New owner, solar & battery question

Lucas

Hi

Just brought our first MH, Autotrail Cheyenne 2003.

Being in our 30s we are taking some time out of work to travel around Europe, living off grid.

Having only been out in it once, we already have a flat starter battery and the cigarette socket is not working,so couldn't charge the sat nav on the go.

Not the best start.

From reading the forums I understand using a solar panel is a good way to keep the leisure battery and starter battery topped up. Especially as we will have limited access to mains hookup.

100w solar panel arrives today, but should/can I hook the panel up to my Sargant system?

If so will I still need a regulator?

The other option I think I have is, connecting the solar panel to a dual regulator, then from the regulator direct to the batteries. Is this correct?

Any recommendations on the installation or what type of regulator will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Don't know which version of the Sargent electronics you have installed, but lots of Sargent specific Solar advice on our webpage here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/sargent.php

Lists those with built in Solar regulators, what cables you need, SMART charging, etc.

Also more generic Solar advice here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php that covers installation 'Hints and Tips', plus what a solar panel is likely to yield at different times of the year and in different parts of the World.

Also covers Dual battery regulators, wiring, Battery Care, etc.

Suggest you have a look at the Battery Technology page as well, as the best batteries will maximise your Solar gain, the worst will leak it away.

If you are serious about going off grid through Winter, you might want to look at the Alternator charging system on your vehicle too?

So maybe check out the webpage 'Add a Second battery' as that covers some hints and tips on getting the best from the Alternator charging without overloading it.

Lucas - 2017-11-08 8:34 AM

Hi

Just brought our first MH, Autotrail Cheyenne 2003.

Being in our 30s we are taking some time out of work to travel around Europe, living off grid.

Having only been out in it once, we already have a flat starter battery and the cigarette socket is not working,so couldn't charge the sat nav on the go.

Not the best start.

From reading the forums I understand using a solar panel is a good way to keep the leisure battery and starter battery topped up. Especially as we will have limited access to mains hookup.

100w solar panel arrives today, but should/can I hook the panel up to my Sargant system?

If so will I still need a regulator?

The other option I think I have is, connecting the solar panel to a dual regulator, then from the regulator direct to the batteries. Is this correct?

Any recommendations on the installation or what type of regulator will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

If you are planning to go off grid mostly, then I would certainly invest in a new good battery, with a guarantee ! You will probably need to use sites occasionally, laundry , decent showers, maybe? So use the EHU, to give batteries a good charging then. Also get the ACSI book, for the times when you may need a camp site, worth the cost IMO.

PJay

You haven't posted much in way of details, but a flat starter battery is maybe a sign of other problems.

I'm not sure on the system used on your van, but you would hope that the starter battery would take several weeks of no use before causing problems, adding a solar panel might just be hiding a underlying problem that will come back and bite you.

aandncaravan - 2017-11-08 9:46 AM

Don't know which version of the Sargent electronics you have installed, but lots of Sargent specific Solar advice on our webpage here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/sargent.php

Lists those with built in Solar regulators, what cables you need, SMART charging, etc.

Also more generic Solar advice here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php that covers installation 'Hints and Tips', plus what a solar panel is likely to yield at different times of the year and in different parts of the World.

Also covers Dual battery regulators, wiring, Battery Care, etc.

Suggest you have a look at the Battery Technology page as well, as the best batteries will maximise your Solar gain, the worst will leak it away.

If you are serious about going off grid through Winter, you might want to look at the Alternator charging system on your vehicle too?

So maybe check out the webpage 'Add a Second battery' as that covers some hints and tips on getting the best from the Alternator charging without overloading it.

My system is the Sargant EC200 v1.2m & PSU 2007.

Thanks for the reply and the links :-D

colin - 2017-11-08 10:19 AM

You haven't posted much in way of details, but a flat starter battery is maybe a sign of other problems.

I'm not sure on the system used on your van, but you would hope that the starter battery would take several weeks of no use before causing problems, adding a solar panel might just be hiding a underlying problem that will come back and bite you.

Hi Colin

Sorry for the lack of detail, my unit is a Sargent EC200 & 2007 PSU.

I don't know how old the starter battery is, but I do know the van has not had much use over the last few years. Only 1400k on a 2003 plate.

Also we have not been able to drive it until the other day, so it has sat still for 6-8 weeks.

Thanks for the reply

Lucas - 2017-11-09 3:48 PM

Hi Colin

I don't know how old the starter battery is, but I do know the van has not had much use over the last few years. Only 1400k on a 2003 plate.

Also we have not been able to drive it until the other day, so it has sat still for 6-8 weeks.

Thanks for the reply

Quite a few people have had problems with starting a MH if it's been standing unused for 6-8 weeks, but checking the starter battery would be a good idea. It might also be a good idea to monitor the batteries in situ without the solar panel to see if there is anything causing them to discharge more than might be expected. Once you have done this the panel can be left on to make sure everything is kept fully charged.

Lucas - 2017-11-09 3:48 PM

Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply

The webpage shows how to wire Solar and what Solar cables are required for a EC 225/PSU 2007, not sure if the Solar setup is the same for the EC200 2007 PSU? Maybe you mean the display is an EC200, but the PSU is an EC225? It could be either.

Maybe have a read of the webpage, it might help you work it out?.

The page is not Sales Biased as we don't do Solar any longer, just information.

Same with the Generic Solar Pages linked above, just independent information, no hard sell.

Thanks aandcaravan

Your website has some great information on it.

Just ordered a Varta battery for my starter battery as recommended and will order the same for my leisure battery soon.

My panel and unit are both Sargent EC200. From what I can find on the forums does not support solar systems.

So now more questions :-D,

Is it ok to wire a Voltronic duo regulator direct to my batteries? I don't want to cause any issues to my sergeant system.

Or would I be better replacing the Sargent system with a new model?

And if I do this will I still need to buy a regulator?

Cheers

2001566200_SargentEC200PSU2007.JPG.0adeedad9b337b9a461c5edd41cf8171.JPG

584551169_SargentEC200.JPG.329e36e43e17d18beac9e322366294e2.JPG

Thank you.

We also think the EC200 is without a built in Solar regulator.

You could go to the great expense of upgrading to a later model, but the Sargent built in Solar regulator isn't as good as the Votronic so we would suggest you don't go this route?

Yes using a Votronic MPPT duo at about £80, to charge both Habitation and Starter battery direct is our suggested route, it won't impact on that model of PSU.

If you are good at DIY, you should be able to pick up cables to both Starter and Habitation batteries inside the EC225, if you remove it from the wall and look inside it should be fairly clear what is what?. Suggest you fit you own connector taken to the outside of the box into which you plug the Votronic Solar reg with fuses to both cables.

A EC200 wiring schematic can be found at the bottom of the Sargent page.

Suggest you fit a Wattmeter as they are only £9 and aid enormously with diagnostics, especially this time of year when the currents involved will be low, see Solar pages.

Email if you get stuck.

Archived