I just have to tell someone.

Noody

Guest pelmetman
thebishbus - 2017-11-14 10:04 AM

We were on the Aire at St Valery, I started to pull away with the steadies down, fortunately we were on gravel, no damage done. When the steadies are down now I leave the handle at the front by the pedals to remind me.

Brian B.

Done that to :$ ..........except I was on blocks and knackered the steady as I'd bent the screw bar, fortunately the site owner had a trolley jack and was able to jack the van up so we could unbolt the steady *-) .......

Some gas-hobs have a safety interlock that prevents a burner from operating when the hob’s lid is in its lowered position, but many (most?) gas-hobs do not.

There’s a letter on Page 130 of the December 2017 issue of MMM magazine warning about lowering the glass lid of a cooker’s ‘dual fuel’ hob (gas burners + a 230V hotplate) when the hotplate has not been turned off. There was a response from Thetford (who apparently made the cooker) but if you want to read this, buy the magazine.

I would have thought that Noody’s accident was far from rare and, over the years, I’ve read several times of motorcaravanners driving off with ‘steadies’ still down or still connected to a 230V hook-up. Those reports will have been from people who felt a need to confess and I’m sure there have been plenty of similar instances where people have kept shtum.

(I’ve done appalling vehicle-related things that were totally my own fault. Some of these were so embarassing and humiliating that I’ve never told anyone about them and never shall.)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-15 9:32 AM

There was a response from Thetford (who apparently made the cooker) but if you want to read this, buy the magazine.

I haven't bought MMM for years Derek, I don't know why I lost interest and as far as I know MMM isn't on my list of reasons I'm such a cynic.

I would have thought that Noody’s accident was far from rare and, over the years, I’ve read several times of motorcaravanners driving off with ‘steadies’ still down or still connected to a 230V hook-up. Those reports will have been from people who felt a need to confess and I’m sure there have been plenty of similar instances where people have kept shut.

Hmmmmm, I feel better now that I confessed, maybe others who confessed feel better too.

(I’ve done appalling vehicle-related things that were totally my own fault. Some of these were so embarassing and humiliating that I’ve never told anyone about them and never shall.)

Im going to confess to something I did that I found very embarrassing at the time and still find it embarrassing now as I share it. Because the handbrake on my van has always been poor even though it passed MOT each year I have a routine of putting the van into first gear as I pull the handbrake lever as hard as I can. On this occasion at Tebay services I was concentrating so much on replacing the wiper blades that weren't working very well and trying to figure where I had placed the spares in the van that this all interfered with my routine and maybe why us 70 plus folk need regular testing for our faculties being in-order.

I was parked on a slope and the van rolled backwards onto a trailer, very little damage done because I may have put the handbrake on but not enough. It was and has been since the horrible potential of that stupid mistake that concerns me.

I feel better now.

Im not surprised as your a man :-D >:-) but a tip whenever putting the glass lid down either at home or in the van I always run my hand across the top of the burners as not always having my specks on I cant see what the nobs are at! you will soon know if its lit. (lol)

Ah, go on, go on. We won't laugh. 8-)

maggyd - 2017-11-15 11:22 AM

Im not surprised as your a man :-D >:-) but a tip whenever putting the glass lid down either at home or in the van I always run my hand across the top of the burners as not always having my specks on I cant see what the nobs are at! you will soon know if its lit. (lol)

A simple but clever idea Maggyd, thank you, I'll always do that in future.

On the issue of being a man, let me tell you, I raised three daughters together with a wife, it was a matriarchy. They were never wrong and I was always wrong. This attitude drifted down through a generation and caused problems. I'm often embarrassed to be a man and I'm often happy I wasn't a woman. On the subject of being stupid I'm confident that neither sex has an advantage but when it comes to being assertive I have learnt that as the ladies get older they get more aggressive and with men it's the other way around.

I'm back in my cave, loin cloth on and club at the ready. (Smile)

I have a DYMO Letratag label printer and printed a warning ( ENSURE LID IS CLOSED BEFORE DRIVING OFF -- CHECK BURNERS ARE COLD BEFORE CLOSING LID) I fixed this warning to the underside of the glass lid so that is at eye level when glass lid is open. You could also print this on a computer and laminate it, then stick in on the underside of the glass lid.

Phil

Another good idea and thank you. I have one of these printers and have already started printing labels for reminders to remove the flue cover or replace it and the 12 volts manual switch for the fridge. I will now print a label on the underside leading edge of the glass top to remind me.

2 from me;

Reversed the van over our camping chairs which I'd left flat under it. Amazingly, we're still using them;

Chunnel this year, chap wanted to see gas bottle was turned off. That involves taking off the bikes and the rack, as the queue was growing he agreed to check there was no gas coming to the hob. So he put his nose to a ring, I pressed and twisted the knob, but for some reason, force of habit maybe, I also pushed the igniter. Luckily I HAD turned it off at the bottle, otherwise I dread to think.

Driving off procedure is now to ask other half if we're ready to go. Not foolproof but at least blame can be shared.

Guest pelmetman

Go on ;-) ..........We wont laugh .....much :D ......

Currently in Peniscola, yesterday a British chap on his own said he had a problem with his electrics.....

So went over to have a look......he had his 2 pin continental adaptor on his hook up lead and he'd plugged it into the 3 pin blue socket on the bollard 8-) ..........

He also had a Smart car on a A frame :-S ........

I suppose I have a list of things I could cough up to like leaving the fridge door unlocked, cutlery drawer unlocked, the vertical sliding drawer that houses all the tins and jars makes a massive clunk when it slides out on a bend in the road and could easily pull itself from the drawer runners.

I often leave the electric step out and have traveled a few miles with top light open though I once saw a van traveling with his TV arial still extended.

When the fridge door spilled open once my dog just managed to reach a few nice treats on the floor and I couldn't stop.

The fridge door centre is now fixed and I put a pin into the alternate hinge brackets as extra security but we can "only take the horse to water".

Just spotted this topic, this happened to Jim,, a good mate, (promise it wasn't me).

He's got motorhome and a Transit van he uses the van for work and as a run-about when his wife's got the car. Anyhow he went out to the van Sunday morning and noticed he had a flat on the rear near side and no spare and he had to go and look at a job that morning. So, he went by bike and rang his brother to ask if he would take the wheel off and get the puncture repaired as he had to pick his daughter up from her friends later and his wife was taking the car to go and see her mother.

He was a late back from doing his estimate for the job so threw his bike in the shed in a panic, jumped in the Tranny and reversed back - BANG CRASH WALLOP - it had still been on an axle stand. Turned out his brother had taken the wheel off, got it repaired, but decided to stop off and see a mate of his on the way back.

One said, "why did you stop on the way back, you knew I had to go out", his brother said, "only an idiot would drive off without checking first". They're still not talking and I guess it didn't help when I burst out laughing when Jim told me.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Difficult to see how someone could get in his van without noticing one side was jacked, sounds like something I would do.

My van stood jacked for a week while I waited for ABS rings coming from France, I had a fleeting thought at the time about the damage if she jumped in to move the van for parking of our other cars.

Fortunately the missing wheel was nearside and in full view. I was nervous.

IMG_1227.jpg.cf0ad46ff87d00cc998b75efa0754906.jpg

Archived