Dog Friendly

Tinlizzie

We are off to Calpe for a couple of months shortly. We love Calpe, but its only drawbacks are the Dog-Prohibited beaches and poor dog-walking. We plan to tour a little on the way there, and for a month on the way home, along the South coast. Are any of you experienced dog owning tourers able to share their favorite sites with us.

We just have 1 small dog now, Jack the Westie.

Many thanks

Lizzie

Hi, we have just returned from camping Joan near cambrils. This is a nice place to visit with a dog because it is directly on the bollavard into cambrils for a walk to town. Although the signs say no dogs on the beach it is allowed out of season as we have inquired in the tourist information. We do not take our dog to the beach in the main season but it seems to be the spainish get away with it, but we don't take the chance, the fine is very big. The bollavard go all the way to salou 6 miles away so there is plenty of walking. And this place is great for bikes. Hope this helps. Regards Tringy.

Calpe is dreadful for dog walkers, unless you feel like walking up past the railway station to the hermitage, I sometimes run that route, a lot of it is off the road. You can also walk north along the coast path for a few miles. That’s about all we’ve found.

Most of the campers there can just about manage a “stagger” to a bar to top up their alcohol levels. (If they can be bothered) Their poor dogs get practically no walks except around the nearby streets, the evidence is everywhere.

Take a deep breath!! In Spain, under new laws, dogs over 20 kgs, regardless of breed MUST be muzzled whenever in the open. You have to carry your pet passport fully up to date with you whenever and wherever you walk your dogs, and all beaches are prohibited to dogs all year! technically a beach is also a "comino real" and under old laws you have a right of movement with animals (and dogs) but I wouldn't want to argue the point with the Guardia Civil! All dogs, if travelling inside a car must have a harness fitted, or be in the boot area, so I would interpret that harnesses are needed in a motorhome. It's a nightmare!!

A friend of ours has recently been done and for all the above offences, there is a 2000€ fine!!

It's all dogs.

One person's lovable friendly bundle of furry joy (I mean a dog) can be a nightmare to someone else and having dogs roaming on beaches - urinating and crapping all over the place - is not a good idea on a crowded beach especially with children of all ages playing.

We have a dog and don't go on the beaches when not allowed but do so when it's low season and there are few people around.

We also pick up any deposits our dog may make but unfortunately the French do not have the same level of responsibility as we Brits and leave it for the tide to wash away - eventually.

Another one I took on Boulogne beach -

962127150_DOGBEACH5.jpg.d85d563452c5dac6341eae1c6ce76f11.jpg

If you want dog friendly beeches see ://www.redcanina.es,plenty of beaches all year on North coast most open all year ,loads round bottom of Spain ,not check when open .

Only information I can find about muzzles etc. seem to be regarding dangerous dogs ,carry pet passport as you would your own .

Solomongrundy - 2018-01-08 12:58 PM

Flyboyprowler has at least one mistake in the post - it's 25kg - not 20kg.

But how many Law enforcement officers carry a set of weighing scales around with them to check on the dog's weight ?

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Apologies for that, I was given the weight by the chap that got fined, and haven't seen it myself in writing.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to anyone interested in dog friendly Calpe. We have been here for a month now. Dogs are still forbidden on the beaches Many people say they go on the beach every day with their dogs - but they are risking a fine and the law is the law as far as I'm concerned.

The streets have much less dog poo on them than last year- so that is good. There is a dog walking area I use every morning opposite calpe mar 200 yards up. Many people use this so it is a good mostly fenced off -lead dog meeting place. Unfortunately not all are picker uppers - but most are. There is reasonable walking following the river bed up dirt tracks where dogs are quite safe off lead.

There are plenty of restaurants that allow you to take dogs in for lunch or dinner so no problems there.

Another point to mention is that the car rental agent said dogs not allowed - but suggested I check with the supplier. The supplier said it was no problem and did not mention any restrictions.

Anyone who wants more details message me

Camping Joan is good, as suggested by someone. We are in Oliva (not too far away). Beaches here are dog freindly. Currently at KikoPark (which is very nice but not cheap) you could look around this area but do not go to Camping Ole. It is awful.

Archived