Rust above windscreen

michaelmorris

Our 2003 Elddis Autoquest 200 is starting to develop a rust spot in a particularly awkward spot on a weld line just above the windscreen.(see photo).

My guess this is this going to be an absolute bugger to fix as I can see how one could sensibly get at it without taking out the windscreen and demounting at least part of the overcab bodywork and therefore is likely to be bloomin' expensive.

So here are my questions.

1 - Are my assumption about how expensive a permanent fix would be likely to be correct?

2 - Are there other measure (cheaper) I can to take arrest/stop the rust spreading?

Thanks

rps20171110_180339.jpg.5a605103692a269484265c432ff97d96.jpg

It doesn't look like a bonded screen, so have you tried peeling back the lip of the rubber surround to have a look what is under it?

I hesitate to point this out, but your van is about 14 years old, and many would regard a 14 year old SEVEL van with just that small area of rust near miraculous! :-)

It looks to me as though the paint on the sharp edge of the panel, and on the spot weld (?) adjacent, was originally thin (it runs away from edges), and all you need is a touch-in stick plus primer (preferably zinc rich), with its little preparation wire brush, a bit of fine emery paper, two coats of primer and at least two of finish. Rub the rusted area back to bright metal over as small an area as possible and, when satisfied that the rust has been removed, prime and paint as above.

Unless, of course, peeling back the windscreen rubber reveals worse rust. Even then, if the screen is set in a rubber surround it should come out quite easily, so that you can get at the whole area, treat the rust, prime and paint as above, and then get Autoglass or someone to come and re-fit the screen. You'll need to get the van under cover while working on it, but the rust doesn't look that bad from the picture, so I think you're probably worrying unnecessarily.

On a warm day take a suitable length of sticky tape. In the centre of the sticky side, drip a few drops of oil. Place the tape over the damaged area. The oil will seep upwards at an edge and should slow the rusting process. Repeat on further warm days.

Oil on rubber is not good so keep it minimal.

Archived