Ducato radio - lack of AUX input

mthomson

My 2012 Fiat Ducato radio has no AUX input, as many with a similar base vehicle have noted. FM transmitter modulators suffer from competing radio stations and also in the case of our panel van conversion the effect of the Faraday cage inhibiting the FM transmissions fro reaching the external aerial. The sound quality from the van's speakers is clearly better than that from our Avtex television, but it is marred by reception issues - hiss, clicks etc.

I was therefore thinking of fitting a wired FM modulator such as the VEBA unit:

https://www.incarconnections.co.uk/in-car-aux-adapter-aux-cable-accessories/veba-wired-fm-modulator-avfm-mod01-ipod-mp3.html

Does anyone have experience of using one of these? Is it good enough for improving TV/DVD sound (hi-fi quality not really necessary)? Was it difficult to fit the box and wiring behind the factory-fit double-din radio? Any other issues or advice?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike Thomson

Mike,

I cannot advise on the fitting of the unit because no dimensions are quoted and my PVC is an X244 Ducato.

However before buying, I would seek confirmation of the specification. I consider that the quoted audio frequency response of 100 to 1500Hz may be inadequate for your intended use. I would like to see the audio response extending up to at least 9kHz, which would be typical for AM broadcasts. (For comparison an analogue telephone line has a audio bandwidth up to about 3kHz.)

As it would appear that any signal from the aerial would have to pass through this unit, what is the insertion loss?

Alan

If the upper frequency really was 1500 Hz it would sound like everything was being played through a rolled up woolly jumper ! I suspect they actually mean 15000 Hz which is standard FM radio quality. I'm not sure why the bass response is a rather mean 100Hz rather than say 30 Hz. A signal to noise ratio of 5 dB would make things completely inaudible. Maybe they mean 50dB or 65 dB or whatever.

To be honest, the published specifications for a lot of low cost consumer electronics are close to meaningless. I suspect it will sound OK.

Alanb - 2017-12-31 9:38 AM

Mike,

I cannot advise on the fitting of the unit because no dimensions are quoted and my PVC is an X244 Ducato.

However before buying, I would seek confirmation of the specification. I consider that the quoted audio frequency response of 100 to 1500Hz may be inadequate for your intended use. I would like to see the audio response extending up to at least 9kHz, which would be typical for AM broadcasts. (For comparison an analogue telephone line has a audio bandwidth up to about 3kHz.)

As it would appear that any signal from the aerial would have to pass through this unit, what is the insertion loss?

Alan

Good point about the insertion loss, Alan, and there's no mention of that in their specifications. I had hoped that when the unit is switched off, there might be no effect on the aerial signal, but I'm not sure it's that clever! I had realised that the frequency response and S/N figures were so bad that they have to represent typos by the ignorant, but they are repeated evrywhere I've seen this VEBA unit for sale.

KT88 - 2017-12-31 12:01 PM

If the upper frequency really was 1500 Hz it would sound like everything was being played through a rolled up woolly jumper ! I suspect they actually mean 15000 Hz which is standard FM radio quality. I'm not sure why the bass response is a rather mean 100Hz rather than say 30 Hz. A signal to noise ratio of 5 dB would make things completely inaudible. Maybe they mean 50dB or 65 dB or whatever.

To be honest, the published specifications for a lot of low cost consumer electronics are close to meaningless. I suspect it will sound OK.

I had realised that the frequency response and S/N figures were so bad that they have to represent typos by the ignorant, but they are repeated everywhere I've seen this VEBA unit for sale. I think it's a fair bet that it won't sound any worse in frequency response and S/N than the transmitter-type units, in which case it would be perfectly adequate for television and DVD sound.

I wholly concur with your point about published specifications for low-cost consumer electronics being meaningless!

I don't know as it's something I know very little about but considering almost all owners of Sevel produced vans experience radio reception problems , here goes with my query.

A large proportion of use have roof mounted TV ariels with signal boosters.

So if we were to leave that switched on with a lead to the Radio, would this give us the required improvement over a normal Ariel.?

Obviously this would rely on being able to travel with the habitation electrics switched on.

Or am I totally on the wrong tack ?

Over to the more knowledgeable.

flicka - 2018-01-01 5:08 PM

I don't know as it's something I know very little about but considering almost all owners of Sevel produced vans experience radio reception problems , here goes with my query.

A large proportion of use have roof mounted TV ariels with signal boosters.

So if we were to leave that switched on with a lead to the Radio, would this give us the required improvement over a normal Ariel.?

Obviously this would rely on being able to travel with the habitation electrics switched on.

Or am I totally on the wrong tack ?

Over to the more knowledgeable.

I think the radio output on the latest VP5 is straight through for FM and does not need the booster switched on.

Archived