Personal travel insurance

Roy

As we are both turned 70 (sigh!) we find it increasingly difficult to find suitable annual policy. Our expired policy was increased so much, although we have no health declarations, that I was forced to look elsewhere. We have now taken suitable annual policy with essential travel.co.uk, underwritten by AXA for £99.99, which covers two of us.

May be worth considering if you are looking for travel insurance.

Roy.

Two other good sources are Age Concern and Saga.

But do read the policy document - Travel insurance is now a price-based commodity and you may find exceptions you don't like. For example, would you visit Egypt without cover against terrorist attacK? Most travel policies exclude terrorism, and yet we Brits frequently travel to countries where we are at significant risk even tho' the Foriegn Office does not advise against travel. Countries such as Egypt, Kenya, Bali, Spain, and others have all suffered recent terrorist attacks that killed and injured innocent civilians and tourists.

Those injured in the Egypt attacks were left hugely out of pocket because neither their medical treatment, legal costs nor repatriation were covered in most policies and the government refused to pay - both ours and the Egyptian one.

Since early 2005, our Travel Insurance risk has been covered by COMFORT INSURANCE (N.U. Policy) as a 'bolt-on' item to their 'Home Comfort' Policy which appears very comprehensive and permits up to 60 days away for any single trip, you can elect to pay higher premium for longer stays away. I am 65 and paid the same each year - £58.00, I don't know how much it may be for 70 or, over.

ALL our Insurance requirements are covered by COMFORT, Motorhome, Car, Home, Home Contents, Vehicle Breakdown and Travel. We find it much simpler dealing with one firm and, the economic sense of this decision, was a saving of £402.00!!!! for the total premium cost for the first year, against what we were paying to several Insurers.

Archived