ford recall

tazdog6007

last couple of trips out the service required message kept appearing on the dash with an annoying ding to inform me. (transit 170 adblue model 5000 mls on clock.) phoned my local ford agent to explain the problem,only to be told there is a recall on this .why did i have to report this to be told on the recall? should ford have recalled before i had to? this i will ask when it goes disappointing :-|

tazdog6007 - 2017-10-31 9:27 AM

last couple of trips out the service required message kept appearing on the dash with an annoying ding to inform me. (transit 170 adblue model 5000 mls on clock.) phoned my local ford agent to explain the problem,only to be told there is a recall on this .why did i have to report this to be told on the recall? should ford have recalled before i had to? this i will ask when it goes disappointing :-|

It depends on the severity of the issue. Sometimes they just wait until its next service. Or it may be that you just happened to phone the dealer who had advance notice of the recall.

When I took mine in for it's injector problem investigating, there was a recall outstanding for "engine noise". Ford were more concerened about sorting this than investigating the fact that it was constantly going into limp mode with the injectors & insisted on doing the recall first. I felt at the time that, while this may well have need doing (though as I had done less than 30 miles at that point & I hadn't noticed any untoward noises), it was a delaying tactic as there were no injectors available at that time.

The "engine noise" recall was to do with the timing gears - quite a major job as I understand it. I haven't heard of (or been contacted about) a dipstick related recall. Ford do not seem to be very procative when it comes to recalls (or anything else customer service related !).

Nigel B

the person i spoke to said it was an issue concerning reversing light and something else (forgot which) .having done over 5000 trouble free miles,nothing to do with injectors,which i know some members have had serious issues with.At a guess i would suspect canbus wiring and software problem,but will find out and post after the fix.

I had a look on the Ford Etis site tonight & find that mine has this recall outstanding :

17B11 - TRANSIT - REVERSING LIGHT/PARKING SENSORS AND OIL DILUTION

The "Oil dilution" bit is a little concerning - a guess is it will be to do with DPF regeneration overfuelling & the excess fuel getting in to the sump maybe ?.

A trip to the Ford dealer then - Oh joy !

Nigel B

Not sure if this is the same problem but the original dipstick kept lifting out of its tube which I guess could allow a small amount of water to pass it on its way to the sump? it also apparantly give a warning light due to the dipstick not sitting far enough into the sump therefore showing a low oil reading....again apparantly

Regards

Andy

Oil dilution can occur due to bad crankcase ventilation.Tat dipstick should be air tight, mostly by a o ring If loose oil dilution can occur and in winter when your PCV system is frozen it can blow out your sump oil. That is why the nordic countries have heated PCV systems. it can be related to their new egine and his euro 6 emission control system, Put an OBD reader on it and read the pcv section.

andy mccord - 2017-11-01 12:04 PM

Not sure if this is the same problem but the original dipstick kept lifting out of its tube which I guess could allow a small amount of water to pass it on its way to the sump? it also apparantly give a warning light due to the dipstick not sitting far enough into the sump therefore showing a low oil reading....again apparantly

Regards

Andy

I have done a bit of digging into this & have come across 2 references to dipstick problems on the Euro 6 Transit on the Transit Forums - one is a change of dipstick length to vary the oil level (can't recall if it was to raise or lower the level) & the other relates to an oil quality sensor mounted at the base of the disptick assembly & which requires the whole dipstick tube assembly to be changed. This is apparently due to a number of users getting a message to have the oil changed due to deterioration after 3-5000 miles - this may be linked to oil dilution & level changes due to DPF regeneration.

My van is in the MH dealers for a grill thermocouple change at the moment, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get it into the Ford dealer to get whatever needs doing done.

Nigel B

There’s more about the recent recall in the last couple of pages of this Transit Forum thread

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=177370&hilit=dipstick&start=75

There is a screen-shot of the Ford etis recall-notice in one of the postings, but you’ll need to register on that forum to view it. I’ve attached a copy that (hopefully) will be legible.

Screenshot_20170923-194149.png.ad2e280d1fa02c92e3e03f2887a1c3df.png

Archived