Hymer versus Benimar

Poppy

Benimar are now using timber free construction they look OK but not much of a track record over here. I might be biased as I'm on my 3rd Hymer if you plan on changing the van after a few years a Hymer would be the better option. A lot of the latest Hymers now use double skin aluminium walls like Carthago & N&B.

If you import a Hymer you will save loads of dosh we have imported all 3 of ours.

lennyhb - 2017-11-07 4:51 PM

Benimar are now using timber free construction they look OK but not much of a track record over here. I might be biased as I'm on my 3rd Hymer if you plan on changing the van after a few years a Hymer would be the better option. A lot of the latest Hymers now use double skin aluminium walls like Carthago & N&B.

If you import a Hymer you will save loads of dosh we have imported all 3 of ours.

I concur, Hymer every time, we're on our 2nd. Importing is usually the best option, particularly if like us you want LH drive.

Well - what do I say? 

I actually own a Benimar unlike the other commenters.

(I've never been in a Hymer so wouldn't know!)
We have had our Benimar for about 8 years. Build quality in my opinion is very good - which is why we chose it - far better than all the other motorhomes we looked at. 

As others have said though you don't see many here, and mine is 13 years old now, so I've no idea what the modern ones are like. The UK backup is very limited I think. (fortunately I haven't had to use it!)

I understand that Hymers are very good and lots of people swear by them and their UK backup is in place, so maybe that is a good reference?

I have been very impressed by the latest Benimar's after viewing a few at a Marquis dealership. As I was thinking of buying one I joined the Benimar Facebook group and was impressed by the very positive reaction Benimar motorhomes were given by the membership. Hymer vans seem quite rudimentary by comparison but you cannot deny they have a proven long term reputation. I gather from the Facebook group that it is not difficult to negotiate substantial discounts on the retail price of a Benimar.

Benimar has not been back in the UK market for long. I'm not sure the recent offerings have had time to prove their build quality. Hymer has had a consistent presence even through the credit crunch. Recent Benimars look good to me and it is easy to see their appeal to buyers. If I was buying new in Poppy's budget, a Benimar would be on the list. However, if I was willing to buy second hand, I would take a Hymer Aclass over a Benimar - more because of what is in the design and the fact my two Hymers have not leaked - Benimars might not leaked either. Hymers are not good value for money whereas Benimars do look good value.

I have a 4 year old 6m Hymer 504 Aclass. Not many about. It's not been fault free but 6 faults in 4 years plus 2 Fiat problems is OK I suppose as none have stopped our motorhoming so are only irritants. Notwithstanding the irritants, we have yet to find anything better for us. We had our last Hymer from new for 8 years and only changed it to get a passenger airbag and the newer Fiat offering.

Well I have owned my Benimar new since march, mine is an odd one really with having a webasto heater and gas only boiler which TBH I wasnt so keen on but the layout won the day. they do a Mileo in the same layout, which you do get the combi boiler in that but the table isnt fixed which is a joke to me

I previously owned a Airstream and a Adria coral and I would say at the moment the Benimar falls in between the swift and the Adria IMO, but a lot nearer to the Adria than to the swift :o)

Regards

Andy

We owned a 2016 Benimar Milio 202 and recently changed to 2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 A Class, Dethleffs are part of the Hymer group.

And if i could turn back the clock I would the Benimar was in our opinion the better van, quieter to drive and better built despite the Dethleffs costing a third more.

Archived