Drink driving

ColinM50

Barryd999 - 2018-01-02 10:13 AM

Keith T - 2018-01-01 7:56 PM

derek pringle - 2018-01-01 9:32 AM

Keith T - 2017-12-31 1:48 PM

I rarely drink more than one glass of wine, but, especially when in France, if driving the next day, I will not even have that.....stick to the H2O or fruit juice.....

hi Keith,

Could,t bear the thought of going to France[or any holiday] without the odd tipple.

You must be a man of great will power imo.

cheers

derek

Derek - its only if we are driving the next day - tho9gh I have never been stopped its not worth risking it as far as I am concerned, and I;m quite happy with non alcoholic drinks

!!!

I think on average your body dispels about 1 unit of alcohol an hour.. A small glass of wine is about 1 unit so after one glass of wine there would be no chance of you being over the limit the next morning whatsoever even if it was a big glass or probably an entire bottle as long as you didnt leave at the crack of dawn. If I have four or five beers ill drive the next day but if I am drinking more than that or till late I just dont drive at all the next day.

What you quote is the "classical" theory however before your body can dispel alcohol it has to absorb it. Stronger wines can contain 12 units of alcohol per bottle so a 125ml glass is two units (and few pubs serve that measure but instead serve 175ml which they call "small" and which is more than two units and could be three (potentially enough to put you over the limit and especially if the lower Scottish limits apply). The "general" rule depends on many factors including health, weight, gender and fitness so predicting absorption into, and metabolisation out, of the bloodstream is difficult and unreliable.

If "four or five beers" means four or five pints or indeed if you consume a whole bottle of wine then there is a very good chance you will be over the limit the next day.

There is evidence that alcohol below the relevant threshold still impairs your ability to drive so it is not just a case of committing an offence.

None of the above is expressed to be anti-drinking and you do say that you avoid driving next day if circumstances dictate. However I think with many modern beverages having higher alcohol levels and measures tending to be higher as well it is very easy to underestimate what you have consumed.

Committing an offence is based on your alcohol level not whether you feel OK or are obviously impaired.

HymerVan - 2018-01-02 11:13 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-01-02 10:13 AM

Keith T - 2018-01-01 7:56 PM

derek pringle - 2018-01-01 9:32 AM

Keith T - 2017-12-31 1:48 PM

I rarely drink more than one glass of wine, but, especially when in France, if driving the next day, I will not even have that.....stick to the H2O or fruit juice.....

hi Keith,

Could,t bear the thought of going to France[or any holiday] without the odd tipple.

You must be a man of great will power imo.

cheers

derek

Derek - its only if we are driving the next day - tho9gh I have never been stopped its not worth risking it as far as I am concerned, and I;m quite happy with non alcoholic drinks

!!!

I think on average your body dispels about 1 unit of alcohol an hour.. A small glass of wine is about 1 unit so after one glass of wine there would be no chance of you being over the limit the next morning whatsoever even if it was a big glass or probably an entire bottle as long as you didnt leave at the crack of dawn. If I have four or five beers ill drive the next day but if I am drinking more than that or till late I just dont drive at all the next day.

What you quote is the "classical" theory however before your body can dispel alcohol it has to absorb it. Stronger wines can contain 12 units of alcohol per bottle so a 125ml glass is two units (and few pubs serve that measure but instead serve 175ml which they call "small" and which is more than two units and could be three (potentially enough to put you over the limit and especially if the lower Scottish limits apply). The "general" rule depends on many factors including health, weight, gender and fitness so predicting absorption into, and metabolisation out, of the bloodstream is difficult and unreliable.

If "four or five beers" means four or five pints or indeed if you consume a whole bottle of wine then there is a very good chance you will be over the limit the next day.

There is evidence that alcohol below the relevant threshold still impairs your ability to drive so it is not just a case of committing an offence.

None of the above is expressed to be anti-drinking and you do say that you avoid driving next day if circumstances dictate. However I think with many modern beverages having higher alcohol levels and measures tending to be higher as well it is very easy to underestimate what you have consumed.

Committing an offence is based on your alcohol level not whether you feel OK or are obviously impaired.

True but even a single 250ml glass of wine which is probably the biggest you can get in a bar, I doubt very much that say eight hours after drinking it you would be over the limit even in Scotland.

Best thing to do I guess is get a decent breathalyser. I went to a long weekend party in the Lake district a couple of years ago and everyone stopped over. On the Sunday someone had a proper expensive breathalyser and it was 2pm before I was clear. Mind you we had been going at it for three days. :D

Agaric - 2017-12-30 10:14 AM

Because someone is a police officer doesn't mean they know the law, so you may be fine when questioned by one officer over something but the next time you may be nicked.

f this reply is in respect of UK police officers, it is totally incorrect. All UK police officers know that there is a defence to an "In change" offence if the accused can demonstrate there was no intent or likelihood of driving and if satisfied as to that wold not consider taking an action. Indeed a custody officer would not accept a detainee under those circumstances.

I dont know so cannot comment on other nationalities but I imagine the same thing applies and If I want to sit outside my motorhome and conns few beers or glasses of wine, as many others do I wont worry about being arrested for it.

• 1 month later...
I have not read all the threads so this may have been covered. If you are alone and Drunk in you MH (as in P****d) a Police Officer can arrest you for being Drunk in Charge of a motor vehicle if you are with your adult partner who is sober it could be said that they are in charge. If you are not drunk but have consumed excess alcohol ie over the prescribed limit, you must be driving or attempting to drive the vehicle to commit the Offence.

Moley54 - 2018-02-13 5:40 PM

I have not read all the threads so this may have been covered. If you are alone and Drunk in you MH (as in P****d) a Police Officer can arrest you for being Drunk in Charge of a motor vehicle if you are with your adult partner who is sober it could be said that they are in charge. If you are not drunk but have consumed excess alcohol ie over the prescribed limit, you must be driving or attempting to drive the vehicle to commit the Offence.

Having another person in the van will not necessarily mean that the police would not be able to charge the driver with being drunk in charge because for example the vehicle may only be insured for one person. If a driver is charged then the onus shifts to that person to prove the defence of "no likeliehood of driving etc."

Fortunately in the real world most police in most situations take a common sense approach and as I suggested earlier the real danger is "morning after" excess alcohol driving where people under estimate how much they had the night before or are unrealistic about how long your body takes to eliminate the alcohol.

Note that "drunk driving" is not a legal term and drivers who are not obviously drunk may still be over the limit particularly the lower limit in Scotland and many other parts of Europe. The offence is driving whilst in excess of the relevant alcohol limits are exceeded.

Archived