunch of contradictory rules! :-D

Exactly how I did it, applied myself, No IVA required that as I have said before this incorrect information on the VCA's website.

You are only required to submit the final C of C, and if you do that you will get an IAC with the emissions left blank. I assume on your one the importer did the application if so they have done it incorrectly and added £2600 to your bill. There are a few Funsters and members on here how have done it themselves and have the correct IAC.

Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to import yourself. :'(

From the VCA application:

"Original European Certificate of Conformity (CoC):

This document is usually A4 in size, is vehicle specific, issued by the vehicle manufacturer with a colour logo and / or a

watermark in the paper. The CoCs will have 52 numbered items and must be for the motorhome.

As well as giving details of the vehicle it will also include a European Whole Vehicle Type-Approval number and be

signed by a specified individual."

The clue is "Must be for the Motorhome" the Fiat one will not be for the Motorhome.

For anyone contemplating importing a left-hand drive motorhome from GERMANY, this webpage is worth reading

https://www.motorhomevoyager.co.uk/know-how/how-to/importing-a-motorhome-from-germany/

There are some ‘technical’ caveats - the original headlamps of the LHD Knauss motorhome that was imported evidently could be ‘twiddled’ to allow them to comply with the UK’s registration requirements, and (being Fiat Ducato-based) a Lockwood overlay could be fitted to the original km/h-only speedometer.

Either (or both) of these things may not be practicable with some motorhomes and, if the original headlamps and/or instrument-cluster need replacement, the cost could be significant.

Hello all,

Today I received my IAC from the VCA ( importing a new Hymer 588 dl ), it shows co2 number in field 48 and separately states ‘co2 combined as per base vehicle’ in remarks and exemptions at foot of the document. I sent only the final coc but they asked for the original 1st coc.

So, should I contact them or send all my documents to the DVLA and hope they get it right?

Tom

Tom 588 - 2017-12-06 1:40 PM

Hello all,

Today I received my IAC from the VCA ( importing a new Hymer 588 dl ), it shows co2 number in field 48 and separately states ‘co2 combined as per base vehicle’ in remarks and exemptions at foot of the document. I sent only the final coc but they asked for the original 1st coc.

So, should I contact them or send all my documents to the DVLA and hope they get it right?

Tom

Do not send them to DVLA, they will charge you the higher registration fee and once they have done they will not change it.

I would contact the VCA as I believe they have issued the IAC with incorrect information.

Mine that I posted a scan of is for a 2017 Hymer 678DL registered in April.

Hi Lenny,

VCA wouldn’t issue an IAC without seeing the 1st stage coc.

That’s where the picked up the co2 figure as it doesn’t appear on the other 2 coc.

I am guessing they won’t reissue IAC without the co2 figure even though it’s irrelevant to the final build.

How do I get hold of someone at DVLA who knows what it’s about .

Tom

Contacting DVLA will not help as if the Co2 is on the IAC they will charge you, I don't understand why the VCA would have asked for the Fiat C of C as it states Motorhome C of C which the Fiat one clearly is not. I wonder if the person processing your application had not dealt with Motorhomes before.

From the DVLA site.:

" 1. Cars and some motorhomes registered on or after 1 April 2017

You’ll pay a rate based on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions the first time it’s registered. This applies to:

cars

some motorhomes

Your motorhome’s included if both the following apply:

it’s in the M1SP category - check with your dealer if you’re not sure

its CO2 emissions are included on the ‘type approval certificate’ (this might be called a ‘certificate of conformity’ or ‘individual vehicle approval’)"

lennyhb - 2017-12-06 12:36 PM

Exactly how I did it, applied myself, No IVA required that as I have said before this incorrect information on the VCA's website.

You are only required to submit the final C of C, and if you do that you will get an IAC with the emissions left blank. I assume on your one the importer did the application if so they have done it incorrectly and added £2600 to your bill. There are a few Funsters and members on here how have done it themselves and have the correct IAC.

Would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to import yourself. :'(

From the VCA application:

This document is usually A4 in size, is vehicle specific, issued by the vehicle manufacturer with a colour logo and / or a watermark in the paper. The CoCs will have 52 numbered items and must be for the motorhome. As well as giving details of the vehicle it will also include a European Whole Vehicle Type-Approval number and be signed by a specified individual."

The clue is "Must be for the Motorhome" the Fiat one will not be for the Motorhome.

Curioser and curioser! :-) I've checked the downloadable form on VCA's website (Application for Commission Notice / Mutual Recognition - Motorhomes. Form MR-004 rev 2). Oddly, the wording you quote above has changed slightly, to the following:

This document is vehicle specific; issued by the vehicle manufacturer; there will be a colour logo and I or a watermark. For passenger cars we can accept CoCs with 51 or 52 numbered items. As well as giving details of the vehicle it will also include a European Type-Approval number and be signed by a specified individual."

No reference, now, to "motorhome", only to cars. I suspect someone has recently amended the form, and included the "Cars" wording in the "Motorhomes" form. It just gets better!

There was an initial complication with this vehicle, in that the original (German market) final stage CoC, as issued by Knaus, contained the CO2 data. I contacted Knaus to enquire if a final stage CoC in the form normally supplied for vehicles exported to UK could be supplied, which they did, and the replacement (UK market) CoC left the omissions data blank.

Because the inclusion of CO2 data on some IACs had previously resulted in vehicles being (wrongly) allocated to graduated VED, we then sought to substitute this replacement CoC for the original as submitted to VCA, to gain an IAC, as yours, with field 49 left blank. They replied that substitution was not possible, as the relevant CO2 data was present on both Knaus and Fiat CoCs, and would in any case have been identified against the original Type Approval records so the CO2 data would appear on the IAC, whatever the final stage CoC said. The following is from a VCA e-mail. "When processing IVA/IAC applications the VCA has a responsibility to authenticate the Type Approval data using all available sources. For an IVA/IAC application the Type Approved data is largely contained within the vehicle CoC that should confirm certain points from the vehicle Type Approval document. VCA will review all IVA/IAC application documents on a case by case bases to ensure the VCA issued certificate is as accurate as possible. VCA use the CoC data and if necessary, ask for the base vehicle CoC if key data is not included within the subsequent CoC as presented. Also, VCA can check the vehicle Type Approval document if data is not clear within the supplied CoC."

However, it is the joint DVLA/NCC statement which clarifies that inclusion or otherwise of CO2 information on the IAC is not relevant to whether or not a vehicle is allocated to graduated VED. As they make clear, this is determined purely by whether the final stage CoC contains the CO2 data. If it doesn't, the van goes to PLG/PHGV depending on weight, if it does, it goes to be taxed as a "diesel car" and is subject to graduated VED plus, in most cases, the post 1/4/17 surcharge applied to new vehicles with a UK list price exceeding £40K. Ouch!

I queried this with DVLA as follows: "My understanding ................ is that for registration and VED purposes, for class M1SP vehicles, the manufacturer’s final stage CoC alone determines the taxation class to which a vehicle is allocated. Where this final stage CoC shows a CO2 value, the vehicle will be licenced in a vehicle taxation class based on its CO2 emissions, and where it does not show a CO2 value, the vehicle will be licensed in the Private Light Goods or Private Heavy Goods Vehicle taxation class, depending on its weight.

I have since come across the attached joint statement issued by DVLA and the National Caravan Council which, assuming it remains extant, clearly supports the above understanding. Could you please confirm that this remains DVLA’s current policy?"

Their reply reads "Your understanding is correct. Depending on what your final stage COC shows, will reflect how the vehicle will be tax."

Re import costs, I'm happy (within reason! :-)) to pay someone else to collect the van. It was based in Ratzeburg, just south of Lubeck, which is a roughly 600 mile journey. Had I done so myself it would have cost me flights, hire car, fuel, two overnight hotels, channel crossing, and a hell of a lot of time. I should also have needed to pay the dealer in €, and would not have been able to get f/c insurance for the van for the return trip. So, there would still have been quite a high cost, plus a lot of time expended, and much more risk in the process. If someone provides a service, one expects to pay for it.

I don't agree the application was incorrect. What was submitted was exactly what was asked for on the various forms.

It has since become clear that any confusion that arose was due to DVLA not properly following their own statement on the significance of the final stage CoC, and instead on occasion (wrongly) substituting IAC data, and seeking to allocate vehicles to graduated VED on the strength of that. It seems that in the aftermath of the April 2017 VED changes, much depended on the individual who handled the application. Clearly some were familiar with the correct procedure, while others weren't!

Tom 588 - 2017-12-06 3:06 PM

Hi Lenny,

VCA wouldn’t issue an IAC without seeing the 1st stage coc.

That’s where the picked up the co2 figure as it doesn’t appear on the other 2 coc.

I am guessing they won’t reissue IAC without the co2 figure even though it’s irrelevant to the final build.

How do I get hold of someone at DVLA who knows what it’s about .

Tom

From my experience on the IAC, I think you are right. See also the quoted VCA e-mail in my post above.

I think you should send off the IAC you have, plus the other documents, with your V55/4 application form. Complete the relevant parts of the V55/4 making sure you describe "body type" as "motor caravan", and apply for taxation class PLG or PHGV as appropriate to its MAM, plus cheque for the appropriate sum.

If they reject the application (they shouldn't) they will say why. If the rejection relates to CO2 information on anything other than the final stage (Hymer) CoC, you should remind them of the joint 2013 DVLA/NCC statement as above. You can get a copy of the document here: http://tinyurl.com/ycyab88t Scroll down the page until you see "VED rules from 1 August 2013" and then look down for "DVLA and The national Caravan Council.........................." and click on "here" at the end of the line. It should open a word document. If that gives you a problem, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll let you have a .pdf copy.

Thanks for all the input, I think I’m going to include a copy the DVLA / NCA 2013 document together with a covering note I will also send a cheque for PLG tax class ..

One other thing, I have a V55/5 form as the van was preregistered in Germany with 100 kilometres on the clock. Is this correct or should I use the V55/4 form ?

And don’t forget that the UK VED tax classes that are based on CO2 emissions only apply to vehicles with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) not exceeding 3500kg.

So if a motorhome has a CO2 value on its ‘final stage’ Certificate of Conformity but has an over-3500k MAM, it should still be assigned by the DVLA to Tax Class TC10 (Private HGV).

There’s no doubt that some over-3500kg-MAM motorhomes have been incorrectly assigned by the DVLA to the ‘diesel car’ graduated-emissions class and the owner has paid through the nose as a result. (I’ve no idea if owners of over-3500kg-MAM motorhomes who have realised their vehicles have been incorrectly registered have managed to resolve the issue with the DVLA.)

I just had a look at the latest VCA application form and like you say Brian the only reference is to passenger cars not and have dropped the reference to Motorhomes. When I sent my off I used the forms I had on my PC same ones I used for the last van 3 years ago but I doubt if that would have made any difference. A friend did his in October and only sent the final C of C from N&B and it came back OK.

On the form they ask for the original C of C which I would take as the converters one as the Fiat one would be irrelevant once the vehicle has been converted.

There have been at least two cases I'm aware of where owners have paid the extra tax and DVLA have refused to budge saying once its registered that's it.

As the DVLA state if it has a Co2 figure on the IAC you will get charged no way would I risk sending your V55 in until you get the IAC sorted.

Another point on UK supplied vans they have an on the road figure included in the price list the Hymer one has not changed I'm sure it would have the dealer had to pay another £450 to register a van.

You could try phoning some Hymer dealers saying you are interested in a new Hymer and ask if the new VED applies to there Motorhomes.

My burstner final Coc does not give any Co2 data as per annexes as stipulated in 2007/46/EC.There you can read in which cases the data is not given. Your Coc must refer to these annexes why they are not there. In belgium we do not pay any reg taxes for motorhome class. we pay only road tax 20 euro per 500kg weight for a 3500kg class, and is not related to any Co2 figure just weight Cheers.

Archived