When do I get the Cam Belt changed ?.

Zydeco Joe

Have had our 2005 Auto Trail Tracker for 5 years and done close on 50,000 miles in it. The Cam Belt was changed by the dealer just before we had the van. Is it due a new Cam Belt or could I wait till next spring. Am planning on a winter trip to Spain doing around 2500 miles. Am looking to change the van next year and this kind of complicates my thinking but would it be for the best ?.

Whilst it's unlikely the belt will break a couple of things to bear in mind.

Will it be playing on your mind that the belt will break.

Will having a 5+ yo belt devalue van.

Will you actually change the van next year, or will you be looking around at what's available and therefor maybe you might have the van longer than you think.

The on-line handook for a 2005 Ducato (I assume you have a paper copy) advises that - for vehicles with the 2.3litre motor (which I understand your Tracker has) the “timing belt and various control belts” should be replaced "every 240,000 km or every 60 months”. So, if there was a timing-belt change just before you bought the Tracker in August 2012, the belt is now overdue for replacement.

Sometimes timing-belts seem to be immortal: other times they snap well inside the advised time-period between replacements.

If the belt breaks during your Spanish trip or before you sell the motorhome, you’ll be kicking yourself for not having it replaced. If the belt does not break before you sell the motorhome, you will have saved some money.

The advice from Fiat seems clear enough - it’s up to you whether you ignore that advice and accept the risk of the belt breaking or get the belt replaced ASAP. If you are comfortable with taking the risk, you might be wise to at least have the present belt’s condition checked.

Do you know exactly what work was carried by the Dealer in changing the cambelt ? Was the work itemised on an invoice ? Was it carried out by the Dealer or a reputable garage ?

The cambelt change normally includes new belt tensioners and, I believe, a new water pump.

White van man does considerably greater mileages between cambelt changes. So, you'd probably be OK with your forthcoming trip to Spain.

But why take the risk for the sake of £300. Also, you'd be able to sell the van more easily, when the time comes, with a full up to date service history.

If you do have the cambelt changed, suggest you take it on a thorough test run before venturing on the

Spainish trip, just to make sure everything is functioning correctly.

The passage of time exposed to the atmosphere including any ozone has every bit as much effect on degrading the belt's structure as does mileage.

Coupled to this any weepage of oil that finds its way to contaminates the belt greatly accelerates its lost of structural integrity.

Not an area I personally would gamble with though I know many choose to. What does a rebuilt engine and change out cost?

Guest pelmetman
Zydeco Joe - 2017-11-10 1:01 PM

Have had our 2005 Auto Trail Tracker for 5 years and done close on 50,000 miles in it. The Cam Belt was changed by the dealer just before we had the van. Is it due a new Cam Belt or could I wait till next spring. Am planning on a winter trip to Spain doing around 2500 miles. Am looking to change the van next year and this kind of complicates my thinking but would it be for the best ?.

I've just paid £250 to change the belts on my 901 quid Toyota purely because its towing our caravan out to Spain ;-) .........as I know how much hassle I'd have trying to sort it out if it went en-route 8-) ....... not to mention the grief I'd get from my brother and SIL who will be driving it :D .......

pelmetman - 2017-11-10 5:49 PM

I've just paid £250 to change the belts on my 901 quid Toyota purely because its towing our caravan out to Spain ;-) .........as I know how much hassle I'd have trying to sort it out if it went en-route 8-) ....... not to mention the grief I'd get from my brother and SIL who will be driving it :D .......

You're joking! there's not two of you.

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-11-10 8:14 PM

There's actually 4 of us ;-) ........

Can't have too much of a good thing eh Marvin? :D ........

pelmetman - 2017-11-11 2:39 PM

I think I'll go and have a lie down in a dark room!

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2017-11-11 3:47 PM

pelmetman - 2017-11-11 2:39 PM

I think I'll go and have a lie down in a dark room!

It's not that bad ;-) .......one of them's a girl :D .......

Archived