motorhome covers

mark lambert

Hello everyone!

I have read the section on covers in hints and tips but i would like more info, I park my van on the road outside the house as i have no drive or garage, i would like to be able to protect the van from the elements, is there a cover that wont damage the van??? I have looked at we-do covers and breath-tec and both say they will not damage the van, are they telling the truth or just trying to sell the product. Any help would be apreciated

many thanks

choppa

Hi mark, how will you show your tax disk, with a cover on your van.

not quite the same but, i have just paid £500 for a product called paint seal to be applied, it is a teflon coating, which susposedly makes the dirt easy to wash off and protects the paint from ultra vilot rays from degrading the paint work, also they treat your upholstry with teflon to make it stain resistaint.

now wether or not it works only time will tell.

pete

Hi Pete, A cover I made myself was only really intended to keep dust off the van inside my factory, so the tax disc isn't an issue for me. However, as long as you can see the reg plate, the plod know whether it's taxed, mot'd and insured,

As long as there are no trees etc where you park yours, I would have thought a wash down on a regular basis would keep it nice and shiny.

I must admit I've never looked at any protection waxes or the like, so let us all know how they perform.

As with any cover, keep it tight and protect your windows, good luck in what you decide, sorry I cant help any more than that.

Mark,

I use a protec cover,this is it's third winter,it has never damaged the van,the breathable material has a soft lining. they also send you a large piece of spare material for repairs,which i have used,the sharp bits of the van,bike rack,rear bumper etc., wear holes in the cover.a quick spray with carpet adhesive,cut a patch and it's fixed. mine is just off the road. but i can't see any problem (if it's Taxed).put the tax disc in a sealed clear plastic bag (up out of ' idle-hands' reach). :-)

Thanks guys

I have thought of the wax but am not only worried about weather and the such, but also vandals who seem to like damaging nice things . I'm not going to allow them to stop me having a nice van so a cover may be my only option for a LITTLE peace of mind. I have also thought of the tax problem but didn't think of the number plate in view! yes, just by seeing the plate, the police would then know its taxed,excellent. I have looked at pro-tec which sounds like the other 2 i mentioned earlier, so all i need now is to find which one is the best value.

many thanks

choppa

I would have thought that a cover would not be the solution to your problems, if you are thinking that vandals would damage your MH then with a cover there is even more chance. Have you not thought about using a secure storage area. We did this whilst we had a caravan in the UK and the facilities were excellent and the cost was about £400 per year and the main benefit was peace of mind. We used to bring the caravan home to pack it up for weeks away but for just a weekend we would just throw a few things like clothes into the car. Our motorhome is equipped the same as the caravan in that we don't have to bring anything except food and clothes and drink (of course), living near the Bordeaux wine region there is plenty of that.

We have a Protec cover and it is exceelent. As well as being breathable, the material's underside is a soft finish fabric which does not damage the paintwork as the cover (inevitably) moves in the wind.

Protec will make one up specifically for your vehicle, inserting a velcro'd door panel to give access where you want. They will also insert (some extra charge) a 'windowe' panel so that, for example, a solar panel still works, a number plate is visible and a tax disc can be seen.

They are also a lot less expensive than the coating. Avoid cheap covers like that sold by Fiamma which is basically just a plastic tarp sheet and which will, over time, remove the surface gloss from the paintwork.

Go for it!

Hi Mark- In my opinon not showing your tax disk on a public road is still an offence. The number plate of cause can be check with the right equipment, and the adverage policeman could find out from the N.P.C but why should he, I think he would just put a ticket on the vehicle, that would most certainly be done by a traffic warden if there is one patroling your area. I think the safest way would be to enquire at your local police station. I suppose one way round the problem if I am right would be to obtain some clear flexible plastic sheet big enough to be glued in over the area of the disk, by cutting the cover and glueing from the inside. chas

i think iv'e been a little naive, why would a bobby take the time to check up on my number, :$ . how stupid am i!, i know the law states that my tax disc must be on view at all times,duh. Storage is a solution but up to now the cheapest has been £30 per week, a tad expensive.will keep looking. i think pro-tec may be the solution, thanks for the help.

Ps: if your still in france randonneur i hope the weather is better over there than it is here(severe rain and heavy winds) i'm looking forward to my retirement (only 35yrs to go) so i can tour full time. Am i wishing my life away?

many thanks

choppa

Ref the tax disc,

By law you have to display a valid disc, however, nowhere does it say it must be visible (a contradiction in itself). If that was the case, over zealous traffic wardens and cops could (in theory) book every car with an iced up windscreen.

Personally I dont think you would have a problem, the plod doesn't need NPRS to check (that is only fitted in their cars and vans) he can and will do it by radio. And they are not permitted to interfere with your vehicle (i.e lift the cover to check)

As already stated, if you are concerned about damage, then storage would be the answer. Do you work on an estate ? its worth asking factory owners if they have a corner of a warehouse you could rent.

I would also recommend the Pro-Tec covers. As has already been said they will fit clear see through panels at appropriate places. Whilst they are great for stopping the elements from making your life a hassle, I am not sure that it will help you against vandalism, what were you expecting it to stop? It certainly won't give much protection against badly riden bicycles, footballs or determined vandals, it will just probably give them something else to cut with their knives or screwdrivers whilst they drag it into your paintwork for fun!! :-( :-( :-(

Sorry to be realistic it's probably not what you want to hear.

Bas

Hi Mark.

Dont know your wherabouts in Wales, we use a secure registered site for insurance storage.

Paid last year £235 CCTV covered accessible Dawn / Dusk.

Been there quite a few years now. its in the Swansea area, not sure if it is any good to you.

I personally would not leave a new van on the road.

Well the weather has been better but I must admit that its raining today. We have lived here for 6 years and we don't get that many bad days although over Christmas we had 5 days of whiteout with frost.

Hope you get sorted out with your cover. Another thought would be to ask your loval motorhome dealer if they know of any secure storage in your area.

regards from the rainy Charente

Randonneur - 2007-01-12 9:43 AM

Well the weather has been better but I must admit that its raining today. We have lived here for 6 years and we don't get that many bad days although over Christmas we had 5 days of whiteout with frost.

Hope you get sorted out with your cover. Another thought would be to ask your loval motorhome dealer if they know of any secure storage in your area.

regards from the rainy Charente

Take care and thank you

choppa

euroanchor - 2007-01-11 11:28 AM

As long as there are no trees etc where you park yours, I would have thought a wash down on a regular basis would keep it nice and shiny.

I must admit I've never looked at any protection waxes or the like, so let us all know how they perform.

the reason we went down the wax road is because i am disabled enough that i can't climb ladders or use an extending brush and keep my balance, so putting a large cover over the van, wouldnt be possible without help.

in 30 years of owning a motorhome, we only had one case of vandalisim, some idiot wrote on the van with a marker pen. (elbow grease and wd 40 removed it)

we use the van most of the year, so a cover would be a pain in the **** to keep taking it off.

pete

breakaleg - 2007-01-12 12:25 PM

euroanchor - 2007-01-11 11:28 AM

the reason we went down the wax road is because i am disabled enough that i can't climb ladders or use an extending brush and keep my balance, so putting a large cover over the van, wouldnt be possible without help.

in 30 years of owning a motorhome, we only had one case of vandalisim, some idiot wrote on the van with a marker pen. (elbow grease and wd 40 removed it)

we use the van most of the year, so a cover would be a pain in the **** to keep taking it off.

pete

it was the marker pen and keeping the road dirt off the van i was thinking about as i live on quite a busy road, i realise a cover wouldn't stop a prat who just wanted to damage the van . ive had previous vans parked on th road without a problem,up untill now! its just that iv'e never owned a new van before, perhaps i'm over thinking things. I think you are probably right,it would be a pain in the aris having to take it off and back on all the time. Hey you never know perhaps the so called vandal would stand back and just admire the van!!!!Perhaps that last statement needs to be in the joke section

cheers

choppa

I have also been thinking about a cover for our van, but are they up to scratch in a windy area? that is, do they damage the van with the excess rubbing or would there be rapid wear and tear to the material, or 'am I the only one who lives in a wind tunnel.

Now you know why I don't have a comb-over for the old baldy pate.

OORGIZ.

oorgiz - 2007-01-12 7:31 PM

I have also been thinking about a cover for our van, but are they up to scratch in a windy area? that is, do they damage the van with the excess rubbing or would there be rapid wear and tear to the material, or 'am I the only one who lives in a wind tunnel.

Now you know why I don't have a comb-over for the old baldy pate.

OORGIZ.

It doesn't get much windier than here on the coast at Fishguard 220 metres above sea level, the protec cover has 'stayed put' and not damaged the Van (GRP bodied Autosleeper coachbuilt) over the last 2 winters,and not so far this year,it keeps the salt spray off the cab as well.

I always put on a coat of Teflon (for boats) polish unbuffed .before i put it 'to bed' . works for us.The cover has been repaired twice for excess wear over sharp areas ie bike rack,bumper,wing mirrors(now folded in)

the repair is very easy,spray with carpet adhesive and make patch to fit

job done.

Hi euroanchor!

I think you'll find that, in law, displaying a tax disk implies visibility. The icing argument does not, unfortunately, hold water since, in lawm, you are still displaying it. Cover it up with a tarp and you are no longer displaying it.

Amongst other things, the disk has to be displayed so PC Plod can check that the reg no shown on the disk is the same as that on the number plates.

====

Mel E

By the sounds of it up north well south of watford your policemen don't seem to have serious crime to fight .

What a shame that they don't make the van's in Dark or green or whatever color so that people and disabled peep's can keep it looking alot cleaner. We to have that trouble and after a lot of bad weather and where we live by the trees' it is covered in muck . The muck is hard enough to get off but the black steaks it leaves is worse.

Here where we live they must have more important things to do as for walking around checking tax disc's it would have to be one orrible cop that would do that to you . If they see a cover they can easily check on the PNC.

If they done that it would be a spitefully horrible person they could find something better to do . However you are all correct in stating that if the vechicle is on the public highway or the queens it has to have a valid taxdisc on display \ Having said that you can photo copy it and leave stuck to the outside of your cover in wsome sort of plastic protection thing with a note to say Dear Mr Plod Taxed ...Check you PNC .. More likely to be lovely Rita meter maid.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

;-)

Mel E - 2007-01-14 5:36 PM

Hi euroanchor!

Amongst other things, the disk has to be displayed so PC Plod can check that the reg no shown on the disk is the same as that on the number plates.

====

Mel E

In the old days maybe.

All vehicles details are now on a national database, this means that the police do not even have to stop a vehicle to find out if the vehicle has insurance, tax or mot. That is why you can now tax your vehicle online,just by quoting the ref number on your mot certificate or V5.

NPRS systems work by scanning the numberplate and running a comparison on the database, if the vehicle for example is not on the insurance or mot database, an alert will be displayed and you will be stopped. This is why fewer people are being given producers, the police already know the information before they stop you.

I did say "in theory" about the iced up windscreen, because regardless of the fact that you couldn't see the tax disc, it was still displayed.

Hi euroanchor,

Whilst I agree with you in principle, it is still an offence for you not to display a tax disc on the vehicle to which it relates, having it covered up constitutes not displayed. My nieghbour would testify to that, he got a fixed penalty ticket for that offence due to using one of those windscreen covers on his car to stop the frost!

Bas

Archived