Bio fuel update

flicka

Weeks ago there was a thred from Dave Newell regarding Bio Ethanol.

I stated that current availability is grades E10 & E85, being 10% or 15% Bio Ethanol.

I have just read an article where SAAB are developing an engine for a new (2 seater ?) sports model to run solely on Bio Ethanol.

Another article says that the 2007 British Touring Car Championship will be using Bio Enthanol fuel only. The article I read did not distinguish any "grade".

It would look promising that a truely "Green" fuel will be available.

With apologies to Dave for previously contradicting him.

Flicka

a bio fuel is already available from tesco (their 99ron is 5% bioethanol). The tesco 99 is also used for the British Rally Championship as the standard fuel for the cars. I use it or even 95ron 5% from my local independent garage.

the BARC has had a team of racing cars running over the past year on bioethanol with no problems whatsoever.

Greenenergy (haven't time just now to find the website) supply most of the bioethanol fuel in the UK and there is a 20p per litre price difference between it and ordinary fuel (although transport costs from Brazil eat into the cost savings).

Edit: oops forgot to say bio diesel is also available in increasing quantities (again greenenergy manufactures it). And of course, one can run older diesels on cooking oil - not recommended on a common rail engine though!

flicka - 2007-01-10 11:14 PM

Weeks ago there was a thred from Dave Newell regarding Bio Ethanol.

I stated that current availability is grades E10 & E85, being 10% or 15% Bio Ethanol.

I have just read an article where SAAB are developing an engine for a new (2 seater ?) sports model to run solely on Bio Ethanol.

Another article says that the 2007 British Touring Car Championship will be using Bio Enthanol fuel only. The article I read did not distinguish any "grade".

It would look promising that a truely "Green" fuel will be available.

With apologies to Dave for previously contradicting him.

Flicka

Hi Flicka, no need to apologise. Its good to have alternative views put forward as this is often what makes us question what we're told by the powers that be.

D.

Archived