New leisure battery - should I charge it straight away?

michaelmorris

As previous reply.

if you van hàs alarm then it will need battery. However not having charge facikity at store, battery will run down and to avoid failure it need to have charging access .

If store itself is fully alarmed and guaranteed d secure, then keep battery at home and keep it charged there, until you retreive the van .

If store is not particularly secured, then you need to fit battery, and make regular charging visits to maintain battery condition..

tonyg3nwl

michaelmorris - 2017-10-28 12:26 PM

Agaric - 2017-10-28 11:23 AM

Why not just keep the battery at home and top-up when needed, then install it when you use the van.

I want to check the 12v system actually works with the new battery and I want to install some new lighting.

If you want to get the best from it you should charge it fully for at least 24 hours, and follow that with a couple of discharge/charge cycles taking it gently down by about 25% each time, and ending with another long full charge. Then, while it is in storage, disconnect it.

michaelmorris - 2017-10-29 2:16 AMI've just taken delivery of a new Varta leisure battery (the old one is knackered). My plan was to fit it tomorrow, but then the Van is going into storage for a month or so with no access to a mains. Should it be charged up overnight first before fitting?Thanks

Yes.  If you have a charger, give at least 24hrs charge before installation.

Archived