"Antar" lightweight gas bottles

Paul Morgan

On my last visit to France I kept seeing adverts for the Antar lightweight gas bottles. Due to pressure of time had no time to check these out.

Has anybody seen or heard of these?

If so what is the price of new and full, the price of refill and is it propane plus are they cheaper than the BP bottles?

regards

Paul "Worms" member

Antar appears to be a subdivision of Total Elf Fina.  I'd guess that the bottles will be available in France + colonies/ex colonies only.

I think I'd be a bit more inclined to pursue the lightweight BP gas bottles, since their stated objective for these is to roll them out across Europe.  How widespread they become will depend a bit on how protective other countries are of their "favourite" gas suppliers.  However, BP has service stations fairly widely in Europe so, if all the BP stations sell the gas, availability should become quite good.

If achieved, that widespread availability, with presumably a common connector and the ability to buy here and exchange there, seems just what we've been waiting for.

Brian Kirby - 2007-01-10 8:35 PM

Antar appears to be a subdivision of Total Elf Fina.  I'd guess that the bottles will be available in France + colonies/ex colonies only

Antar derives from the old "ELF" Company, (Elf Antar division), aquired by TOTAL and initially named TotalFinaElf, now "TOTAL"It appears the "Antar" trading name has been retained.Flicka

The bottles you refer to are called Calypso and hold 10kg of butane. they are targeted at the French domestic market. Information is at www.antargaz.fr It should be available at most supermarket outlets. I use Le cube as my swing unit for travelling in France and they too have a 10kg bottle called Viseo again only in butane which I may change to next time out. If you do a lot of time in France it's possibly worth getting a French bottle, certainly for me it's the answer to gas supplies as my U.K. bottle is only then used between exchanging Le Cube. Le Cube/ Viseo may be better as the availability of Le Cube at the moment is very good, most supermarkets and a lot of garages stock it.

Bill Ord

Archived