Vermin problems

Pete-B

Hi All,

My van is kept in secure open Cassoa storage during the winter months which is fine and the owner does try his best to provide vermin control. But I've still had a problem where mice have caused damage in the engine bay so I'm thinking of adding to his efforts and putting some bait out as well under the van, to which, he's agreed is fine.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good professional type bait box for using outside and the bait to go with it. The last time I spoke to the owner he told me he has to alternate between red and blue bait (whatever that is) because they pests get use to it. I can't ask him now because he's away at the moment

Thanks for any help..

Pete ... You're inviting all the neighbourhood mice to cause more damage by adding bait. How they will love you.

Buy a dozen simple wooden based traps and tie them down with string so they won't get lost where ever you find a suitable surface. Also inside the van ... everywhere ! Take home anything chewable like cushions and soft furnishings

In the engine bay paint diesel oil or grease on likely attractions

You might also talk to the local rat catcher

PS unfortunately shops cannot sell the real poisonous stuff. I've never found a better trap than the old fashioned simple ones. Try peanut butter as bait and mix cotton thread with it looped under the platform. And I've never found any posh ones any good at all.

I agree about using mouse traps rather than bait - if the mice eat the bait they crawl somewhere to die and it might still be inside your MH, and boy do they stink when the carcase starts rotting!

Peanut butter works well as bait but I find chocolate covered raisins best for mice, they are easy to stick on to the bait pins on the traps and easier than peanut butter to remove or replace too.

No reason why you can't place a few traps under the bonnet as well as inside the MH.

Whilst I too would favour "traditional" traps over bait, the problem the OP has is that the van is in storage, so emptying and resetting them, *possibly every day, may not be easy...

* when we had a spate of mouse "visits" in our previous van, it wasn't unusual to "catch" 2-3 mice a day, (using the "old" wooden traps).

The traps that were set outside the vehicle, by the wheels, were placed in lidded marg' tubs with a 1/2" hole in the one end, so as not to harm birds..

I've read before now that tumble dryer sheets can act as a repellent?..I've no idea how true that is, but if it's right, identifying "why" they work, and/or the "chemical" responsible, may add something to the armoury ?

There is a lot of mis-information surrounding pest control much of it based on outdated information. The law has changed alot in recent years with the Wildlife & Countryside Act and COSHH. 

Have a look on the site link below for info on bait boxes you can legally use outside. ( It is illegal to use bait outside if not in a tamper resistant box which also must only allow the target species to get at the bait. Similarly it is illegal to use traps outside unless they are in a box. (Otherwise you will risk trapping Blackbirds, Dunnock,  Robins & other "undergrowth " birds. The baits available to the public are now exactly the same as baits available to professional pest controllers. IF you use a live - so called- humane trap, by law you should inspect it x2 per day. 
It ain't easy to control them.

We had rats (not mice) in our garden ( open land behind us) We tried using poison, and did work a bit, BUt we had more come later , fortunately only one at a time, We called the council ,and they sent the "rat catcher " around. The stuff he used , apparently it contained Warfarin !! And believe me it did work

i think if it is a big problem , you do need to call the big boys out. You may have noticed , out side some of the large super markets , they have cylindrical green container traps about , well they do down here, as a lot are built on reclaimed land .

Our van is kept at a large site, and as there are foxes about, can't say I have seen signs of vermin.Just POO.

PJay

Hi Pete,

You say your van is kept on a proper storage site, so I assume there are other vans there,How many? The reason I ask is that if you have the problem I wouldn't be surprised if other owners on site do, so I would canvass opinion as to whether or not a small contribution from each owner would make the employing of a professional to deal with the problem. Who knows but it may be in the site owners interest to chip in as well.

good luck

derek

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, much appreciated. I've now set two traps under the van, two under the bonnet and two inside the van. I've also ordered a bait box and bait off flea bay to put underneath as well and I'm also able to check the results a couple of times a week so will see what transpires.

We use a similar trap to these, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Big-Cheese-Ultra-Power-Mouse-Traps-Twin-Pack/131979267628?epid=2255473522&hash=item1eba93ce2c:g:1W0AAOSwx2dYC-WO

Ours are black, I suspect any trigger type will be just as effective, they are very easy to set and very sensitive.

Just remember if placing under or close to van to cover them to prevent birds getting caught in them.

Use the big cheese ones in my garage. So far this autumn caught 17 of them but really slowed down now, maybe one every two days. When I first put them down, they were almnost setting them off before I'd set the other traps, think I got five in one day using three traps around the garage. Position your traps close to walls or somewhere similar, the mice don't like being in the open and will always run round the skirting by choice.

As for bait, never tried peanut butter, can't stand the stuff so wouldn't use it, best I've found is white toblerone or the grandkids white milky buttons, the mice just love white chocolate. IMHO of course

Archived