Crit-air essential?

rooster63

Hopefully off to France next year, provisionally Cherbourg, Loire Valley, Biarritz, Bordeaux, Ile De Re. Do I need to get a Crit-air as I'm going nowhere near Paris or any of the other cities listed although there is some speculation that Bordeaux may follow suit. I have a Euro 4 engine in my van.

From other postings some folk have found it a bit of a hassle so do I need the agro?

My wife and I recently returned fron a five week trip to Europe that included France and Germany. The Crit Air was not needed this time, I simply thought might as well get it anyway as more towns will require it in the future and it is not expensive and lasts for the life of the vehicle(or the windscreen) so why not?

I also got the sticker for Germany and did drive in a location that required it but was certainly not checked.

I found the online application for both quite straightforward apart from resizing the V5 document to e mail, but succeed in the end!

Both stickers came through quite quickly with no problems, I would just apply for the Crit Air, then you have it.

I got a Crit-Air sticker because I knew I would be driving through the zone at Grenoble. I didn't see any means of enforcement or control when in the zone and only a few of the local vehicles seemed to be displaying a sticker. I kept an eye out during our 4-5 weeks in France and didn't see a single French motorhome with a sticker, so I suspect it could just be a sneaky new tourist tax! :-D

The french are not like us. If they don't like a law they ignore it. one of the things i admire them for. went through Lyon in summer no bother ,did not see any stickers on cars .unlike us oooooo! must get a sticker !they will get around to it one day.unless it interferes with lunch

tazdog6007 - 2017-11-07 4:03 PM

The french are not like us. If they don't like a law they ignore it. one of the things i admire them for. went through Lyon in summer no bother ,did not see any stickers on cars .unlike us oooooo! must get a sticker !they will get around to it one day.unless it interferes with lunch

Exactly.

You may mock the UK drivers who have bought the Crit'air stickers but I believe this crack down on polluting vehicles is not going to go away on the Continent.

This is not like the Sarkozy debacle with the Breathalyser law but is going to be implemented whether you like it or not.

The cost for a sticker of €4.80 for the lifetime of your vehicle is to be weighed against the potential fine of €68 (increased after 45 days if not paid) seems to be a bargain.

Time after time over the past few years we have seen Municipal Police and the Gendarmerie stopping drivers and checking details of their vehicles.

You'll only need to be stopped once in, or near, a Crit'air area and you'll soon regret not buying a Sticker – they don't send you a letter asking for the fine but they do extract cash from you at the roadside.

It's your choice but I know what I'm doing about the Crit'air sticker – and I never bought a breathalizer.

Is it essential? Essential for what? If you visit one of the emissions zones, you are liable to be fined if you don't have one. If you don't go into any of those towns, you are not at risk of a fine for lack of the Crit-air disc.

You are at liberty to visit, and enter, these towns as you choose, and to carry the Crit-air disc, or not, as you choose.

If you are happy to pay the fine if you get it wrong, the disc can hardly be considered essential. If you wish to avoid getting fined due to your error, the disc is presumably desirable for you - but still hardly essential.

Solomongrundy - 2017-11-10 11:36 AM

...You'll only need to be stopped once in, or near, a Crit'air area and you'll soon regret not buying a Sticker – they don't send you a letter asking for the fine but they do extract cash from you at the roadside...

I have not applied for a Crit’Air sticker because a) I‘m confident I will not be driving now or in the future anywhere near any of the French cities where vehicle-emissions schemes are currently in force and b) if the schemes are extended to places where I believe I might drive, it’s easy enough to obtain the necessary sticker.

(I would undoubtedly regret not having bought a sticker if I were stopped and fined by the French police within an area where a Crit’Air scheme was in operation, but why should I regret this if I were only “near” a Crit’Air area?)

Just back from 8 weeks in France and Germany. We saw few Crit-Air stickers in France and even noticed several Department 75 (Paris town) cars without them, which seems strange.

I would like to know just how much effort the French are putting into enforcing the use of these stickers. Has anyone heard of a prosecution?

pagey - 2017-11-12 10:00 AM

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-11 4:47 PM

Who is "they" and who is "us"?

the french police and motorhomes

Isn't this limited to a relatively few locations along the Cote d'Azur, roughly from Le Lavandou to Menton? Motorhomers made themselves unpopular by parking wherever they could along this stretch, often blocking residents' views of the sea from their rather expensive villas - and other annoying habits - in an area very popular with the rich and influential. So, various restrictions were placed on parking (some illegal under French law :-)) to discourage what is seen as nuisance parking, and the Police Municipal were despatched to enforce the restrictions.

I don't see this as widespread, or as typifying the French police attitude to motorhomers. It is the behaviour of a particular group of people who are not that well regarded by the French in general (much as Parisiens aren't that popular outside Paris!). The rest of France and, so far as my experiences tell me, the French in general, is remarkably motorhome friendly. I think it a bit unfair to attribute this localised "hostility" to an entire nation who, elsewhere, are generally very welcoming. Apologies for the O/T.

i have no problem with the french people its the police i am not keen on i have been stopped 3 times and asked for my papers for no apparent reason and then tld to move on and once fined for crossing a white line with 3 other english all of us fined the 4th was french and sent on his way no fine for him

Stopped for checks ... looking for criminals perhaps. Fined for crossing a line ... no problem there. The last one 'French' may have been of Diplomatic immunity as in the UK..

I was once with a group of French pedestrians when we were almost run down by the police with no intentions of stopping and a second time I've been cycling with a group who were protected by arm banded outriders and where they would aim at strangers who were in our path.

The remedy is be aware say nothing and obey.

Archived