Tom Tom updates

flicka

flicka - 2018-01-29 2:05 PM

Tom Tom have announced that they are stopping Map updates for many models, including some that are still currently on sale.

Full list of affected models are listed on their website.

I gather this is 'old news'. So much for the 'Lifetime' map updates. Yet another company reneges on their promises. Quelle surprise . >:-(

When this sat nav needs replacing, it will NOT be a Tom Tom.

The timing is not good given that some of these devices, as flicka mentions, are reported to have been sold over Christmas. That's either bad planning or devious.

The terms and conditions both Tom Tom and Garmin have clear definitions as to what is considered 'Lifetime maps' . In Tom Tom's case it is "Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories."

Tom Tom are simply doing what they are entitled to do when a product reaches the end of its lifetime for example the device can no longer be updated because it cannot run the updated software.

Does anyone have an email contact for TomTom please as I can't find the login details for my devices and all their website does is go round and round asking the same unanswerable questions without giving me an answer or any clue how to contact them to sort it out.

Thanks.

I believe you’ll be out of luck if you are expecting to find some sort of ‘master’ email address for TomTom to which you can address an inquiry because (as you’ve found out) that’s not the way it works.

There are FAQs that advise what to do if a TomTom account’s password is forgotten, but I think your problem is more radical than that. (I’m not a TomTom user, so I’ve no hands-on experience of their system.)

Your best bet would be to join the TomTom discussions forum and (if you can’t find an answer in the FAQ sections there) ask for advice.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/

Many thanks Dereks both, I've emailed both of those in the first email and if fails I will try the forum group mentioned in the second.

I did find a 'resolver' enquiry form that I also sent to Tomtom and we shall see.

Looks like Tomtom has morphed into yet another company that promises the world and once it has yer cash does not want to know?

Hi Tracker

I would suggest you try Customer support .

United Kingdom

02079 490 134

Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Regarding the units that TT have announced they are no longer supporting they are the units with 2GB of internal memory and do not include units that have been on sale in recent years.

On the website there are details of the models and the particular versions of the models that are affected.For example the Via 120 is listed but my unit is not affected.

Some years back we had some one on here complaining about Garmin doing just the same.

The models which are no longer being supported are older models, if anyone's brought one lately it will be old stock.

I'm not a fan of TT support or forums, someone on here solved a problem with displaying certain POI's on my old Via125, I posted this on the forums and to TT support only to be told (in effect) I was an idiot.

Tracker - 2018-01-29 7:17 PM

Many thanks Dereks both, I've emailed both of those in the first email and if fails I will try the forum group mentioned in the second.

I did find a 'resolver' enquiry form that I also sent to Tomtom and we shall see.

Looks like Tomtom has morphed into yet another company that promises the world and once it has yer cash does not want to know?

Providing a discussion forum is an efficient way for an organisation to handle inquiries and not necessarily a bad thing for the inquirers. For instance, if every ‘technical’ question asked here were instead emailed to MMM magazine’s “Tech help!” team, the workload on that team would be enormous. As it is, many of the questions asked here are not unique and can rapidly be resolved (or at least effectively addressed!) within the forum community. And that will generally be true for owners of TomTom devices asking on the TomTom forum.

A little while ago I was curious about an aspect of my BT-provided broadband service and asked about this on the BTCare Community Forum. This forum has several ‘layers’ of partticipants and, if it becomes clear that an inquiry can’t be handled satisfactorily within the bottom layer, a member of BT will step in. This happened in my case and a BT technician eventually phoned me to discuss the issue. From what I’ve seen of the TomTom forum something similar happens there, with TomTom employees being prepared to become involved with an inquiry when necessary.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-30 8:53 AM

A little while ago I was curious about an aspect of my BT-provided broadband service and asked about this on the BTCare Community Forum. This forum has several ‘layers’ of partticipants and, if it becomes clear that an inquiry can’t be handled satisfactorily within the bottom layer, a member of BT will step in. This happened in my case and a BT technician eventually phoned me to discuss the issue. From what I’ve seen of the TomTom forum something similar happens there, with TomTom employees being prepared to become involved with an inquiry when necessary.

A similar system applies to TalkTalk.

Funny enough some 9 years ago I was contacted by Fiat UK after I 'quoted' a post on here which contained a photo of a damaged part, I directed them to the OP, but I see they haven't logged in for many a year.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-29 6:23 PM

Your best bet would be to join the TomTom discussions forum and (if you can’t find an answer in the FAQ sections there) ask for advice.

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/

Thanks Derek, I couldn't see anything helpful in the FAQs so I tried to access the website to ask a question but it appears, unless I just can't find the way, to want me to subscribe before I can do this?

The problem then is that whatever email address I try to use it tells me there is an existing account but having had no less than four TomToms over lots of years and as I have no record or memory of any passwords let alone which password applied to which TomTom I cant get any further.

It's not helped by fuzzy brain syndrome which also discourages me from phoning them as at least with an email I get a chance to think about what I want to say!

It was not helped by TT insisting I used a different email address and password for each device.

If I could just cancel all accounts and start again life would be more straight forward but I can't see how I can do that if I can't log on to any of the 3 currently owned devices?

I only really need to update the latest (two year old) 510GO as is allegedly came with free map updates, but it would be good to update the two much older ones, if possible, before giving them away.

Aploogies for being a pain!

It appears that when I downloaded TomTom 'my drive' for the latest GO510 it displaced the previous TomTom 'Drive' that I had used to update the previous XL and GO730.

Reinstalling 'Home' has enabled me to update the various aspects except maps for the two older devices so if anyone would like one please let me know!

Archived