I just have to tell someone.

Noody

I recently had a not-so-rare (these days) moment of being an idiot and Im desperate for anyone, just anyone, to admit the same mistake.

Im comfortable with self deprecation, if you aren't please send me a private message.

When I re-fitted my Cramer hob after having removed the fridge and put it back I tested the gas by lighting each ring but rather than turn them off I turned one into the low position rather than off and for the second time since I had this van the glass cover exploded.

Using the excuse that the marking have worn to some extent on the knobs is a pathetic excuse for me, how about it ? anyone up for admitting or is just me ?

On our van, when you close the glass lid (even a small amout) the gas cuts off But you do still need to let the cooker cool down. As we have a full cooker , maybe yours , not being a Uk van only has a hob? Therefore probably works differently .

Colin , I would make sure your GF always wears her specs!!

PJay

We've got a Cramer hob and the wife is always leaving pans on simmer after finishing cooking. It's a disaster waiting to happen, although the fire alarm might save the day !!!

Our knobs have nearly lost their markings, so guess it's time to get the tippex out 8-)

Thanks for the heads-up as a warning to others.

Thanks both, an yes, I'm aware that some hobs have a gas valve on the hinges. Are you saying just the residual heat from the hob burner even with the gas off will blow the lid up ?

Robby, I wasn't even cooking, just turned the flame on to get the air out. I save £150 doing the 12 volt fridge mod and now lost about £90.

Oh, yes, and thanks for an idea for an excuse of turning clockwise being alien. I can't claim this as an excuse and after having done it twice now I feel the need to go for treatment.

Maybe a birch broom beating and then salt in the wounds eh (Smile)

Never shattered a glass top but have turned the gas to low settings once or twice instead of off but always spotted it quickly.

I am not short of stupidity when it comes to motorhoming. It's something my wife and I share. Last occasion was last month in Grassington. We store the silicon draining board over the crockery to help suppress the rattles and it has to go somewhere. We notice that sometimes the drainer catches as we open the drawer but have always freed it. In Grassington, the drainer road over a spatula and without any warning, fell down the back of the drawer behind the oven. We couldn't reach the drainer so expected a big bill to remove the oven. We asked a local MCEA to remove the oven when he finished laughing at our misfortune. By removing the drawer runners, he found he could remove the backing of the cabinet and retrieve the drainer. Cost me £30.

Brock - 2017-11-13 11:48 AM

Never shattered a glass top but have turned the gas to low settings once or twice instead of off but always spotted it quickly.

There is the danger Brock, leaving the gas on low because on some burners a low gas is so low you might not notice.

Im fortunate that my working life skills lend themselves to me being able to fix most things in and around the van but I can't fix me being an idiot occasionally. I wasn't even drinking at the time, that could be a good excuse ?

I helped a neighbour out twice this year, he put diesel into his petrol lawnmower. Is this what happens during our autumn years or is it normal to be an idiot on occasions ?

I'll own up Noody. I did exactly the same thing on our Pilote. The explosion was unbelievable and we had Glass shards throughout the van, and where they landed on bits of carpet made from man made fibre they melted into the carpet. Being pragmatic I cleared all the glass away eventually and removed the hinges, which was all that remained. At least it won't happen again unless some silly sod replaces the glass cover.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2017-11-13 1:58 PM

I'll own up Noody. I did exactly the same thing on our Pilot.

Thank you.

The explosion was unbelievable and we had Glass shards throughout the van

Yes, I'm still vacuuming.

. At least it won't happen again unless some silly sod replaces the glass cover.

AGD

I had thought about not replacing the glass cover on the basis I might be an idiot again though I'm selling my van so it needs to be replaced. Also, in the case of our van the glass lid when closed gives that bit of extra work-surface we need when preparing food.

Thank you, it's a very good tip and I now wonder why I hadn't thought of it, I managed to get one for £50 plus £10 to deliver. Mostly they are £78 and £90 plus which is just another example of the Dometic rip-offs.

The fitting kit which is two specialy shaped dome-nuts with screws, for thin plastic washers and a rubber grommet. £20.

I've been thinking a lot about spares prices being so high, retailers won't stock parts if there is a small return though some manufacturers seem to accept the responsibility of providing a spares service at a reasonable cos.

I can't think of one at the moment and I'm trying to be positive during a very negative period after trying to source different spares for the Dometic fridge.

Dometic are part of Electrolux, dometic spares for fridges are still very expensive though leisure products go to the next level when it comes to rip-off costs.

I don't know if this applies to UK built motorhomes, spares for my Burstner are stupid prices. When the fog lights packed up because they melted because the design wasn't suited to halogen bulbs that create a lot of heat but they still want £50 each for a piece of poo design. I repaired the existing ones and fitted LED bulbs.

Just thinking about making a pattern for a glass replacement for the hob though I think singles are probably going to be close to the price most retailers are charging for the OE parts though if you had ten made it may be viable.

Guest pelmetman

Not done the cooker lid yet ;-) ........

But drove off to the dump point with the leccy still plugged in the other day 8-) .......

26 years of mohoing later and I'm still making newbie cock ups :$ ............

pelmetman - 2017-11-14 8:00 AM

Not done the cooker lid yet ;-) ........

But drove off to the dump point with the leccy still plugged in the other day 8-) .......

26 years of mohoing later and I'm still making newbie cock ups :$ ............

Rarely use EHU which means when we do I'm always worried I would do that, my answer is to drape spare cable over wing mirrors and across windscreen to give visual warning.

pelmetman - 2017-11-14 8:00 AM

(Smile) was anyone wat hing ? Some once told me that every motorhome will do this if they own a van long enough.

I had though about alternate lids, other than steel or an aluminium allow they all pose a fire risk. In the case of a metal lid it will warp so badly you'll have to replace that.

This is getting really funny and I appreciate you sharing because I often wonder about some of the clangers I drop.

The steadies still down OMG, that could make a right mess. I have steadies on my motorhome though often can't use them because even in the retracted position they are touching soft ground and I can't get pads under to stop them sinking in.

The mistake was made long before yours exploded! What idiot thought that a glass cover was a good idea?

We were always fearful that something heavy would fall on ours so kept a foam cover over it. But,of course the little flame that really wasn't apparent on a bright sunny day in Spain with such a small turn of the switch to keep it alight destroyed ours completely. Luckily we were sitting outside. It was not too difficult to get rid of the congealed mess but small pieces of safety glass kept appearing in the grill for another year or so..

Anyhow I made a new and safer cover. It is a composite of a layer of stainless steel and two layers of old style Formica, glued together with one of these modern glues. The edges are sealed with a "U" shaped aluminium trim.

Despite the improvement we are now even more careful that all flames are out.

And thanks to you Alan, I'm not sure of the details but at some point a valve at the hinge was included in the design so that the gas was cut when the lid closed.

Presumably no one has been injured by this explosion of small parts of glass, yes, I also had bits of glass turning up in places years after the first time I closed the lid on a low flame that wasn't visible as you point out.

Your mod sounds very professional, almost aerospace engineering.

Noody - 2017-11-14 6:06 PM

And thanks to you Alan, I'm not sure of the details but at some point a valve at the hinge was included in the design so that the gas was cut when the lid closed.

Presumably no one has been injured by this explosion of small parts of glass, yes, I also had bits of glass turning up in places years after the first time I closed the lid on a low flame that wasn't visible as you point out.

Your mod sounds very professional, almost aerospace engineering.

Maybe, but not something I'd like to fly in!

My wife did the same thing with the glass lid years ago. Fooled by the image of a ceramic hob at home, she actually tried to boil a kettle on top of the glass. She realised her mistake and raised it but, knowing that it's when the glass cools that it breaks, she was on tenterhooks for some time and, just as she was thinking that she had got away with it, BANG!

We were finding pieces of glass in odd corners for years after and now she is so paranoid that she raises the lid as soon as we stop, whether she's going to use the hob or not. Current MH has a cut off valve in the hinge.

Robert, what year is your van ? And I wonder if the valve was introduced to the lid hinge on the three burner with same shap as my hob ?

Also, you got me thinking again about the design failure in this, why didn't they have the lid made out of glass that can cope with the burner being left on I wonder ? Is this all,part of the poor design by design of the Electrolux company leisure stuff. Ok, the hob works fine but like in the case of the fridge it's periphery items that seem to be designed to become Cash-cows.

I don't enjoy being such a synic, a much younger friend often criticiises my cynicism, my response is that he just hasn't been shafted enough yet to be a real cynic rather than just a depressive type we occasionally come into contact with.

Archived