teleco magicsat

Colinvee

Hi

For reasons I wont bore you with we have not used our TV for a few years but last weekend we tried it only to get a message "motor blocked" on the tv screen. The hand book says to look for an obstruction which I did but cant see anything. The dish is stuck in a horizontal, rearward facing position instead of its usual downward slope to the rear. Starting the vehicle had no effect on the dish. Have tried it again since I got home but, after a brief "grunt" from the motor, I got the same message and nothing appears to have changed. Whilst removing the installation completely (seeing as how we never watch it) might be the short answer I would rather get it working and retain it as an asset.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Colinvee - 2017-10-31 2:30 PM.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Only thing that springs to mind is that as its not been used for some time and as from what you say it's lifted a little now it's stuck can you get to flex it by hand while its being operated spray some type of lubricant into it

My Autosat2 did the same a good few years ago and despite several enquires to various dealers no interest was shown for various reasons. So it sits there on the roof doing nothing. I refuse to buy a new one if they cannot be bothered to entertain a mere look at the old one, In its death throes it managed to drop all satalite locations and channels so I’ve given up on it as it was no longer any use in Spain. I fitted a Teleco Teleplus2 aerial and watch the local tv channels of which there are many and some are broadcast in dual language. Sorry I can’t be of any great help. You might try Conrad Anderson as they deal with the Oyster sat system and Teleco

I agree with Witzend, as my first reaction was "Simples its stuck".

Motor "blocked" is probably a literal translation. In UK terminology it would read "Motor stalled". This is comparable to stalling an engine, however a stalled electric motor can draw several to many times the normal operating current, and if not switched off will probably burn out.

I suspect that the control system is detecting the abnormal current, and switching the motor off after a short time delay.

If possible, as Witzend has suggested, try spraying some lubricant into the dish hinge points.

Alan

thanks for all your advice. Will get up on roof and give the lubricant a try first and if that doesn't work give an installer a ring. Fortunately its orientation doesn't prevent us from using the vehicle. Anyone tried taking one of these to bits?

I have this system on my Adria twin. Last year mine did the same. I contacted " RHINO-INSTALLS "who is my local dealer in the north west. He fitted a new lift motor for about £250, and we are back in business. It is a bit noisier when it closes but otherwise perfect. Just check out your local teleco dealer.

Colinvee - 2017-11-02 9:24 AM

thanks for all your advice. Will get up on roof and give the lubricant a try first and if that doesn't work give an installer a ring. Fortunately its orientation doesn't prevent us from using the vehicle. Anyone tried taking one of these to bits?

The drive up on the roof is easy to dismantle, Take photo's if you are not sure. There are 2 small electric motors and to sets of drive gears for rotation and elevation and a couple of micro switches. The complicated bit is the control unit in your van. If you slacken off the dish support arms from the drive then get some one to turn on the system as usual this usually "unblocks" the mechanism but you must support the dish by hand and hold it in an upright position as it will not rise now you have slackened it off the drive. Once you hear the motors running get the opperator to park or turn off the system this will return the drive to the park position. Lower the dish to where it was when you started, ie its park position laying horizontal re- tighten the dish support arms and the LNB arm. It would pay to give these drives a spray of penetrating oil while undone. Operate system as normal to see if the "dish blocked" warning is cancelled and the dish operates as normal. That's the best I can do and hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Tried the route suggested by keninpalamos but still got motor blocked message.

Looking on roof I have a 500mm square plate and fitted to this is the metal base ring of the dish mechanism. Covering the workings is a plastic shroud that doesn't appear to have any fixing screws so maybe this is held in place by moulded in pressure clips and will pop off if these can be released and give access to the motors and gears? Yes/no anybody? don't want to go forcing anything!!

Maybe I have to undo the mounting ring and lift the whole thing off?

Welcome any advice, thanks everyone.

I had a similar problem with my Oyster system - Y-motor blocked (or something like that).

The problem was found to be a faulty micro-switch. This is triggered by a 20mm pin, sticking out from the vertical drive shaft. The pin had bent because the shaft continued to rotate ie. the motor wasn't being switched off by the micro-switch.

I removed the dish by undoing the 2 bolts either side. Removed the plastic cover, 2 small screws either end. The plastic cover was sealed around the perimeter with weatherproof sealant, but this came away fairly easily.

Bought a new micro-switch from Maplin. All OK now.

A very helpful guy from Oyster Sat-Tech talked me through the procedure for re-setting the dish arm.

I guess that most automatic satellite dishes are fairly similar in mode of operation.

However, a word of warning. The guy at Oyster Sat-Tech did say that micro-switch faults are fairly rare, in his experience.

PS. When I mentioned vertical drive shaft, it is the drive that controls the elevation of the dish. The vertical drive shaft is actually horizontal and connects directly to the 2 bolts that hold the dish in place.

cheers Robbo

After I sent the last post I took a chance and went back up on the roof and found two plastic pins keeping the cover on place. pulled them out and wrestled the cover off and then got my better half to operate the tv and control unit.

After switching on the control unit in the van a few seconds elapse and then the "raising" motor kicks in but only for a few turns and then it cuts out. "Motor blocked" message appears on tv. Pressing "down" on the remote had no effect nor did switching off the control unit. However, switching the control unit back on caused the motor to kick in and reverse the previous few turns, putting the stop pin back against the microswitch and cutting off the supply. The dish would now be back in its normal resting place so for now I have reassembled it all to make it weatherproof and drivable while I make further enquiries.

Thank you for advice and contact details

Colinvee - suggest you don't contact Oyster Sat-Tech because they'll only refer you to the main Teleco agent.

They don't have the expertise to work on or give advice on other systems.

The majority of Oyster systems have a satellite controller and separate receiver. It sounds like your Teleco system has an integrated controller/receiver system.

At least the micro-switch is working OK, unless there is another micro-switch which controls the horizontal movement / motor. Best of luck and hope you manage to get it sorted.

I don't want to dampen your spirits but recently a member on a closed MH forum had problems with his Teleco satellite system. He visited the NEC and made contact with Teleco dealers. Their advice was to purchase a complete new system. Perhaps, it was a case where the software couldn't be upgraded.

However, don't give up, as your symptoms appear more mechanically related.

We had one of these systems and can agree with comments that there is little point in contacting Teleco directly. I don't know where you are but we had our system looked at by a Teleco agent in Newmarket who was very helpful. We never had the system repaired due to selling the motorhome but they were able to quote for the parts needed. If I remember correctly parts prices were quite dear which maybe why they say replace the whole system instead of repair, this is the way today. ;-)

Hope that helps you.

Archived