Auto-Trail Grand Frontier

eddie a

I had a look at the Grand Frontier at Brownhills, Newark and was appaled at the fit of the work surface around the sink etc. it was lifting from its base and could be pushed in with one finger. In one way I was not surprised as the Cheyenne 635 I had had lots of silly little quality issues which I fixed myself but I was surprised to see this as I would have thought that Autotrail would be making a big effort to get it right in their first foray into the integral class. Swift had a very short time in the market with their Belair, I wonder why? I hope that Autotrail can get it right as I'd love to buy an A clas with a British layout and particularly a decent kitchen but since buying a Rapido 924F I realised motorhomes can be built with a fair degree of quality and reliability.

Bill Ord

No direct stories Eddie but Bill raises a very good question "Why can't we build A Class vans in the UK?" You don't have to go back as far as the Belaire either because a couple of years ago Autosleeper came out with their over priced offering which didn't even receive favourable comments in the normally supportive press. This particular van was based on a well established (or should that be dated?) shell made in Italy and all Autosleeper had to do was design and install a UK style interior -supposedly their forte - but they made a complete horlicks of it.

I've not viewed the Grand Frontier because it immediately ruled itself out by not offering a 6 metre body and given this UK history I'd be concerned about having to live with even more horrific depreciation.

Sorry to say it, but if you've set your heart on an A Class go abroad.

Vernon

Yes Vernon,totaly agree thats why i ordered the Rapido,would have been delighted to buy a UK made unit and the layout of the Auto-Trail Frontier i thought was great,so did many other people as orders were being written by the second.It will be intresting to hear what happens in the comming months when the 'vans are delivered,who knows they may just start to get it right,but for that kind of money could not take the chance!

Eddie

Archived