Diesel scrappage, or change engine to petrol

tonyg3nwl

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2017-11-23 1:05 PM

pelmetman - 2017-11-23 9:38 AM

colin - 2017-11-23 9:16 AM

pelmetman - 2017-11-23 8:48 AM

Speaking from experience ;-) .........

Anything that has a computer ie ECU will be seriously complicated 8-) .......

But for those who have Mk 5 Transits and earlier then the change to petrol is pretty straight forward ;-) ........

Although not without its pitfalls 8-) ........

If I were to do it again then I'd have the donor engine professionally rebuilt to a "As new" condition, and replace all the ancillaries B-) .......

Still contemplating a V6 for old Horace :D .......

Funny enough fitting the latest Ecoboost engine to Horace would be fairly straight forward, although a bit expensive. With up to 647bhp on tap for the production engine might have to strap the body down a bit better. :D

Remember I'm a Luddite.......so if its got a computer (spit) I ain't interested 8-) .......

I do like the Essex V6 though B-) .......Plenty of torque & poke :D ......

The thing I still remember of our old works V6 tranny, is it being slow, noisy, and consuming large quantities of petrol. We've still got the box body, IIRC rest went to Africa. Mind you it was still better than the Citroen H van we had.

Prolly had the wrong dif in it........because there was nothing slow about my Fanny at the lights :D .......

For the sake of my licence I changed the dif to a different ratio, which mean't less wheel spins at the lights, and the engine was no longer doing 115 mph at 70 (lol) .........

I agree with the fuel consumption when driven fast though 8-) ........

Fortunately the AA brought her home most nights, so actual cost to me wasn't much different to when she was a diesel :D ......

Archiesgrandad - 2017-11-23 3:48 PM

To Pelmetman, if your really fancy a transplant think Rover V8, even better than the Ford.

With regard to the fuel of the future, this has been under consideration by motor manufacturers for decades, since Ralph Nader and his campaign. Back in the 70s, which is when I left the motor industry, the thought was that the future would probably not be electric because no-one could foresee the technology for batteries that can be charged quickly and then be run flat and charged quickly again. I'm not an expert but I suspect modern batteries still cannot do that. Before the catalytic converter manufacturers were looking at a new generation of motors, which were basically ultra high compression petrol engines that could produce high power outputs with good fuel consumption and low emissions, but they were over-ruled by the powers that be and the vested interests, ably supported by the loonies at Greenpeace. Only now are manufacturers building these super petrol engines, and you find them in a number of small cars, as an example the current Skoda Fabia with the 1200cc petrol engine has 140 bhp with good torque and diesel engine fuel economy.

More likely will be a move to petrol/electric power. The most fuel efficient and clean running engine is a fixed speed petrol engine optimised to run at constant speed, and if that were coupled to a generator to charge a reasonable bank of batteries, then current technology would give us a vehicle with minimal polution and exceptional fuel economy, that would be able to underatke the type of journeys that we currently can without frequent fuel stops or re-charging sessions.

AGD

Great post. You are right on the money there.

I drove a smallish van 8 years ago that had a 1000cc petrol engine, a bunch of batteries and a couple of motors at the rear end. The engine only served to top up the batteries and the air con. The propulsion was via the batteries and the motors. The weight saved by not having a gearbox was about the same as the weight of the motors so the payload was only reduced by the weight of the batteries. The fuel tank was filled with 60 litres of unleaded and the van drove for 1100 miles before running out.

The cost of such a vehicle will certainly be higher than a conventional Diesel but at over 80mpg in the real world; it won't take long to pay that back.

Fiat already have all of the technology that they need and a 1.4 engine would be more than enough for a 'range extender' Ducato. I hope that they see the light soon and provide van users and motorhome owners with something that really could be used in the way that we are accustomed to rather than believing that we can exist with vehicles that are tethered to the grid for most of the day. I genuinely believe that such a vehicle is less than 3 years away.

If the established manufacturers don't pull their fingers out very soon there will be new offerings from the far east that will dominate this new market. Many of them have already set up shop developing their offerings in the UK! There is a Chinese firm that is operating in the UK already that can offer a retro fit all electric package to a European 7.5T truck.

The old model X2/40 Boxer used a Peugeot 2.0 ltr petrol engine up to around 2001 (I think), and possibly that would fit into an X2/50 Boxer engine bay without too many problems?

I believe that 2.0 ltr petrol engine also had lpg conversion kits available and using petrol from the diesel tank or lpg for the engine from a switchable underbody autogas tank that also supplied gas to the living area might be workable?

As a means of propulsion it was about 5 mpg short of the 2.4 diesel of it's era but quieter and much more more civilised. Probably not as civilised as the modern 2.2 or 2.3 diesel, but nothing like as complex and computer dominated as these modern units have 'progressed' to.

I suspect you would need a healthy bank balance and infinite patience to overcome all the engineering issues!

Guest pelmetman
aandncaravan - 2017-11-23 7:22 PM

Pelmetman, may I suggest you think about your slogan, "Vote Labour and crash the economy......" because after tonight's news, I think you might need to change "Labour" to "Conservative"?

What news would that be? :-S ........

We're not allowed access to the Labour BBC spin machine in Spain ;-) ........

......and I haven't noticed the sainted Theresa planning for the economy to crash, unlike Labour if they won an election >:-) .......

Archived