Autotrail 635 SE AUTOMATIC

sandalwood

Hi, anyone have reviews or advice regarding above. Downsizing from my large Motorhome. Have looked at many smaller van conversions but there are not many automatic. Space between cooking area seems limited, turn sideways together at drawers etc. Any feedback would be welcome.

Ian

sandalwood - 2018-01-26 3:09 PM

Hi, anyone have reviews or advice regarding above. Downsizing from my large Motorhome. Have looked at many smaller van conversions but there are not many automatic. Space between cooking area seems limited, turn sideways together at drawers etc. Any feedback would be welcome.

Ian

I have looked at these vans and on the face of it they are very nice. However, before purchase check the payload. By the time you add a couple of extras the available payload is under 300kgs which is not that great.

Unfortunately when you downsize space is always a compromise. There are many makes of motorhome with an automatic gearbox option but you will always run into space issues when opting for a panel van.

There are online reviews of these motorhomes - just google.

We downsized from an AutoTrail Tracker EKS not a large van in any case to a V Line 635SE in July 2017. We like the length 6.36m and the width 2.05m, being just over six feet tall I have no problem with the internal height although the cab area is raised above the rest of the floor, so I have banged my head a couple of times. We have the 2.3l Euro 6 engine which is very responsive but maybe lacks power in lower gears which doesn't really matter. Now doing around 30mpg, never got more than 25mpg out of the Tracker. We were worried about storage but as will all vans we empty out the old stuff in the garage and only put back what we need. The narrow part is only a problem with the microwave, you soon get used to opening the cupboards fridge etc. We have done away with the microwave and converted the space into an extra cupboard but as its a retro fit the cupboard is still the same depth as the microwave which we don't like. We have also changed cupboard shelves to provide more storage. For sleeping we use mattress toppers and Duvalay quilts and these and the pillows all fit in the nearside locker. The bathroom is quite good, not fond of the folding sink but it does work and I have got used to washing in 2inches of water. Again we have never used the shower in any of our vans so have taken it out a long with the curtain and fitted a rail from front to back on which we hang our wet weather gear.

Gas tank is fine as is the solar panel and all electrics and gas controls are easy to use and to date have proved very reliable. The only problem we foresee is carrying outdoor chairs, up to now we put them inside to travel and underneath on site but I am in the process of fitting a Fiamma bike rack to take these. We had a RoadPro satellite system fitted which so far has proved very very good but we have only been down as far as Saumur in Fracce so don't know what it will, be like farther south.

Question would we have another yes, factory made without the microwave. It is very easy to drive, because we know that where white van delivery man goes we can as well.

We looked at the Autotrail V- Line in 2014 when looking to buy our first van. it looked very nice on the surface but I was not at all impressed by the build quality as every example I looked at in dealers had numerous faults and broken fittings.

We went for a 6.36m Vantage Neo which has a rear lounge layout with the ability to use the front seats with a small table, similar to the Autotrail 635SE. A key difference with the Vantage is the U-shaped lounge which provides a good bit more boot space. In my opinion the build quality is in a different league to the Autotrail and it has performed faultlessly over the last 4 years. The layout works very well in practice. There is loads of storage space inside and a very spacious kitchen. The outside storage space is a bit lacking and we have to carry our large ramps and chairs inside but this is not a great problem in the scale of things and we are happy with the compromise in order to get the large comfy lounge. We get 28mpg on average with the 150 engine and Comfortmatic gearbox. The auto gearbox is wonderful and makes the whole driving experience much more relaxing. Easy to drive and no problems parking.

Vantage have just received two awards in the Practical Motorome owners survey for the following:

First, scoring a satisfaction rating of 89%, Vantage was crowned the top manufacturer of new motorhomes.

Then it ‘did the double’, also picking up the prize for the best supplying dealer of new motorhomes, with a superb score of 97%.

This is in line with my own experience with Vantage in respect of the quality of their vans and the quality of their after sales service.

We looked at many van conversions at the NEC but ended up with a coach built due to short beds or too expensive for our budget.

We were impressed with Wildax however and they do make automatic versions so you might consider checking them out.

Good luck in your search.

Downsizing is bound to come with pros and cons, but for us it has worked out fine.

Yes, van conversions provide a narrower living space, which takes a little getting used to.

Our Rapido V68 van conversion is based on a Fiat Ducato, measuring 6.36m long by 2.05m wide (excluding mirrors), so exactly the same footprint as the Autotrail 635 SE.

It has the Comfortmatic gearbox with the standard 2.3 litre 130hp engine and a maximum authorised weight of 3,500kg. It drives absolutely fine and has plenty of storage in the flexible garage area at the back to hold outdoor tables, chairs/recliners, large ramps and all the other paraphernalia we cart around. No need to carry any items loose in the van.

It has four belted travel seats and large comfy fixed rear singles, a 135 litre three-way automatic fridge-freezer and an adequate bathroom.

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_vans_vans_v68.chtml

We bought it new just over 18 months ago and it's proved a great compromise for: living space; versatility and drive-ability. The latter is the best of all.

As regards downsizing we have gone from a Burstner coachbuilt , which was 6.2m long and the usual very wide mirrors on the cab, to the Autotrail 610SE which is 6m long but much narrower and therefore both more manoeuvrable, and less roomy!

As has been previously mentioned, we likewise took everything out of the Burstner, and realised that not that much of it was actually required!!

We've kept the microwave and do find this useful, and by carefully repositioning storage of the table top into the loo room, have space behind the drivers seat for small picnic chairs.- sun loungers and larger items travel in the loo, and being on the smaller base vehicle we are within the usual full speed limits- however there have been a number of postings which suggest that the longer versions 635/636 may exceed the weight limit for this, and additionally, as the base vehicle itself is heavier, compromise the actually net carrying amount - our is shown as 550k and that is adequate

Don't know if the OP is aware but there is a dedicated v-line group on Facebook, - Autotrail v-line owners group, as well as one for Autotrail Motorhome Owners. Both are easy to join, and provide lots of information.

, .

If having a automatic is essential but you can't find one on the van of your dreams consider fitting auto clutch, sometimes referred to as click and go.

Costs about £1600.00 fitted not as good as an auto as you have to change gear yourself but you don't have to use the clutch pedal and it does creep like an auto in heavy traffic.

Pete

Archived