Hymer S660

madam

Hi all

New member here from Ireland

Having sold my 1991 diethleffs fiat a few weeks ago I am looking at 2 Hymers here in Ireland , one is an S700 which looks like its fits the bill but came across an S660 today only 20 minutes away from me .

I can get plenty info on the s700 on the net but very little about the s660

Its a 1998 model and the guy I was talking to about it knows nothing about campers and the boss who is the expert is away

I am looking for any info / experience anyone has of these especially any problems or what to look out for and is the engine normally aspirated or turbo and is it heavy on diesel , the fiat was a miser but I doubt the Hymer is ;-)

Thanks Sean :-D :-D

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Sean.

These two links may be of use to you.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/1998-hymer-s660-mercedes-2.9td-lhd/1164910360

Both examples are built on a twinned-wheel rear-axle Mercedes Sprinter chassis and I think that would have been standard for a 1998 S660 model.

I believe the motor will be a 2.9litre 5-cylinder turbodiesel with 5-speed manual or automatic transmission. Power output would probably be 129hp. Expect a fuel consumption in the low 20s (miles per gallon).

Hi I also live in Ireland and I notice the Hymer is 1998,I don't know anything about this model but I would suggest that before you buy it you get the DOE done by the seller even if you you have to pay the 92€ and don't buy it,this could be the best money you could ever spend.

Kevin

Kevin/1946 - 2017-12-30 7:52 PM

Hi I also live in Ireland and I notice the Hymer is 1998,I don't know anything about this model but I would suggest that before you buy it you get the DOE done by the seller even if you you have to pay the 92€ and don't buy it,this could be the best money you could ever spend.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

DOE already done

Swaying to the S700 as its better suited to my needs ( Racing Motorbikes ) and looks like its better cared for

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-30 6:51 PM

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Sean.

These two links may be of use to you.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/1998-hymer-s660-mercedes-2.9td-lhd/1164910360

Both examples are built on a twinned-wheel rear-axle Mercedes Sprinter chassis and I think that would have been standard for a 1998 S660 model.

I believe the motor will be a 2.9litre 5-cylinder turbodiesel with 5-speed manual or automatic transmission. Power output would probably be 129hp. Expect a fuel consumption in the low 20s (miles per gallon).

Thanks for that Derek

The fuel consumption is a bit of a shocker :-D

The average fuel consumption for my relatively compact/light 2015 Fiat Ducato-based Rapido motorhome with 2.3litre motor is around 27mpg and I do not consider that excessive.

An average low-20s mpg for a Hymer with the 2.9litre 5-cylinder Mercedes motor and twinned-wheel rear-axle low-geared ‘truck’ chassis is exactly what I’d anticipate, and driving the motorhome hard and/or on routes involving mountainous terrain I believe you’d be very lucky to get 20mpg.

Some comments on early Hymer S700s here

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hymer-s700-or-b694.12584/

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-31 9:33 AM

The average fuel consumption for my relatively compact/light 2015 Fiat Ducato-based Rapido motorhome with 2.3litre motor is around 27mpg and I do not consider that excessive.

An average low-20s mpg for a Hymer with the 2.9litre 5-cylinder Mercedes motor and twinned-wheel rear-axle low-geared ‘truck’ chassis is exactly what I’d anticipate, and driving the motorhome hard and/or on routes involving mountainous terrain I believe you’d be very lucky to get 20mpg.

Some comments on early Hymer S700s here

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hymer-s700-or-b694.12584/

Interesting read alright

The S700 I am looking at is a 1999

Nice engine the merc 2.9 of that era, although good service history is essential.

Check the floor underneath is the first thing to look for, before you even go inside the van, especially from the rear wheels backwards, they used timber and can rot if not inspected and made good on a regular basis.

Paul.

coppo - 2018-01-02 8:56 PM

Nice engine the merc 2.9 of that era, although good service history is essential.

Check the floor underneath is the first thing to look for, before you even go inside the van, especially from the rear wheels backwards, they used timber and can rot if not inspected and made good on a regular basis.

Paul.

Perfect thanks

Had that problem on my Ducato but luckily was an easy fix

• 2 months later...

Well After much searching and a couple of disappointments I did the deal today and bought an immaculate low milage S660 1998 but like new

Will be collecting it during the week

Happy camper here B-) B-)

Archived