Mid Life Refit

StuartO

Our Hymer B674 is now 11 years old and we have looked at replacing it at least a couple of times in recent years – but never found anything we liked better. We came close because of course designs improve and the modern ones are, well more modern.  

Hymer still make what is basically the same layout (single beds at the back) and they have saved space for a bigger fridge by putting the wardrobe under the beds.  But some things don’t seem as good – for example they quote payload assuming you won’t carry much water – so one way and another we have always decided to stick with what we’ve got.  We maintain our MH scrupulously so we feel we should be able to trust it, even though we do most of our touring abroad.  We use Aires more than Sites.

Over the past couple of years I have given the MH what I call a mid-life refit, so extra maintenance like waxoyling underneath (again) and replacing accessories which had become obsolescent like our TVs.  I tried to take a fresh look at the MH, to see it as if I was a new owner; what would I want to change or add?  I was getting older so what needed doing to make life easier for me?  We had a tried and tested system for stowing things in the various lockers but could that be improved, to help with weight distribution as well as convenience of access.  I was going to keep the MH for the foreseeable future so if something needed doing or spending on, I would do it.

So there’s quite a list of things we’ve done:

•    A major spring clean, of course.

•    Repair window blind (re-string the mechanism. Fiddly but do-able)

•    Start carrying hand-held Dyson D16 with 12v charger

•    Major engine/chassis service (inc 2nd cam belt change* and new brake pads)

•    Replacement stainless steel exhaust, complete.  

•    Replace both front wheel bearings*

•    Re-waxoyl the metalwork underneath

•    New, 21” 12v TVs (with DVD players and built-in Freeview) wall mounted

•    Replaced satellite receivers (hidden) with new, magic eye remotes

•    LED conversion to most internal lights

•    Add 12v twin usb socket for convenient phone and Kindle charging,  front and rear

•    Convert former TV locker for  storage use

•    Add voltage surge protection to Electroblok supply

•    Updated Truma gas regulator/auto selector to a crash-shut-off type

•    Add remote (in cab) gas isolation switch as an extra safeguard

•    Replace Weber Q200 bbq with a smaller Q1200 (can still roast a whole chicken!)

•    Remove and clean roof light between plastic skins and grease winding mechanisms

•    Replace SOG filter (first time in 11 years, not smelling even yet!)

•    Unload front bed linen and ladder (never used, we store the jigsaw board up there!)

•    Repair faulty solar panels (only needed new diodes)

•    Replace solar panel regulator (with a more efficient one)

•    Replace water pump (carry the old well-used one as spare)

•    Replace shower spray head (rubber nipples failing, uneven spray)

•    Replace outside locker door holdback.

Things we’d already added/done and are worth keeping:

•    Carry a Remoska (pan-sized mains cooker, does all sorts, used mostly for jacket potatoes)

•    Under-bed lockers 3’x1’x1’ (taking space from garage) for pans, vegetables etc

•    Heated towel rail (mains only) on wall space at foot of single bed

•    Extra 12v sockets front and rear for charging phones, accessories, bedside fans etc

•    Robust floor-mounted mini safe hidden under passenger seat (money, passports)

•    Flimsier mini safe, unused but stays as decoy, in view

•    Tow bar(worth keeping even though we no longer take a towed car)

•    Roof air con is reliable but used v infrequently (heavy too, maybe wouldn’t buy again)

•    Omnistor wind-out awning used sometimes but not indispensable (heavy)

•    Windjammer side screens for awning (extended sunscreen is handy, side not used)

Things which didn’t need doing:

•    Toilet cassette seals still working well (I do carry a spare seal and spare cassette)

•    Schaudt Electroblok still faultless (because I carry a spare?)

•    Hymer plumbing, electrics and components have generally been good and reliable

•    Flyscreens still working (just about, ideally they need new netting)

Things we’ve tried and taken out:

•    Microwave/combination oven (hardly ever used)

•    Lightweight mains oven/grill (hardly ever used)

•    Honda LPG-powered generator (never used since solar panels)

•    Various 12v or rechargeable bedside fans (we use battery powered, much better)

*There is story behind replacement of cam belt and wheel bearings:  we broke down in France en route home recently and had to get the cam belt and one of the wheel bearings replaced again.  French Fiat Dealership was wonderful and good value. Britannia Rescue also wonderful.  Back home we spoke to the local garages who had replaced the cam belt and the wheel bearings.  One was wonderful and offered a refund straight away, the other was unsympathetic, stern-faced, defensive and denied responsibility, even though the French Garage had found the cam belt tensioners reassembled incorrectly, causing the premature failure.  Guess which garage I’m still using!

Similar here , have looked round zillions of vans and still prefer our layout (is there a MH out there that would double the size of our kitchen and moves the bathroom to the rear ????? ) We are going to refresh the interior in the next couple of years , upholstery and carpets and i quite fancy a total respray in a funky colour . Will LED throughout ( replacing halogens ) and am tempted with a levelling system .

Whatever we choose it wont cost us £60K to £90K !

Good luck with your wish list !

Hi Stuart,

Our IH Tio R PVC also dates from 2006, and we have similar opinions to you, so I have perused your list with some interest.

One notable exception in your list of replaced items is the starter battery. If your mileage is over 50K, I would also reccommend that you consider replacing the alternator brushes.

Our timing belt is planned for its second replacement early next year.

I am thinking about eventually replacing all brake pads and linings, when necessary to maintain reliability.

I carried a spare Thetford seal in my first MH for 15 years and never needed it.

The water pump has been considered, but our water filling system utilises a 10 litre container on which the original tap has been replaced by a flexible spout. We carry the original tap for use in case of pump failure.

Soon after purchase, I added extra 12V sockets. The total count is now 7 if you include one dedicated to the TV and exclude those in the cab. However we currently use plug in 5V regulators for USB charged phones etc. The cab 12V socket supplies have been altered so as to allow sensible use when the ignition is OFF.

Interior lighting is now all LED, with some extra lights added.

Extra 240V sockets, and a dedicated fold down shelf for the electric kettle have also been added.

We currently carry a microwave, but as we do not of habit use EHU it is only used occasionaly.

Our Omnistor wind out awning is rarely used, but I am thinking of using it as a rain shield for the sliding door.

A recent addition has been a CTEK D250S (B2B charger) which is engineered around the CBE DS520 12V distribution board. As the D250S output is only 20A it is unlikely to cook the habitation batteries.

Another addition is an audible warning for the step, which only sounds when the engine is started. This latter unit complements the original LED (converted to flashing) whch illuminates when the ignition key is turned. The step wiring has been altered so that the step does not retract until the engine is started.

Alan

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2017-12-05 1:53 PM

Our Hymer B674 is now 11 years old and we have looked at replacing it at least a couple of times in recent years – but never found anything we liked better. We came close because of course designs improve and the modern ones are, well more modern.  

Improve? 8-) ..........

BTW....More modern means twendy wendy complicated tosh (lol) ......

If it ain't broke ......keep it B-) .........

Stuart

Like you we have 2006 van. As you say the aircon (roof) is heavy, and seldom used. We took our aircon off, and replaced with a heiki window.Gives us a small roof light to open at night, which is not over the beds we use.Sold the Aircon on e-bay Got a VERY good price for it!!

If we decide to keep van longer, may go for an upholstery replacement, as ours has faded in the Spainish sun! Not worn though.

PJay

Alanb - 2017-12-06 11:00 AM....One notable exception in your list of replaced items is the starter battery..... If your mileage is over 50K, I would also reccommend that you consider replacing the alternator brushes. 

I forgot to include the starter battery (replaced at seven years following a sudden cell failure) and of the twin Exide G80 leisure batteries replaced at ten years (still working after a fashion) with Varta LFD90s.

Good point about the alternator brushes, I'll look into that.

StuartO - 2017-12-05 1:53 PM

Designs improved? different perhaps but when we were looking at another Rapido we failed to see many, and space wise it was more limited.

Then by chance at a big show we spotted an ancient M/H ... only to discover there was almost twice the free space inside.

Perhaps a trend could be started by selling the shell with a choice of infilling furniture. Now there's an idea !

• 5 weeks later...

I bumped this thread to report an unlucky sequence to my efforts to give my MH a new lease of reliable life because when I started up to move the MH to the tap to fill up on the morning of Christmas Eve, as I started to reverse out of the parking area there was a terrible grinding noise from the off side front wheel area.  When I checked the ride height was two inches down on that side and the coil spring on that side of the suspensio had obvously broken.

The MH hadn't moved for a few weeks and it was driving normally as I parked it so how could the coil spring have gone while parked up?  I vaguely recall an unexplained loud bang from that side of the house a few days previously, so perhaps that was the spring breaking?

Rapid change of plans as we switched to using the car to travel to our son's for Christmas because clearly there was nothing to be done getting it fixed until after Christmas at the earliest.  At least it happened before we set off, otherwise it would have been a frustrating recovery situation enroute.

I did a bit of research (including asking for advice on this Forum) over Christmas to decide whether to just get the one spring replaced with a standard Fiat spring or bite the bullet and fit a pair of heavier duty springs.  The MH is currently with a repairer to have a pair of VB coil springs fitted, my breakdown service having taken it there for me.  I have been given a price of £682 inc VAT  for two "heavy" VB springs fitted, which seems very reasonable to me.  Fitting those would be a sensible ehancement anyway since the MH runs more or less at maximum loaded weight all the time.

I don't think there's much left that could theoretically need refurbishment or replacement to complete a thorough half life refit except perhaps the clutch.  I've overloaded that three or four times, usually when reversing out of trouble, but it has smelled and smoked but never shown signs of slipping.  Done 50,000 miles now, so is the clutch bound to need replacement before long?

I don't think it makes sense to replace a seemingly serviceable clutch as a preventative measure so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Glad to hear you've made satisfactory progress in finding a company to replace the front springs at a reasonable cost. I assume they didn't recommend replacing the whole strut?

The X244 clutch would seem pretty bullet proof when compared to the clutch on the X250. The 3 litre X250 dual mass flywheel and clutch appear to made of papier-mache and has the slave cylinder contained in the bellhousing. I guess the X244 has a solid flywheel so should be far more reliable and robust in the long-term.

You'll soon know when the clutch needs replacing, so cross that hurdle when it occurs. Sometimes, I still wish I had my Hymer based on the Fiat X244 but have to admit I do like the power of the X250 power plant, but definitely not the clutch. After only 30K miles of careful driving, I'm expecting the flywheel and clutch will soon need replacing.

Robbo - 2018-01-07 11:07 AMGlad to hear you've made satisfactory progress in finding a company to replace the front springs at a reasonable cost. I assume they didn't recommend replacing the whole strut?.....

They are going to look at the dampers once they have the struts out and I have told them to replace the struts if there is an doubt about their serviceability.

Thanks for yor encouraging remarks about the robustness of the X244 clutch; I'll sleep more easily!  Incidentally I had my 2.8JTD engine chipped early on and it's been relaibly powerful ever since.  I do get it serviced annually.

The idea of selling an empty shell is not a new idea.

I am a bit vague as to details but,if I remember correctly in the 1960- 1970 era, a company advertising in the mags would sell you a fibreglass caravan shell which you could then fit out as you wanted.

Any others remember this? I seem to think the word " Shell" was used as the name for it.

As regards motorhomes, are you not on the way to doing this when you purchase a van to fit out yourself.

I have often wondered why van makers don't widen all vans just behind the driver, the delivery companies would get a larger payload and the motorhomer would be well on the way to finishing their pride and joy.

Is there a legal limit to the size van that can be built?

Hi Stuart
We've had our current Hymer Starline 700g from new in 2007
We've looked at many vans over the years and have never seen anything to match our requirements 
It is the last if the "bar version" models. Great space as you walk into the van.
Has a open plan feel.
So like you we've added a few extras
Solar panels,  oyster dish, upgraded twin leisure batteries.
All on a MB frame,twin rear wheels and bed over the garage. 
Don't think we will ever change it.  
May just go for a refurb of the furniture covers

StuartO - 2017-12-05 1:53 PMOur Hymer B674 is now 11 years old and we have looked at replacing it at least a couple of times in recent years – but never found anything we liked better. We came close because of course designs improve and the modern ones are, well more modern.  

Hymer still make what is basically the same layout (single beds at the back) and they have saved space for a bigger fridge by putting the wardrobe under the beds.  But some things don’t seem as good – for example they quote payload assuming you won’t carry much water – so one way and another we have always decided to stick with what we’ve got.  We maintain our MH scrupulously so we feel we should be able to trust it, even though we do most of our touring abroad.  We use Aires more than Sites.

Over the past couple of years I have given the MH what I call a mid-life refit, so extra maintenance like waxoyling underneath (again) and replacing accessories which had become obsolescent like our TVs.  I tried to take a fresh look at the MH, to see it as if I was a new owner; what would I want to change or add?  I was getting older so what needed doing to make life easier for me?  We had a tried and tested system for stowing things in the various lockers but could that be improved, to help with weight distribution as well as convenience of access.  I was going to keep the MH for the foreseeable future so if something needed doing or spending on, I would do it.

So there’s quite a list of things we’ve done:

•    A major spring clean, of course.

•    Repair window blind (re-string the mechanism. Fiddly but do-able)

•    Start carrying hand-held Dyson D16 with 12v charger

•    Major engine/chassis service (inc 2nd cam belt change* and new brake pads)

•    Replacement stainless steel exhaust, complete.  

•    Replace both front wheel bearings*

•    Re-waxoyl the metalwork underneath

•    New, 21” 12v TVs (with DVD players and built-in Freeview) wall mounted

•    Replaced satellite receivers (hidden) with new, magic eye remotes

•    LED conversion to most internal lights

•    Add 12v twin usb socket for convenient phone and Kindle charging,  front and rear

•    Convert former TV locker for  storage use

•    Add voltage surge protection to Electroblok supply

•    Updated Truma gas regulator/auto selector to a crash-shut-off type

•    Add remote (in cab) gas isolation switch as an extra safeguard

•    Replace Weber Q200 bbq with a smaller Q1200 (can still roast a whole chicken!)

•    Remove and clean roof light between plastic skins and grease winding mechanisms

•    Replace SOG filter (first time in 11 years, not smelling even yet!)

•    Unload front bed linen and ladder (never used, we store the jigsaw board up there!)

•    Repair faulty solar panels (only needed new diodes)

•    Replace solar panel regulator (with a more efficient one)

•    Replace water pump (carry the old well-used one as spare)

•    Replace shower spray head (rubber nipples failing, uneven spray)

•    Replace outside locker door holdback.

Things we’d already added/done and are worth keeping:

•    Carry a Remoska (pan-sized mains cooker, does all sorts, used mostly for jacket potatoes)

•    Under-bed lockers 3’x1’x1’ (taking space from garage) for pans, vegetables etc

•    Heated towel rail (mains only) on wall space at foot of single bed

•    Extra 12v sockets front and rear for charging phones, accessories, bedside fans etc

•    Robust floor-mounted mini safe hidden under passenger seat (money, passports)

•    Flimsier mini safe, unused but stays as decoy, in view

•    Tow bar(worth keeping even though we no longer take a towed car)

•    Roof air con is reliable but used v infrequently (heavy too, maybe wouldn’t buy again)

•    Omnistor wind-out awning used sometimes but not indispensable (heavy)

•    Windjammer side screens for awning (extended sunscreen is handy, side not used)

Things which didn’t need doing:

•    Toilet cassette seals still working well (I do carry a spare seal and spare cassette)

•    Schaudt Electroblok still faultless (because I carry a spare?)

•    Hymer plumbing, electrics and components have generally been good and reliable

•    Flyscreens still working (just about, ideally they need new netting)

Things we’ve tried and taken out:

•    Microwave/combination oven (hardly ever used)

•    Lightweight mains oven/grill (hardly ever used)

•    Honda LPG-powered generator (never used since solar panels)

•    Various 12v or rechargeable bedside fans (we use battery powered, much better)

*There is story behind replacement of cam belt and wheel bearings:  we broke down in France en route home recently and had to get the cam belt and one of the wheel bearings replaced again.  French Fiat Dealership was wonderful and good value. Britannia Rescue also wonderful.  Back home we spoke to the local garages who had replaced the cam belt and the wheel bearings.  One was wonderful and offered a refund straight away, the other was unsympathetic, stern-faced, defensive and denied responsibility, even though the French Garage had found the cam belt tensioners reassembled incorrectly, causing the premature failure.  Guess which garage I’m still using!

Interesting thread, how many miles has it covered? My 2008 Rapido is now up to 75000 so I have to make he decision to either keep it or change it while its still worth something.

Archived