Portugal and Bay of Biscay

snowie

Has anybody any experience of Britannia Ferries “economy” crossings Portsmouth to Santander, in January. Are the ships less stable for example?

“Cruise” crossings take 6hrs approx less, and there is more choice in cabins, and crossing only costs an extra £55 approx. This is if we have read the details correctly.

The “economy” package has more basic catering options and we don’t mind vinyl on cabin floors rather than carpet. We are not really interested in pretending we are on a cruise.

Unfortunately, at the moment the shorter crossing and cabin choices seem to make “cruise” the better option.

We went “cruise” this February, and are considering “economy” for January 2018.

Regards

Alan b

snowie - 2017-11-13 12:10 PMHas anybody any experience of Britannia Ferries “economy” crossings Portsmouth to Santander, in January. Are the ships less stable for example?“Cruise” crossings take 6hrs approx less, and there is more choice in cabins, and crossing only costs an extra £55 approx. This is if we have read the details correctly.The “economy” package has more basic catering options and we don’t mind vinyl on cabin floors rather than carpet. We are not really interested in pretending we are on a cruise.Unfortunately, at the moment the shorter crossing and cabin choices seem to make “cruise” the better option.We went “cruise” this February, and are considering “economy” for January 2018.RegardsAlan b

We went "cruise" to Bilbao in September, with dog, and we won't be doing it again.  The cabin was very nice (we booked the top sort) but the kennel system was hard work for the dog and the ship wasn't really anything much more than a ferry.  Restaurant was OK, although the French attempt at a "full Anglais" breakfast was, well, French.  We spent the crossing time dozing and reading in our cabin, visiting the dog, taking her for some fresh air and hosing down after her.

If you can face the prospect of winter weather on the crossing, I would have thought the Economie version was survivable but we'll be driving down through France next year.

Thanks Stuart, as there’s are only 2 of us we reckon we can cope with the ferry, and yes it’ just that, which makes it seem pricy.

We don’t want a la carte on a ferry, but £50 for a tv in cabin for 24 hrs is ott.

Time saving in both directions makes sense for us.

Main issue is size and stability of the ship!

Enjoy your drive

Alan b

We did this crossing at the beginning of January, a couple of years ago, never again. Luckily we had a disabled cabin on the top deck and our motorhome was inside. They do hose adown all the vehicles on the open deck as a matter of course. The sea was so rough that even if you wanted to go to the cafeteria it was so bad you had to hold on to both handrails on either side of the passageways. My OH has never been ill on a ferry before but was on that one and we both spent the majority of the time on the bed feeling ill. Luckily we took a small kettle with us so that we didn't have to keep going for a drink and also took some sandwiches, which never got eaten because it was so bad.

I think you will find that the economy ferries do not have the same stability as the other craft. Would not want to travel on them in the winter !! They may be Ok in the summer months, but for winter crossing would go on the more stable ferries , which have been kept up to date, by Brittany Ferries

PJay

Not worth spoiling the start of your trip, for the small amount saved !!

PJay - 2017-11-13 6:39 PM

I think you will find that the economy ferries do not have the same stability as the other craft. Would not want to travel on them in the winter !! They may be Ok in the summer months, but for winter crossing would go on the more stable ferries , which have been kept up to date, by Brittany Ferries

PJay

That’ my thinking too, we had a couple of near millpond crossings in Feb and March on the “cruise” option. Don’t expect to be so lucky a second time, so I think we’ll stick to “cruise”

Cheers

Alan b

PJay - 2017-11-13 6:39 PM

PJay

That’ my thinking too, we had a couple of near millpond crossings in Feb and March on the “cruise” option. Don’t expect to be so lucky a second time, so I think we’ll stick to “cruise”

Cheers

Alan b

The Pont Aven is the biggest in the fleet and I think would cope best in bad weather. We were on it a couple of years ago travelling through a 'storm force 8' for most of the way. Although we'd have preferred calm, it was no real problem.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the much smaller economie in winter especially, even if it was £250 cheaper!

Went out on Pont Aven in Feb and came back on the smaller Cap Finistere and though both crossings were smooth the Cap Finistere was less comfortable.

Will definitely go out by ferry, but may consider driving back if weather looks good.

Regards

Alan b

Archived