Engine mapping

Skydog1955

New vehicle....warranty terms and conditions = leave well alone.  IMO. In the event of something going wrong, and it is not unknown, during the warranty period you will have given those responsible for warranty work the opportunity to inform you that you have broken the warranty terms and are no longer covered.

Now that is worst case scenario but only you can answer the question:
Am I prepared to take that risk?

Skydog1955

The 150 version of the 2.3litre Ducato MJ 2 motor has a variable-geometry turbocharger, whereas the 130 MJ 2 motor does not. So the 150 powerplant produces its extra performance using ‘mechanical’ means, not just via a different map. It OUGHT to be possible by remapping a 130 motor to produce equivalent bhp/torque to the 150’s, but this will probably impact negatively on the 130’s Euro 6 status.

As has been warned above, it’s likely that a Fiat Professional agent will be able to detect the remapping if it is believed that this might have taken place and it matters (eg. if the motor blows up within the warranty period and there is argument over where the responsibility lies).

There’s also the question of whether any official software-map revisions that Fiat might apply to Ducato would be compatible with the unofficial £200 remap, either preventing the Fiat revision being carried out or overwriting the remap.

Fiat will definitely not authorise remapping a new Ducato and, if you check with Fiat, I’m sure they will confirm this and warn you of its potential effect on the vehicle’s warranty.

I chose the 150 motor option (£1160 in 2014) for my Rapido 640F, though the 130 should have been adequate for that relatively compact/light model. I’m glad I did as the 150 is tractable, revvy and powerful. I would not have considered remapping a 130, but it’s up to you what you do.

Archived