Duetto v Symbol

mini4

I had a Symbol from the period. The lay-out and kit fitted was pretty much perfect and of excellent quality. Sadly the Peugeot side of the van was terrible with serious rust, gearbox and engine problems. Not had a Ford but can not be worse than the Peugeot. Have you considered the VW Autosleeper van conversion with the bathroom across the back. It was call the Topaz. A much better van and much sort after but do tend to hold their price

mini4

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

There are significant differences between an around-2004 Duetto and a similar-vintage Symbol, and those differences don’t just relate to the base vehicle (eg. Duetto is rear-wheel drive, Symbol is front-wheel drive) but also to the interior volume and layout.

I can’t predict what advice you’ll get here but I echo Paul’s suggestion that (if you have not already done so) you register on the Auto-Sleeper Owners Forum

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

and ask for Duetto-versus-Symbol information there. The ASOF is a pretty active forum and there’s a good chance some of its participants will have owned a Duetto and a Symbol and will be able to provide comparative comments.

mini4 - 2018-01-21 10:33 PM

Hi, newbie here. Looking to buy either Ford Duetto or Peugeot Symbol, around 2004 models. Which ones would you decide on as they are both similar . Any advice would help me decide. Many Thanks

Hi..

We had a 2003 Duetto for a couple of years(from 2007 ish?)and it was a great van (and with the benefit of 10 years of hindsight, possibly a van we should've stuck with(at least for a few years longer)rather than going down the coach-built route.?

As for Duetto v Symbol All things being equal, I wouldn't have thought that there'd be that much noticeable difference between them ,"usage" wise?..with vehicles of that age the overall condition and the *upkeep history and *spares availability etc (*predominantly the base vehicle), would be as an important as anything..

I was looking at getting a Duetto or Symbol a couple of years ago. I decided on a 2003 Symbol in the end and am very pleased with it. Mine has the 2.2l engine which has plenty of torque and is fast enough. One poster sat that he had a major rust problem with his but I have no rust on mine at all. If anything the Duetto is more prone to rusting , especially around the wheel arches and sills. The other thing that swayed me towards the Symbol was they are more secure that the Duetto. Transits are woefully easy to steal and many tranny based campers go missing on a regular basis..

I had a 2004 Symbol 2.0 litre many years ago and we saw it a show last year still looking good and rust and trouble free according to the owner who had had it for several years.

Rust wise my perceptions are that a Boxer is more durable than a Transit, but as I have never had a modern Transit that is just my percection?

I have had several Boxers, some not youngsters, and never had a rust problem with any of them but it would be wise to think the worst of any vehicle that age and have a good check.

Some say the 2.0 ltr engine is a bit slow and there is no doubt that a 2.2 is

much better, but I found the 2.0 adequate for the purpose in a panel van.

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2018-01-22 3:13 PM

Rust wise my perceptions are that a Boxer is more durable than a Transit, "but as I have never had a modern Transit" that is just my percection?

Nor have I :D ........But from my point of view repairing a bit of rust on a Transit will be far easier than finding parts for a ageing Sevel base ;-) ........

Not to mention the ability to upgrade ancient Tranny's when diesel is banned 8-) .....

I owned a Duetto. I paid £25000 for it at 1 year old and sold it 7 years later for £22000 so from personal experience I can say they hold their value. The Duetto was totally reliable except for the fact water did leak onto the scuttle meaning the injectors were always immersed in water. Ford refused to do anything about this under warranty claiming this was normal which I very much doubt. A couple of years later Fiat had the same problem but eventually sorted it under warranty. It's a point worth checking if the Ford is chosen. Rust was not an issue as all Mk6 Transit's (post 2001/2002 have galvanised bodies. There are so many Mk 6 and the basically similar Mk 7Transit's around spares should not be a problem.

We chose a Duetto (both on a MK5 and a MK7 Transit) because we could sleep across the width of the van and not have to move the front seats at all in order to make up the bed. Depending on how tall the OP is, this might be a significant factor.

The Transit is a very well supported vehicle and as has been mentioned previously, spares are relatively cheap. There is a good forum for all marks of Transit at: http://fordtransit.org/ It can be a bit rumbustious at times, but there is a great deal of practical help to be had there (much more so than the Peugeot equivalent, I have found).

edit to correct spelling error

Mike88 - 2018-01-22 4:47 PM

...Rust was not an issue as all Mk6 Transit's (post 2001/2002 have galvanised bodies...

Hmmm...

Can you authenticate that statement, please?

Whether Transits were galvanised was asked on the Ford Transit forum in 2008

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28970

but no conclusive answer was given.

I owned a Transit Mk 6-based Hobby coachbuilt motorhome from 2005 to 2014 and, although there were no signs of serious corrosion, there was some rusting at seams on the chassis underside. I could believe that certain body companents (eg. front wings and door panels) were galvanised, but I'm far from convinced that the complete body of Transit Mk 6s was.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-23 9:52 AM

Mike88 - 2018-01-22 4:47 PM

...Rust was not an issue as all Mk6 Transit's (post 2001/2002 have galvanised bodies...

Hmmm...

Can you authenticate that statement, please?

Whether Transits were galvanised was asked on the Ford Transit forum in 2008

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28970

but no conclusive answer was given.

I owned a Transit Mk 6-based Hobby coachbuilt motorhome from 2005 to 2014 and, although there were no signs of serious corrosion, there was some rusting at seams on the chassis underside. I could believe that certain body companents (eg. front wings and door panels) were galvanised, but I'm far from convinced that the complete body of Transit Mk 6s was.

Derek. My post referred to the body. I have no idea about the chassis but all I can say is that the chassis (and body) on mine was rust free even though I live 50 yards from the sea with the vehicle spending virtually all of its time exposed to salt air. I have no evidence to confirm that even the body panels are galvanised so my statement could well be incorrect but note that the main rusting spots on earlier Transits such as around the wheel arches, bottom of the doors as well as the wings do not generally occur on Mk6 Duetto motorhomes whereas earlier Duettos based on the Mk 5 do rust.

spospe - 2018-01-22 7:22 PM

We chose a Duetto (both on a MK5 and a MK7 Transit) because we could sleep across the width of the van and not have to move the front seats at all in order to make up the bed.

Now that I did not know!

I always thought the Transit of circa 2004 was about the same width as the Sevel x240/244 vans of that era, wider than the VW T4 but not as wide as the later Sevel X250s.

The symbol I had did not have a comfortable bed no matter which way I made it so I swapped it for a Nuevo which was a very similar size and much more spacious, easy to use and comfortable!

If I were to buy another van the Nuevo or Executive would feature higher on my 'look at' list than either the Symbol or the Duetto!

Rich

We are 5ft 10 and 5ft 5 respectively, so anyone of similar heights will find that they can sleep across the width of a Duetto (only just, but you will fit). This gives three significant benefits.

1) The three infill cushions needed to make up the full length lengthways bed can be left at home, freeing up considerable storage space in the van.

2) The double bed can be made-up of just the settee and the single travel seat in about 30 seconds (when two people work together). The bed can be put away easily by one person in the morning.

3) Because the front seats do not need to be moved at all, moving off in an emergency situation for any reason is easy.

We had a MK5 Transit Duetto for 7 years and a MK7 for 6, during which time we used the vans for about 4½ months a year and racked up over 120,000 miles (including going to the North Cape of Norway 4 times).

Michael

edited for spelling and syntax errors

I have owned 2004 Duetto from almost new. It is our seventh camper and we have travelled most of Europe in it. It has not let us down once and is the best van we have ever had. Not a bit of rust on it but it is important to keep the wheel arches clean because they can be prone to rust so check them out.

I like the fact that it is rear wheel drive, we had traction problems going uphill with front wheel drive on steep hills. The 2.4 diesel engine really pulls well and is very economical . Would not change it for the world !

I rarely post on here but always watch. Thanks to Derek Uzzle and Tracker !

Hope you find your dream van and good luck.

Thanks Michael, maybe I should have bought a Duetto and not a Symbol after all as it sounds a much better bet, but in my defence it was time critical as I very urgently needed a van with a wide enough door and ramps to get my wife's wheelchair in and the only one I could get within 14 days was a Symbol - but that's another tale!

Guest pelmetman
TeePee - 2018-01-24 3:47 PM

I have owned 2004 Duetto from almost new. It is our seventh camper and we have travelled most of Europe in it. It has not let us down once and is the best van we have ever had. Not a bit of rust on it but it is important to keep the wheel arches clean because they can be prone to rust so check them out.

I like the fact that it is rear wheel drive, we had traction problems going uphill with front wheel drive on steep hills. The 2.4 diesel engine really pulls well and is very economical . Would not change it for the world !

I rarely post on here but always watch. Thanks to Derek Uzzle and Tracker !

Hope you find your dream van and good luck.

WOT NO RUST???? 8-) ........

Take it back immediately and demand a refund ;-) .......Coz it wasn't built by Ford :D .......

Although you may well of sensibly had it rust proofed from day one? B-) ........

I went down the more expensive route of building garages 8-) .......

Although that said they did make me more money than rust treatment :D ........

Archived