Applying for a CritAir Sticker

StuartO

Just done it, straightforward, as follows:

1. Scan your V5C Registration Document, page 2 only, into .pdf, .jpeg or .png format and reduce the file size to less than 400Kb

2. Goto https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

3. Select English at top right
  4. Click on "Applying for your Certificate"
  5. Click on "Vehicles Registered Abroad"
  6. Agree to the T&Cs and confirm that your V5C is up to date by ticking the boxes, then click Next
  7. Click on "Add vehicle"
  8. Enter your vehicle details as indicated, noting that the correct vehicle category for a MH is "private cars", leave Commercial Description blank, Environmental Description is "No indication of environmental description", leave CO2 (in g/km) blank
  9. Click "Browse" to upload your scanned V5C image
  10. Click "Save"
  11. The website then takes you to a payment section, which is straightforward.
If you don't know how to reduce the filesize of a scanned image file:

1. I use a freeware image editing program called Irfanview so you will first need to download that by searching via google.
  2. Click on File, Open, then located your image file and click on it - the image should then appear.
  3. Click File, Save As and you should then get an option to specify the file type (choose .jpg) and type in the file size you want to reduce to, which is 400 Kb.
  4. Then just name the file and save it.

Did I get it right Derek?  :-)

OK if you have a scanner and - if you have an iMac like me - producing a sub-400kb image-file of the V5C page should be a simple matter not requiring any add-on image editing software.

Probably trickier if one takes a photograph of the V5C page and/or are accessing the internet via a phone or tablet.

For the scan I just used standard settings on my old HP PSC, I've not delved to deeply into my new m/c but guess there will be an option to change scan settings to get sub 400mb.

My phone produces photo's of around 5Mb, having a relatively slow internet connection uploading several of these to say eBay is a pain so I use paint to reduce size by selecting a width of around 1800mp.

With the scan or photo you can probably get away with using software you have.

If you open the image in Paint (Windows users) you can then select "Resize". Start with a copy of the original and do it by percentage - try 50% (make sure that "Maintain aspect ration is ticked) and save the file. See how big it is and then increase or decrease the percentage until you are happy.

StuartO - 2018-01-24 9:38 AMJust done it, straightforward, as follows:

1. Scan your V5C Registration Document, page 2 only, into .pdf, .jpeg or .png format and reduce the file size to less than 400Kb

2. Goto https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

3. Select English at top right
  4. Click on "Applying for your Certificate"
  5. Click on "Vehicles Registered Abroad"
  6. Agree to the T&Cs and confirm that your V5C is up to date by ticking the boxes, then click Next
  7. Click on "Add vehicle"
  8. Enter your vehicle details as indicated, noting that the correct vehicle category for a MH is "private cars", leave Commercial Description blank, Environmental Description is "No indication of environmental description", leave CO2 (in g/km) blank
  9. Click "Browse" to upload your scanned V5C image
  10. Click "Save"
  11. The website then takes you to a payment section, which is straightforward.
If you don't know how to reduce the filesize of a scanned image file:

1. I use a freeware image editing program called Irfanview so you will first need to download that by searching via google.
  2. Click on File, Open, then located your image file and click on it - the image should then appear.
  3. Click File, Save As and you should then get an option to specify the file type (choose .jpg) and type in the file size you want to reduce to, which is 400 Kb.
  4. Then just name the file and save it.

Did I get it right Derek?  :-)

Thanks Stuart. Your guide made the whole thing pretty painless. :-D

Archived