Flooded in York

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I have just had two days at Rowntree Park, the CC site in York. It should have been three but more of that later. The main purpose was to test out my new Lunar Telstar and to have a good look at York, a city that I haven't visited in 'tourist mode' for over thirty years.

First of all the 'van was flawless. Everything including my Maxview Semitronic satellite system worked superbly and I think that I'm really going to enjoy this motorhoming lark!

The CC site at York, which will be known to many of you, is absolutely brilliant. Right by the river, first class showers and sanitory facilities but best of all, a ten minute walk from the city centre.

The river was very high and many riverside parks etc. were already flooded. When we arrived it was about twelve feet above its normal height and we were told by the warden that we should phone in every four hours to check on the condition of the site.

On Thursday evening we had a knock on the door and the warden told us that the river was expected to be even higher that evening and that we should move to the highest part of the site. I and the other few outfits did this and I really appreciated the ease with which I was able to move, whereas the poor caravanners had all the hassle of hitching and then unhitching etc. just to go fifty yards.

The next morning, most of the site was under water and we were told that the site was being closed.

To exit by the emergency gate in Vine Street we had to drive through a few inches of water, but the normal entrance along by the river, was simply impossible to use.

It must have been a nightmare for the wardens. The site was fully booked for the weekend and they were trying to contact everyone to warn them that the site was closed. It is made quite clear by the way in the handbook, that this site is subject to flooding, so we all knew the risk.

I'm not just saying this to have a dig at the odd people on this site who seem to be anti CC I promise you, but I have to say that the wardens were absolutey superb. They couldn't have been more helpful and remained constantly cheerful during the whole episode. The head warden visited every outfit and gave us a refund for any unused nights. He did this at your 'van as the office was unapproachable, unless you had good wellies!

The slightly worrying news is that Rowntree Park is not owned by the CC, but is leased from York Council, and the lease is up shortly. I really hope that the CC manages to renew it as it really must be one of the CC's 'Jewels in the Crown'.

There will obviously be a huge temptation for the council to sell it for house-building and get millions for what is a superb piece of real estate, and I for one will be very sad if this happens, as Rowntree park is a superb site for anyone wanting to visit this lovely old city. This particularly applies to motorhomers, for whom parking in the town cannot be easy.

Frank

I agree, York is a lovely 'city' site with nice walks along the river bank ... weather permitting!

I doubt if the York City Council will be able to allow anyone to build in the site as areas that are at high risk of flooding, as this is, are not, in my limited experience, normally granted planning permission for any permanent dwellings, either residential or commercial. I would guess therefore that there's not a lot they could do with the site and as it must bring in a heck of a lot of income from the 'campers for the city, I wouldn't think they'd want to use if for anything else.

I pity the wardens though, can you imagine what the state of the site must be when the waters drain away and all the hard work that then will lie ahead for them. *-)

Hi Frank,

Rowntree Park is one of our favorites though we have not been there for a year or so, did you see the picture gallery of previous floods that have occurred there? Thats worrying and disappointing to hear about the lease situation, I certainly was not aware of that, did the wardens have any incling as to the way it may go? Sounds as though it may well be out of the Clubs hands though!

Bas

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Basil - 2007-01-13 5:26 PM Hi Frank, Rowntree Park is one of our favorites though we have not been there for a year or so, did you see the picture gallery of previous floods that have occurred there? Thats worrying and disappointing to hear about the lease situation, I certainly was not aware of that, did the wardens have any incling as to the way it may go? Sounds as though it may well be out of the Clubs hands though! Bas

Basil, no the warden had no idea I'm afraid. I don't necessarily go along with the idea that they can't build houses where it floods. There are new apartment blocks right by the river and they are built to take account of the flooding. Any new homes would simply be built a few feet higher than normal.

I too hope that pressures from environmentalist etc. stops York Council from building on this site as it's a valuable asset for leisure.

the wardens at York could probably clear the site in their sleep by now, didn't you see the photos in the reception??

Glad you enjoyed the 'van; but before you get too ecstatic over the workings of your satellite system, does it interfere with radio reception for everyone else??, we usually have problems whenever we are within 30 metres of the d%&* things.  :'(

Trust you enjoyed York a little bit, but most of the 'new apartment blocks' are converted warehouses etc

Hi Frank,

Like you Frank, I haven't been to York as a tourist for around 30 years but we are booked on Rowntree Park on the 3rd of February and we are really looking forward to it because we have heard what a great site it is. We both still work full time and don't finish early on Friday afternoon like a lot of lucky people so we are only able to stay on Saturday night. It has been difficult to get a pitch because the site is so popular so I hope the site has dried out by then and this terrible weather improves.

On the Edinburgh CC site, the wardens allocate a pitch for you because the site gets really busy at certain times of year. Do they do this at York or can you choose and if so, do you know where the best place to pitch is to avoid getting damp?

John.

Hi Frank

So, for the first major outing in the Lunar you literally went 'in at the deep end', what an adventure (!) but I'm sure that you and Mrs Frank will find that it is the first of many...you learn to expect the unexpected. But it is great to be snug & secure while havoc reigns around you.

We find that our m/h rocks & rolls a bit if we are parked up in windy conditions without the steadies down. I really like it, especially when we go to bed, it's kinda nice being rocked to sleep!

During our many years of cara****ing/motorhoming we have only come accross one grumpy CC warden, years ago at Baltic Wharf. (But maybe her corns were playing up or something) The rest have been both helpful & cheerful - it's not an easy job - I wouldn't like to do it.

Actually, I believe Baltic Wharf is similarly council owned & up or renewal. With most of our folks in the Bristol area we rely on it, we haven't found any other good sites (apart from CL's, but they are generally no good for us in winter - not enough provision of hardstandings &/or difficult access for our bulky rig).

Keep on truckin'

Vixter

Guest Frank Wilkinson
John H - 2007-01-13 6:30 PM Hi Frank, Like you Frank, I haven't been to York as a tourist for around 30 years but we are booked on Rowntree Park on the 3rd of February and we are really looking forward to it because we have heard what a great site it is. We both still work full time and don't finish early on Friday afternoon like a lot of lucky people so we are only able to stay on Saturday night. It has been difficult to get a pitch because the site is so popular so I hope the site has dried out by then and this terrible weather improves. On the Edinburgh CC site, the wardens allocate a pitch for you because the site gets really busy at certain times of year. Do they do this at York or can you choose and if so, do you know where the best place to pitch is to avoid getting damp? John.

John, we arrived on Wednesday and it was very quiet so the warden asked us to drive around and choose our own pitch. We chose one in between the river and the facilities but of course, the nearer  you are to the river the more chance of flooding.

Rowntree Park appears to be a weekend site, which makes sense I suppose as York isn't necessarily a place that you'd visit for a week. A couple of days allows you to cover the major attractions.

I really can't help as to pitch allocation at weekends when it's busy although I can see no reason why the warden would wish to put anyone on a certain pitch and if there were several available when you arrive I'm pretty sure that he'd let you choose.

The highest part is by the Vine Street exit. This exit is only used in emergencies as it's a narrow street. Unfortunately, this part of the site is the farthest from the facilities so if you want to use the showers etc. it's a bit of a walk.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
twooks - 2007-01-13 6:03 PM

the wardens at York could probably clear the site in their sleep by now, didn't you see the photos in the reception??

Glad you enjoyed the 'van; but before you get too ecstatic over the workings of your satellite system, does it interfere with radio reception for everyone else??, we usually have problems whenever we are within 30 metres of the d%&* things.  :'(

Trust you enjoyed York a little bit, but most of the 'new apartment blocks' are converted warehouses etc

Twooks, what's the radio problem? I can only think that it's when I raise it, which takes a few seconds. My model is the Semitronic, which has an electric riser. The lateral movement is manual. Presumably the electric motor used to raise it is unsuppressed? This subject has never come up during all the research that I did on this dish.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Vixter - 2007-01-13 6:33 PM Hi Frank So, for the first major outing in the Lunar you literally went 'in at the deep end', what an adventure (!) but I'm sure that you and Mrs Frank will find that it is the first of many...you learn to expect the unexpected. But it is great to be snug & secure while havoc reigns around you. We find that our m/h rocks & rolls a bit if we are parked up in windy conditions without the steadies down. I really like it, especially when we go to bed, it's kinda nice being rocked to sleep! During our many years of cara****ing/motorhoming we have only come accross one grumpy CC warden, years ago at Baltic Wharf. (But maybe her corns were playing up or something) The rest have been both helpful & cheerful - it's not an easy job - I wouldn't like to do it. Actually, I believe Baltic Wharf is similarly council owned & up or renewal. With most of our folks in the Bristol area we rely on it, we haven't found any other good sites (apart from CL's, but they are generally no good for us in winter - not enough provision of hardstandings &/or difficult access for our bulky rig). Keep on truckin' Vixter

Vixter, yes we'd a great time thank you, although sitting there in our little 6 mtr motorhome I couldn't help thinking about your beautiful machine and wishing that we too had a Jacuzzi, media room, helicopter landing pad and servants' quarters!

I really have been meaning to ask you, and this isn't some silly, remote, insincere flattery or something I promise you - are you, or have you been, an actress? Every time I look at your picture I'm convinced that I've seen you on T.V. or in films.

Frank

Thanks for your kind words. I hate to shatter your illusions, but please be aware that the m/h and I are both well past the first flush of youth. The dear old Clou is 16 years old and I am - er - a mature lady!

As for my past, well - the only time that the media was interested in me was when I broke my arm when I fell off my pony when I was 12 and the event was reported in the local newspaper on a 'slow news' week.

I have been thinking about the fuzzy forum photo that you are looking at, and if you half close your eyes it does make me look a bit like Carol Drinkwater, the actress. She has also written some books about life on her olive farm in Provence (I like that sort of stuff). But I can assure you that in reality I'm not half as pretty as she is :-(

As for the Jacuzzi, media room, helicopter landing pad and servants' quarters...yup, that bit was accurate!!

Vixter

Frank - dunno what the problem is, only know that we get lotsa white noise, particularly irritating on Monday evenings when Humph is on R4

John - suggest you have a word with the wardens before you get there, if your van isn't too big there used to be an area at the edge of the site by a wall, they put mhomes there. Convenient for loos and not too far frm back entrance; which also used to be great for nipping out for a bacon butty - through the foot gate, up to main street and turn right !!

Failing that you could try their other site on the outskirts - about a mile from Monks Cross P+R - not a patch on Rowntrees tho.

Also - if you turn right instead of left when you walk out of the site - you can walk down to the Millennium {?} bridge, cross over and walk into York along the left bank for a change.  Weather permitting, of course.

;-))   

Archived