ROUTE PLAN TO ESTEPONA

Paul Morgan

I know someone will help!

Having just decided to take three week break to Spain this coming weekend, can anybody suggest a fast route to Estepona. Not to many mountains as she in doors does not like them! I don't really like to much motorway driving, I still like to see some of France and Spain. We will travelling from Dover to Calais on the Seafrance 8.15 am on Saturday 21st.

Paul member of "worms"

Hi Paul if you fill in the details and options you want here you will get a route which you can print out and take with you.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

If you haven't already got it might I suggest you buy Autoroute, versions 2006 or 2007 are very good and in my opinion worth their weight in gold for planning. If you have a laptop take that with Autoroute installed and you can sort out routes as you go along.

If you also get a USB GPS Receiver you would have a very efficient and cheap satnav with a large screen.

Phil.

Paul,

It will realistically take at a minimu of 3 days to get to Estepona and 3 back, which is one week of your three gone already!

But, if you insist: the best route, and one I have used often, is as follows (you'll need to follow it on a map as you read this.

From Calais, take the A16 motorway to Boulogne (free) then on to Abbeville (toll) then on to the A28 to Rouen. Nice scenery if the weather is good. Beware, roads are being renumbered in France and even 2007 maps don't have the new numbers. Where new motorways have been built, the N (Route Nationale) roads are being handed over to local departements and being renumberd as they go.

From Rouen, you have two choices to get to the A10 round Tours:

- either take the N138 past Alencon and Le Mans to Tours (there is now also a toll motorway which is quicker), making sure you drive out of Le Mans along the Mulsanne Straight

- or take the A13 towards Paris and branch off onto the N154 to Evreux, Dreux, Chartres (magnificent cathedral with the greatest glass anywhere), then the N10 to Tours.

At Tours, take the A10 (toll to Poitiers (the N10 is very poor along here, so avoid it), then the N10 via Angouleme to Bordeaux. (The A10 runs from Poitiers via Niort and Saintes to Bordeaux but is toll).

Go roung the Bordeaux ring road along the A63 then N10 to Bayonne (all free) then join the motorway into Spain. Beware, roads are being re-numbered in Spain, so the numbers I have given may no longer apply - but I have given destinations.

At San Sebastian/Donostia, brach off onto the A15 Pamplona then the N1 and eventually the A1 (toll, this bit) to Vitoria/Gasteiz and on to Burgos. You swing round the south of Burgos onto the NI for Madrid - a long, fairly straight dual carriageway (or autovia). Get around Madrid on one of the many ring road systems aiming for the road to Valdepenas and Bailen (the key junction). At Bailen, take the motorway (free) to Granada, then round the ring road onto the A92 past Granada Airport to Malaga. At Malaga, take the new motorway (avoid the coast road at all costs - it's the most dangerous stretch of road in all of Europe!!) to Estepona.

There are many good stops on the way. If you need help, let me know (a) what time you expect to leave Calais, and (b) how many days you want to take on the drive.

=====

Mel E

Archived