Habitation Checks

michele

What's this all about ?

Can anyone tell me do you get it done free of charge or do you have to pay. Our van is due it's first service now do I ask them to do it . better still does it need one after 1 year . Or do we take it back to brownhills and if so do they charge us ?

Hi Michele

Sorry, but it's going to cost.

The habitation check is basically a Service of all the "caravan" parts. fridge, Heating, Cooker, Gas system, Leisure batteries as examples.

It is usually a condition of the warranty.

Ours' isn't due till late 2007 so I can't advise cost.

It would be worth a PM to Dave Newell, he recently completed his "Gas" training to enable him to do full habitation checks. I'm sure he will be able to elaborate on the requirements.

I think he will be more reasonable than the main dealers, cost wise.

You should be able to find some info in the Vehicle Handbooks, if you have a week to spare for reading.

Flicka

Cheers ,

Dave can you help Do I need one in the first place its not letting in water only apart from the roof where they put the ariel through for the pace box .

Which managed to be repaired although after soaking the clothes and blowing the pace box . No damage really .

Brownhills . but when it went back they got on the roof with a hose and siad WHAT LEAK WE CAN'T FIND ONE . I suppose that was after he sealed it with gunk though . It's never done it again it's all working fine now and from the day they done the repair to the roof that WAS NOT LEAKING .

Maybe hubby took a pee in the wardrobe high up near the roof ?

Yes that me .

No sorry was me

I do my own. I want it done properly. It's mostly common sense anyway. Look at this way, when did you last have one done on your house and how many boats have these checks, I'll tell you, very few as there is a test certificate to be passed every five years anyway. Just loadsa money for the dealers in my view. But I'm a very practical person anyway, it might be different for D.I.Y dunces though.

Before people ask the time I,m up tired with the little one who is fitting badly.

Peter my husband is of the opinion that we will do it ourselfs.

This annoys me as he works a full day we have 4 kids to look after to disabled. Why should we yes I trust him more we are running out of energy fast . But it's a brand new unit or was, only 1 year old now .

So annoying that was not the only thing wrong with it a long list .

In the end you just have not the energy for the fight .

Looking after kids like this you battle everyday for equiptment and stuff.

In the end you just feel like lying down and giving in ?

Oh well.

:-( unfortunatly its like flicka says its a condition of your warranty. warranty last 2 years on my MH so at end of first year i had to get a habitation check done in case anything went wrong so it would be covered by guarentee, wont be getting done though this time as warranty is up. cost about £100!! easy money or what, for equipment that in real terms isnt used that much in comparisson with domestic equipment *-)

michele - 2007-01-10 10:50 PM

Cheers ,

Dave can you help Do I need one in the first place its not letting in water only apart from the roof where they put the ariel through for the pace box .

Which managed to be repaired although after soaking the clothes and blowing the pace box . No damage really .

Hi Michele, look at your warranty documents. You will almost certainly find that the warranty on the habitation components is dependent on you having a Hab check done. I'm not sure on the legal issues but I think you are not legally required to have it done by the supplying dealer as long as it is done by a reputable business.

The hab check will include a full damp test, a full check of all electrical systems, 12 and 240 Volt. A gas tightness (pressure drop leak test) test and all gas appliances should be tested for correct and safe operation. Ventilation will be checked to ensure it complies with the relevant regulations. Body to chassis connection should be examined as should body to cab joints. All seams and joints in the bodywork should be inspected for condition and signs of deterioration.

Tyres and road lights should also be checked and reported on.

This is a brief run down of the C&G syllabus for motorcaravan habitation check/service. I'm reckoning on about 3 hours to do this job completely and I will be carrying out a flue gas analysis on boilers/space heaters.

D.

Take a look at

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/annualcheck.shtml

Another M/home site that is well worth browsing, if you do not know of its existence.

IMHopinion the habitation check is one of those services where you have no idea if it is been done properly and have anything to show at the end of it.

I purchased privately a Rapido which had been regularly checked by B*****ills. Only to find on my first pass over the important things the Leisure battery swallowed one and a half litres of distilled water !

Hard to belived that it had gassed that much in 4 weeks !

Rgds

Hi Michele- It is correct what Dave as said, my van had its first habitation check over last May, and cost aprox £80 + v.a.t. I had to wait while it was completed( I had no way of a lift home) and it was in the workshop over 2hrs. It is part of my warranty to have it done and the book duly stamped and will cover the van from the dreaded damp for 6yrs providing it is checked each year. The check is performed by the dealer who as full workshop facilities and I feel it is good value for the upkeep of the warranty. Now the servicing will be done by a main agent ( Peugeot) and that is when I will start really paying. chas

So the answer is "It all depends"

I got my check done at Pullingers in Halstead (£75) who are very good but they are agents for Pilote so it's OK. There have been a lot of stories about Brownhills, some of which may even be true >:-( When I had a Hymer it had to be done by the official UK importer (Yes Brownhills) but I guess other makes are different.

The important thing is to make sure your warranty is kept valid.

michele - 2007-01-11 1:51 AM Before people ask the time I,m up tired with the little one who is fitting badly. Peter my husband is of the opinion that we will do it ourselfs. This annoys me as he works a full day we have 4 kids to look after to disabled. Why should we yes I trust him more we are running out of energy fast . But it's a brand new unit or was, only 1 year old now . So annoying that was not the only thing wrong with it a long list . In the end you just have not the energy for the fight . Looking after kids like this you battle everyday for equiptment and stuff. In the end you just feel like lying down and giving in ? Oh well.

Michele

There are generally three facets to servicing requirements.

1 The vehicle.  This must be serviced by approved service centres to maintain the warranty, and the vehicle service record must be completed, including any corrosion check records.  Hove a look at the base vehicle service and warranty documents.

2 The habitation check.  This involves testing the on board 230V electrical system (though probably not the 12V systems - you have to ask about the scope of the service) with a meter, and the gas system for leaks.  These are the main safety risk areas.  Some hab checks include testing fridge oparation on all energies, some do not, some automatically service and clean the fridge gas jet, some do not.  Truma Combis are, so far as I know, not service items.  I do not know if any hab checks include the water system, but believe that none do.  Some, but not all, include a damp check.

3 Damp (water ingress) check.  Our Burstner has a six year warranty against leakage.  An annual inspection (damp meter tast) must be done by a Burstner dealer, the warranty book is stamped accordingly, and, if the stamps are not present the warranty is void.  A habitation check is recommended after two years, but is not a warranty issue since after two years all the equipment warranties have expired anyhow.

The only answer for you, after all that, is to sit down with the base vehicle (Fiat?) and Bessacar warranty booklets, and read all they have to say, including all the fine print, and all the printing done in invisible ink!  Pay especial attention to the time limits within which things have to be done, and to any requirements as to who has to do them.

Michele

Firstly check your warranty VERY carefully - on the last one we had with Brownhills we had to have the habitation check done by them and only them. We could take it elsewhere for the base vehicle check but not the habitation.

As for the cost of the habitation by Brownhills - last time I was quoted £220 inc VAT!!!!!

Make sure you get it done though because if you don't and you have any problems would would normally be covered by warranty, the manufacturer could quite easily tell you to s*d off as you haven't complied and you could end up with a very hefty repair bill for something you could've got done under warranty for nothing. Never mind the safety aspect of having a habitation check carried out.

Brian, a proper habitation inspection, done to the NCC guidelines and to meet the criteria layed down in the C&G motorcaravan service engineer examination includes:

Chassis: checking for corrosion, security of fittings and corner steadies (where fitted).

body to chassis fixings, body to cab joint.

Tyres, condition and age.

Road lighting and reflectors.

External lighting inspection for water ingress.

12 volt function test of all circuits. Continuity test of fridge 12 volt circuit.

Inspection of any DIY additions for safe installation.

240 volt system check to include visual inspection of input plug, hookup lead, all wiring that is accessible. Function of RCD device. Earth continuity to vehicle chassis and 240V outlet sockets. function of all 240 volt circuits.

Pressure drop leak test on gas system. Age of regulator and function test. Age and condition examination of gas hoses (replace if required).

Visual inspection of all gas appliances for secure installation. check of gas drop vents. Truma 3000 series fires should have the front cover removed and the heat exchanger cleaned and inspected.

Flue connection to room heater inspect for integrity. flue termination check for integrity. function test of all gas appliances to include FFDs.

Damp test involving checking with a suitable meter reading in percentage of moisture content in multiple locations as layed out by NCC and report.

Visual inspection of all external body joints for integrity. Check on security of external fittings i.e. ladderss and storage boxes.

Check of all door seals for integrity. Check and lubricate door locks.

Check integrity of wall and floor structures and examine for delamination.

This is not a comprehensive list, there is more but these are the main points that should be checked and a test report should be completed and handed to the customer. On top of that lot I shall be carrying out flue gas analysis checks and the results printed out for the customers records.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-01-11 9:10 PM Brian, a proper habitation inspection, done to the NCC guidelines and to meet the criteria layed down in the C&G motorcaravan service engineer examination includes: Chassis: checking for corrosion, security of fittings and corner steadies (where fitted). body to chassis fixings, body to cab joint. Tyres, condition and age. Road lighting and reflectors. External lighting inspection for water ingress. 12 volt function test of all circuits. Continuity test of fridge 12 volt circuit. Inspection of any DIY additions for safe installation. 240 volt system check to include visual inspection of input plug, hookup lead, all wiring that is accessible. Function of RCD device. Earth continuity to vehicle chassis and 240V outlet sockets. function of all 240 volt circuits. Pressure drop leak test on gas system. Age of regulator and function test. Age and condition examination of gas hoses (replace if required). Visual inspection of all gas appliances for secure installation. check of gas drop vents. Truma 3000 series fires should have the front cover removed and the heat exchanger cleaned and inspected. Flue connection to room heater inspect for integrity. flue termination check for integrity. function test of all gas appliances to include FFDs. Damp test involving checking with a suitable meter reading in percentage of moisture content in multiple locations as layed out by NCC and report. Visual inspection of all external body joints for integrity. Check on security of external fittings i.e. ladderss and storage boxes. Check of all door seals for integrity. Check and lubricate door locks. Check integrity of wall and floor structures and examine for delamination. This is not a comprehensive list, there is more but these are the main points that should be checked and a test report should be completed and handed to the customer. On top of that lot I shall be carrying out flue gas analysis checks and the results printed out for the customers records. D.

Dave

Thanks: that is an excellent and impressively thorough list.  I have seen references to much less comprehensive checks having been carried out, in the name of habitation checks, I'd guess at low prices.

As always, check what you are getting before you say yes to the man with the smile! 

The key issue, surely, is to be sure the habitation inspection will be to the full NCC standard, and to remember that to cover that lot you're paying for a lot of skill and knowledge - so it won't be done for £10 per hour.

I doubt the legality of many of the above comments regarding habitation checks, as it implies an unreasonable contract. As long as it is done by a "Competent" person I would have thought that would suffice. At one time all car manufacturers tied their customers in to having the vehicle serviced by a main dealer in order maintain the warranty. This practice has been overturned by the European Union as being unfair. You may now take your vehicle to any V.A.T registered garage to have servicing done, as long as genuine manufacturers parts are used. The upshot of this is that servicing costs have miraculously tumbled to reasonable levels for some manufacturers. Sadly Fiat do not appear to be one of them going by their prices.

Hi Peter, in general I would agree with you. I'm not sure where the VAT registration comes into it though. I'm also not sure if the same applies to habitation inspections. One very big problem with this is that many people have difficulty getting warranty issues sorted without the complication of third party servicing.

The problem with legalities is you have to challenge them (the dealer) which kind of goes against the main ethos of owning a motorhome, i.e. taking it easy and having as stress free life as possible.

D.

Hi Michelle.

We also bought off Brownhills, our van was 18 mths old when we purchased it, its now 4 years old in April.

You should have a read of your van Service Handbook warranty paper work.

Ours states ; In order to comply with the warranty, you must have your motorhome inspected and serviced by an authorised Swift Group Service Centre at least once per year.

It is important that the owner`s handbook is stamped on the oppropriate page by the Swift Group Service Centre.

Failure to do this will invalidate the warranty and the tranfer of the warranty on the change of ownership.

I can assure you as living in South Wales i was not going all the way back to Newark to have the Habitation checked

We have ours done with our local Swift Service Centre, an approved caravan workshop, and we get the book stamped.

They also did our previous vans which were never new enough to have warranties, but i am a stickler and always got the vans serviced before Easter every year.

I know Brownhills are very expensive for this, try ringing for a quote.

Got my receipt here from last year 14/03/2006 £103.13 their actual labour charge was £85.

Dread to think what Brownhills charge, have a shop around and get it done within your year of purchase, so your book is stamped.

Dave Newell - 2007-01-11 10:21 PM

Hi Peter, in general I would agree with you. I'm not sure where the VAT registration comes into it though. I'm also not sure if the same applies to habitation inspections. One very big problem with this is that many people have difficulty getting warranty issues sorted without the complication of third party servicing.

The problem with legalities is you have to challenge them (the dealer) which kind of goes against the main ethos of owning a motorhome, i.e. taking it easy and having as stress free life as possible.

D.

Dave. The V.A.T bit comes in as it indicates a Bona Fide operator supposedly. I would challenge if it saved me a lot cash.

One of our local caravan and motorhome dealers charges £65.00 per hour for labour. Thats absolutely outrageous. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on their board. Are they are preying on the fears of the mechanically ignorant?. What a scandalous state of affairs.

Archived