Interesting day!!!!

Pete-B

I put a posting on the forum a few days back saying I'd got a diesel leak from the tank which I'd assumed was because I had overfilled. I filled up again after a short trip and made sure I stopped at the first click but again more fuel coming from the tank top.

I rang my local Fiat professional dealer who also does my servicing and asked them to have a look. He was sure it would be a loose pipe on top of the tank but, no problem there. So, he had to pump all the fuel out and drop the tank and that's when he found a hole in the top where diesel heater take off would go, if one was fitted. He said, it was a mouse that had chewed the plastic and on further investigation found two dead bodies in the air filter and they had chewed a lot of the filter before their demise so he had to replace that as well. He explained that's a favourite place for them during the winter and said, once they get in they have difficulty getting out again. He took photo's whilst doing the job to show me.

Anyhow total bill including filter and VAT was £313 which I guess is not too bad..

Need to use some good repellent under the bonnet and inside the van during the winter months!!!!

As posted many times, if you've had mice in the inlet then check right up to the air mass sensor, a lesson that cost me well over £1000 to learn.

p.s. I now have a grill over inlet and as we have three vans in the 'van shed' gf's sister baits and traps on an industrial scale.

I keep my Murvi in a friend’s agricultural shed here on Skye from November to April. Mice have long-since eaten most of the cheap soundproofing wadding under the fuel filter, but I was surprised to retrieve a deer hoof from the same area. Obviously stored there by a hungry Pine Marten.

I did once find a mouse in the motorbike air filter housing having eaten the paper filter.

Archived