Older Tom Tom Sat Navs

Basil

Due to the way TT have notified users of the imminent cessation of support for older units some of you may already be aware that TT are, according to my e-mail received today, stopping support for older units with 2GB or less internal memory.

The reason I am bringing this up is that the reasons being given i.e. 'the internal memory is no longer sufficient to support new maps and software updates' does not figure for models that have an SD card slot.

Taking my GO720, the internal memory of 2GB is only being used by 200MB leaving 1.71GB free whilst the SD card holds the mapping and still has 1.55GB free! I have always subscribed to map and camera updates so have the latest, until now, software on board.

Anyone buying a sat nav from Tom Tom be aware that when 'Lifetime' is stated in the advertising Tom Tom are determining what 'Lifetime' means, as, when they decide to stop supporting not the lifetime of the unit. Whilst I realise that they can determine what terms they like, until now they have said they would support all units until they failed or were were incompatible with new mapping, clearly the reasons being given that older models have insufficient memory are not truthful in all cases.

I believe that this is just a crude attempt to make you buy a new model!

I have contacted Tom Tom with my observations but to date have had no reply, also there is a lot of complaint/ activity about this on the Tom Tom Forum.

Bas

AFAIK 'lifetime' has always been as long as they 'want' to continue support, Garmin has the same terms.

p.s. I should add, this was one of the reasons when I purchased my last TT I went for the latest model as opposed to a discounted older model.

Whilst I accept that that is their decision when to stop supporting, it is the deceit that is used to justify their action I object to.

Be upfront and say we are not supporting any longer because we want you to buy a new one, not pretend that the model you have cannot accept new maps because the Internal Memory is too low then in the next sentence say but you can still load new maps until your subscription runs out (yet to be seen)!

Bas

Thanks for the info Basil.

Personally I never have subscribed to the need for updating maps or devices as so little changes it was never worth, to me anyway, the cost as we never had any problem interpolating road changes, particularly as the TT nearly always re routed itself and kept us going the right way over a good 10 year, and still working well, lifespan.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2018-01-22 4:07 PM

I doubt that I will ever need to buy another dedicated Satnav now. There are so many other options, none of them at such eyewatering cost.

I've bought a map and a pen with which I'll draw on the new roads :D ........

I only turn on the sat nav when I need stereo nagging >:-) ........

This ‘no support for older sat-navs’ decision by TomTom was evidently known about at least a year ago.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-x00-x50-series-one-start-ease-xl-xxl-tomtom-home-23/map-updates-withdrawn-for-older-models-1015995

I use an Apple iMac and Apple does not continue to support older releases of the OS X operating system indefinitely. This (understandable) approach by Apple impacted on my usage of a Garmin sat-nav with free lifetime map updating as, when Apple ceased supporting the OS X operating system I was using, Garmin revised the way in which map updates could be performed by Apple computer users. In order to continue to update my Garmin’s software and mapping, I was compelled to update my computer’s operating system, which - although it cost nothing - was not something I particularly wanted to do. (If it ain’t broke, etc.) And there’ll come a time - not too far away - when my present computer will essentially become obsolete and will require replacement.

Obsolescence (planned or otherwise) is generally not looked on with favour, but it’s a fact of life in this electronic age.

Archived