garage weight limits

mark lambert

I am ordering a new burstner t695g on the weekend, my question is : how much weight can you put in the garage,iv'e been told, upto 200kg, i have read all the specs but it doesn't say how much actual weight i can put in there without overloading. Iv'e read about the pendulum effect over the axle but am to dull to work it out.

many thanks

choppa

Its difficult to work out as it depends on how much you put in rest of van and how much load the empty van puts on rear axle, but looking at photo's as a rough figure a load of 200kg will put about 275kg on back axle. Lookin at layout I think all your payload will go over back axle.

Don't order until you find out!  There are two potential problems.

1 The actual load in the garage, i.e. on its floor.  That is probably the 200Kg limit, as it seems fairly widespread at around that value.

2 The load on the back axle with the vehicle at its MIRO, compared to the maximum permissible back axle load.  That will give you a kind of unofficial back axle payload.  This is far more likely to be a limiting factor.  If you contact Burstner UK (phone mumber in most of the mag Burstner adverts), they should be able to get the figures for you, but will probably have to ask Germany.

I don't know your proposed model, but I'd be rather suspicious of any "garage" model with a 3,500 Kg maximum load limit.  I would suggest you check very carefully before you buy, whether it will do what you want it to do.  Changing vans to fix mistakes is an expensive hobby!

We are looking (in the future) at something capable of taking two small motorbikes and some tentage, tools etc. Some new vans on the 6 Tonne RWD Iveco chassis look most likely contenders but anything on 3500 or 3850 chassis stands little chance of having sufficient rear payload.

C.

Brian Kirby - 2007-01-12 9:27 PM

Don't order until you find out!  There are two potential problems.

1 The actual load in the garage, i.e. on its floor.  That is probably the 200Kg limit, as it seems fairly widespread at around that value.

2 The load on the back axle with the vehicle at its MIRO, compared to the maximum permissible back axle load.  That will give you a kind of unofficial back axle payload.  This is far more likely to be a limiting factor.  If you contact Burstner UK (phone mumber in most of the mag Burstner adverts), they should be able to get the figures for you, but will probably have to ask Germany.

I don't know your proposed model, but I'd be rather suspicious of any "garage" model with a 3,500 Kg maximum load limit.  I would suggest you check very carefully before you buy, whether it will do what you want it to do.  Changing vans to fix mistakes is an expensive hobby!

Thanks for that brian, I was going to put a smallish motorbike in the back that weighs about 120kg, ive also worked out all the other stuff i will take which will take it upto the 200kg, ive also allowed for the water tank which is 120ltr full, i never fill this while travelling and probably only leave about 5-10ltrs for a cuppa on the way, this gives me about an extra 80-90kg, ive also taken my wifes weight into account(i cant tell you that,she'd kill me!) the bike will be bought to fit the weight so to speak.I check the weight of things going in the van by stepping on the scales on my own, then stepping on with the goods to be loaded and measuring the diferencethanks for the helpchoppa

I made a similar suggestion when some was thinking of putting a scooter and rack on the back on the van.

Load your van to go, a trip to the local weigh bridge and get a couple of buddies ( or one if (s)he is heavy enough ;-) to sit in the garage and see what effects on the weigh bridge readings.

Scooter weight does not stop at 120 Kgs, extra fuel, clothing, foot pump tools and little extras all add up.

If the steering gets a little light as the fuel tank empties, you know there maybe something not quite right ;-)

Rgds

mark lambert - 2007-01-13 9:09 AM  Thanks for that brian, I was going to put a smallish motorbike in the back that weighs about 120kg, ive also worked out all the other stuff i will take which will take it upto the 200kg, ive also allowed for the water tank which is 120ltr full, i never fill this while travelling and probably only leave about 5-10ltrs for a cuppa on the way, this gives me about an extra 80-90kg, ive also taken my wifes weight into account(i cant tell you that,she'd kill me!) the bike will be bought to fit the weight so to speak. I check the weight of things going in the van by stepping on the scales on my own, then stepping on with the goods to be loaded and measuring the diference thanks for the help choppa

Mark

You say you are ordering new. 

I can only find a Delfin t695g listed on Burstner's website.  If this is the one, it is Renault Master based with a MTPLM of 3,500 and a MIRO of 3,040 in UK and 3,100 in Europe! 

Can't explain why the UK version should be lighter, they normally add ovens for UK so I'd expect the MIRO for UK to be heavier! 

However, the point is that the payload is only listed as 460Kg for UK (which for reasons steted I suspect is wrong), or 400Kg for Europe.  There is a substantial rear overhang so your 120Kg scooter, plus other gear to 200Kg, will load your rear axle by well above 200Kg. 

As you only have 400Kg reliably to play with, you will be left with only 200Kg for all the rest of your kit.  Even with your fresh water tank empty (add perhaps 120Kg), you'll still be down to 320Kg for extras such as a bike rack, awning, clothes, bedding, maps and guides, food, drinks and other clutter. 

I still think you'll overcook the back axle, and most probably the whole MTPLM into the bargain.  I think you are skating on very thin ice with this 'van, if you haven't already cracked it!  It might just work if you leave the scooter at home, but even then the payload looks very thin unless you're just weekending - and if you are, that's a big 'van!  Personally, I don't think this van has an adequate payload for your proposed use.

Mark,

If you send me your email address in a PM, I'll email you a copy of my axle weight load calculator which should clear up the problem once and for all - provided you can get ACTUAL axle weights from Burstner or your dealer for the empty van (or the van with a defined load, such as driver and fuel).

The calculator was published in a series of MMM articles I did a couple of years back. I uased it myself when designing my new motorhome to check the weights (Total and individual axle) as I designed it.

==============

colin - 2007-01-14 6:04 PM Personaly I would look at the heavy version with an all up wieght of 4000kg and a payload of 930kg, the max rear axle load I believe to be 400kg higher but don't take my word for it check with Burstner.

Colin

If it's the van I think it is, it is on a Renault and, so far as I know, there is no "heavy" version.

Brian Kirby - 2007-01-14 6:56 PM
colin - 2007-01-14 6:04 PM Personaly I would look at the heavy version with an all up wieght of 4000kg and a payload of 930kg, the max rear axle load I believe to be 400kg higher but don't take my word for it check with Burstner.

Colin

If it's the van I think it is, it is on a Renault and, so far as I know, there is no "heavy" version.

Hello peeps.The van is listed in the burstner book as a star t695g or solano, its on the 3.0ltr fiat. You can buy a heavy chassis ,looks like i'll be buying a heavycheerschoppa

colin - 2007-01-14 7:16 PM

Hopefully this will be readable

Edit to say, Brian I can't get scan to attach I will try a pm

Sorry can't find attachment button on pm but I see choppa has answered anyway

Me again

Burstner books only show last years van listed as a star .

this years van is solano 695g on a fiat 3.0ltr. payload for light is 520kg, garage can hold 200kg. payload for heavy on fiat is 980kg,

cheers

choppa

mark lambert - 2007-01-14 9:45 PM

colin - 2007-01-14 7:16 PM

Hopefully this will be readable

Edit to say, Brian I can't get scan to attach I will try a pm

Sorry can't find attachment button on pm but I see choppa has answered anyway

Me again

Burstner books only show last years van listed as a star .

this years van is solano 695g on a fiat 3.0ltr. payload for light is 520kg, garage can hold 200kg. payload for heavy on fiat is 980kg,

cheers

choppa

i've just got all the weights that will be going in the van,incl passenger,water ,extra gas,clothes, food,tools etc etc, it all adds upto 281.13kg, so that leaves me just over 200kg, a 400cc motorbibe weighs 147kg, but i will be getting one that weighs just over 100kg, so that leaves about 100kg under, on the light chassis payload of 520kg.

thanks all for your help, i wont go on about this anymore, i will just decide which one to get

choppa

colin - 2007-01-14 7:16 PM Hopefully this will be readable Edit to say, Brian I can't get scan to attach I will try a pm Sorry can't find attachment button on pm but I see choppa has answered anyway
Me again Burstner books only show last years van listed as a star . this years van is solano 695g on a fiat 3.0ltr. payload for light is 520kg, garage can hold 200kg. payload for heavy on fiat is 980kg, cheers choppa

Mark

If you haven't already, have a look at my "is your payload adequate" post.  I was surprised how much we took.  Don't forget your load will vary according to the trips you make.  If you want to send me a p.m. I'll send you a list of all our clutter, with weights.  Won't be the same as yours, but might include a few things you "subsequently rely on in court"! 

If your license will take it, I'd still say go for the heavy version.  It will reflect in re-sale value as well.  That payload is somewhat borderline, and if there are two otherwise identical vans for sale, the "heavy" one is likely to get the most customers, and hence a better trade in. 

Also remember you can always get it plated down if you need to, which is far simpler than getting an inadequate MTPLM plated up!

Brian Kirby - 2007-01-15 12:40 PM
colin - 2007-01-14 7:16 PM Hopefully this will be readable Edit to say, Brian I can't get scan to attach I will try a pm Sorry can't find attachment button on pm but I see choppa has answered anyway
Me again Burstner books only show last years van listed as a star . this years van is solano 695g on a fiat 3.0ltr. payload for light is 520kg, garage can hold 200kg. payload for heavy on fiat is 980kg, cheers choppa

Mark

If you haven't already, have a look at my "is your payload adequate" post.  I was surprised how much we took.  Don't forget your load will vary according to the trips you make.  If you want to send me a p.m. I'll send you a list of all our clutter, with weights.  Won't be the same as yours, but might include a few things you "subsequently rely on in court"! 

If your license will take it, I'd still say go for the heavy version.  It will reflect in re-sale value as well.  That payload is somewhat borderline, and if there are two otherwise identical vans for sale, the "heavy" one is likely to get the most customers, and hence a better trade in. 

Also remember you can always get it plated down if you need to, which is far simpler than getting an inadequate MTPLM plated up!

hello BrianI just thought i would let you all know that i thought i new best and ordered the light chass, but,but, I have now realised that all you long term vanners know best and i have just changed the order to a heavy chass.I would agree re-sale would be better with a heavy, i was just trying to save a bit of cash and realised in the end that the £800 or so it would cost, is worth trying to find, to put my mind at rest.PS: i'm going down to the dordoigne this summer so if anyone wants me to take there motorbike down for them, i will have enough spare weight!!!cheers everyone for all your inputchoppa

Mark

Whats a PM?

Mark

Mark

Go to the "Welcome" box top right of your screen.  Click on "inbox" then on send new or whatever it is, then enter my name as it appears on screen (Brian Kirby) and you can send me a private mail with your own home e-mail address in it.  I can then e-mail you the list if you want it, it is in an Excel spreadsheet.  If you don't have Excel I can probably get it into something you do have, if you let me know what.  However, note that the message doesn't go like an e-mail.  When you "send" it becomes visible to the intended recipient in their "inbox".  However, it will just sit in your outbox until the recipient actually opens it on their own computer, so dont worry if nothing sems to happen at first.  It may be a day later before it is opened, when it will go from your "outbox" to your "sent items".

Hope that is clear!

Archived