Euro breakdown cover

Duffer

Does anyone know a good company for European recovery?

I have two cars and a 2.38m wide BessaCarr. I have Arrival through C&CC which is £200 and they want over £80 to add on Eurocover for the Bessie. (Oh, and if I add it now it only runs until the renewal date which is April!)

I can get exactly the same car cover for £55 per car through my Insurer, so if I stayed with the RAC I would, in effect, pay £170 for the van. Looking at other sites, almost each one limits the width to 2.25m and the majority have a length limit of 5.5 m! Yes, fine if you've a Bongo or T5 etc., but pretty poor if it's a coachbuilt.

I'm still trying to find reasonable cover so if you know of anyone please let me know. (Also, if you think you've got cover, I'd strongly suggest checking the height, length and width limits because nearly every site has them in the small print. Apparently my 6m Bessie is a 'large motorhome' and therefore excluded!)

I don't want to change insurer - my current premium is good. I just want separate breakdown cover.

Another option is to open a Nationwide Flexplus account and pay £13 pm (slightly less than this as you earn some interest on any money deposited in the acount) If it is a joint account 2 vehicles are covered. I think you have to pay in £750pm to get the insurance. For the £13pm you get pretty good travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and of course breakdown insurance that covers motorhomes up to 8m or 7.5 tonnes. They actually use Britannia as mentioned in an earlier post.

Have banked with NW for years and although do most of my banking on line never had a problem with them.

Have used to breakdown twice when van wouldn't start and had very prompt service, admittedly only a mile from home.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/product-support/insurance/flexplus-ins

PS if you or anybody else does decide to open a NW account please pm me as I get £100 if I recommend someone, as does the new account opener!

ADAC (German, online or phone) will cover all of Europe, any vehicle include vehicle and driver passenger repatriation (inc. ill health) for around €200 for 2 people.

This is just breakdown cover not health, however the repatriation by ambulance or air goes a long way.

If you phone them ask for English speaking and you will be put onto someone who will be fluent.

H

Sorry rooster63 nice try but we already use Nationwide (lol) .

Another plus is that it covers all vehicles registered to me so I was able to cancel other breakdown policies which helped to offset the £13/month fee (not long ago this was a tenner).

B-)

hallii - 2018-01-22 11:40 AM

ADAC (German, online or phone) will cover all of Europe, any vehicle include vehicle and driver passenger repatriation (inc. ill health) for around €200 for 2 people.

This is just breakdown cover not health, however the repatriation by ambulance or air goes a long way.

If you phone them ask for English speaking and you will be put onto someone who will be fluent.

H

ADAC no longer take on new customers outside of Germany.

We also use Britannia Rescue for the Motorhome as that seems to cover our motorhome size and other requirements. We do get a very good discount on the normal price, around 50% off, for membership of an associated partner.

For travel insurance we use the NFOP, as mentioned on other occasions by other members of the Forum, just not having to notify prior medical conditions makes that worthwhile, IMHO.

Bas

We've just cancelled our Britannia breakdown cover in favour of the Nationwide Flex Plus Account cover,  which although limited to MHs no longer than 8m is good enough for us.

Just before leaving Britannia we suffered a broken front coil spring at home (it just went bank while parked) and Britania initially told us there was a 10 mile limit on recovery from home and we would have to pay any extra mileage.  I checked the policy which limits recovery from home to "locally" but doesn't specify a mileage.  I argued the toss (we live in a rural area, so there's no suitable garager for this typre of repair within 10 miles) and they relented, taking us the 30  miles to the garage which could do the job.

I get the impression that both Britannia (owneed by LV Insurance) and its parent company (who had our travel cover) are getting morehard nosed about claims.  No longer quite such an avuncular mutual then.

StuartO - 2018-01-22 1:43 PMWe've just cancelled our Britannia breakdown cover in favour of the Nationwide Flex Plus Account cover,  which although limited to MHs no longer than 8m is good enough for us.

Just before leaving Britannia we suffered a broken front coil spring at home (it just went bank while parked) and Britania initially told us there was a 10 mile limit on recovery from home and we would have to pay any extra mileage.  I checked the policy which limits recovery from home to "locally" but doesn't specify a mileage.  I argued the toss (we live in a rural area, so there's no suitable garager for this typre of repair within 10 miles) and they relented, taking us the 30  miles to the garage which could do the job.

I get the impression that both Britannia (owneed by LV Insurance) and its parent company (who had our travel cover) are getting morehard nosed about claims.  No longer quite such an avuncular mutual then.

We also have Nationwide Flex. Plus as our cover. When we rang to cancel our existing Britannia cover with effect from renewal they offered to cancel immediately and refund the unused portion of the year, because they could see we were still with them via Nationwide.

This is hard work !

I've spent hours on the phone and so far have quotes from £282 to £118. This is for 2 cars, motorhome and euro-recovery of it. Difficulty may be with the dogs - most of them say whether pets are carried is at the discretion of the recovery driver.

I've also heard of an instance where someone's van got totalled, and they lent him a car to get to the terminal, and then he had to travel on foot on ferry and pick a different car up on this side. I can't see how that would work with the dogs.

Duffer - 2018-01-21 7:02 PM

I have two cars and a 2.38m wide BessaCarr. I have Arrival through C&CC which is £200

I can never understand this, we have RAC personnel cover with Arrival add on, covers GF and myself in any vehicle we are in including van, went up to £154 last renewal. Adding European cover is expensive.

colin - 2018-01-22 6:48 PM

I have two cars and a 2.38m wide BessaCarr. I have Arrival through C&CC which is £200

I can never understand this, we have RAC personnel cover with Arrival add on, covers GF and myself in any vehicle we are in including van, went up to £154 last renewal. Adding European cover is expensive.

Hi,

are you sure this is still available as I believe the RAC have just altered or ceased something on these lines,not 100% sure though.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2018-01-23 9:05 AM

colin - 2018-01-22 6:48 PM

Hi,

are you sure this is still available as I believe the RAC have just altered or ceased something on these lines,not 100% sure though.

cheers

derek

I suppose it's possible I am on a legacy product which isn't open to new customers.

Duffer - 2018-01-22 6:37 PM

This is hard work !

I've spent hours on the phone and so far have quotes from £282 to £118. This is for 2 cars, motorhome and euro-recovery of it. Difficulty may be with the dogs - most of them say whether pets are carried is at the discretion of the recovery driver. ..........................

Can't answer for dogs, but I suggest you speak to Comfort Insurance. Their policies are underwritten by Aviva, and continental breakdown cover (scope similar to RAC Arrival) can be added to the vehicle policy for an extra £62. A sample policy document, which includes the breakdown cover, can be viewed on their website. AFAIK, breakdown can be added to any other vehicle insurance, if required. You do, of course, have to insure the vehicles with Comfort, but I do not know if they do multi-vehicle insurances. You may also find their rates for health and travel insurance of interest if taken in conjunction with your home/contents insurances.

colin - 2018-01-22 12:56 PM

H

Colin, you are right, I had better keep my renewal up to date!

hallii - 2018-01-23 7:01 PM

colin - 2018-01-22 12:56 PM

H

Colin, you are right, I had better keep my renewal up to date!

That's a warning for anyone, DON'T LET YOUR ADAC LAPSE .

I was going to join ADAC this year as we should be spending more time abroad, was not happy to find just a couple of months before that they stopped covering anyone outside Germany.

Archived